Trip Advice for SWC #3 CHI to LAX – TE #422 LAX to CHI June 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic981

Train Attendant
Salutations and Hallucinations,

I am flying from DEN into MDW in mid-June 2016 to take a long distant joyride on Amtrak. I am planning on taking the Orange Line from MDW to the downtown loop and getting off at the Quincy stop, then walking to CUS. I will have approximately 4 ½ to get from MDW to CUS where I am ticketed in a roomette on the SWC #3 to LAX. I have a layover in Los Angeles of approximately 13 ¾ hours until returning to CHI in a roomette on TE #422. After arriving in CHI, I will have nearly six ¾ hours to take the Orange Line to MDW for my flight home to DEN.

I understand a few changes have occurred within Amtrak since traveling on the SWC #4 back in October 2014. I would like some insight or tips that the members of Amtrak Unlimited may have to make this joyride trip more enjoyable. I am currently in nursing school and will be graduating this June. This trip is my graduation present to myself as well as a way to unplug and study for my upcoming NCLEX (nursing board exam).

I would like to have some authentic Chicago Style Pizza while in Chicago, however, I have yet to find any places close to the Orange Line or CUS that I could stop in and get a slice. When I last visited LA, I flew into Burbank Airport and took the Surfliner to LAUS. I was able to run down to Phillippe’s for lunch before boarding the Southwest Chief.

Any suggestions as to where to go while in Chicago or Los Angeles with the limited time I have in each city is most appreciated.

John

I'm sure you'll get lots of Pizza place suggestions. The three that I recall AUers talking about are:

Giordano's - which is just a few blocks east of CUS on Jackson.

Beggars' - about a block west on Jackson (or just south of Jackson)

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria

Nice trip!

As was said, the three Pizza joints in Chicago are all good.But to the West of Union Station is Greek Town with many cafes, Lou Mitchell's ( sort of a Chicago Philippe) and Al's Roast Beef( with Peppers is the way to go!). I've found them all better than the Pizza Joints mentioned! YMMV

As for LAX, be sure and buy a day pass and utilize the subways to visit Hollywierd and sight see. Pinks is THE place for fantastic Hot Dogs. Since you already know about Philipe I'm sure you've been through Olvera Street ( Mexican and Cal-Mex) so I suggest you head over Downtown and visit the International Market for some Market Chow from all over the world prepared by natives of the various countries concerned.

When you get to El Paso look for the Burrito lady ( beside the Station entrance thru the platform fence, they don't let her on the platform anymore)), the delicious Green Chile Burritos are like $3 and huge, bet you can only eat one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back