trip advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm planning on a long distance rail trip for the end of March. I'm waffling on two possible routes and can't decide which to take.

Option #1 Start in CHI take EB to PDX, then CS to LAX then fly home

Option #2 Start in WAS, take CL to CHI, then CZ to EMY then fly home

Option #3 Start in CHI, take EB to PDX, CS to SAC, CZ back to CHI

I'm leaning on option 1 or 2, I'm afraid I might get tired of the train during option 3, 5 nights in a row might be a bit much.

Any thoughts on this?

Depending on how much train experience you have, you may actually find 5 nights isn't enough! I did the infamous Columbus Loophole last summer which is Kansas City to Chicago via Los Angeles, Portland and Columbus WI and the trip ended WAY TOO SOON.

Now I am assuming you plan to do Sleeper all the way through? And depending on your time frame, I'd cut the air out as that will only risk ruining your adventure :eek:

Depending on how much train experience you have, you may actually find 5 nights isn't enough! I did the infamous Columbus Loophole last summer which is Kansas City to Chicago via Los Angeles, Portland and Columbus WI and the trip ended WAY TOO SOON.

Now I am assuming you plan to do Sleeper all the way through? And depending on your time frame, I'd cut the air out as that will only risk ruining your adventure :eek:
Yes, sleeper all the way. I have to fly on front and back end as I am actually starting from Charlotte. I just don't have enough time off to complete an entire look from CLT and back. I considered flying to Washington and starting from there, but years ago I did the CL to CHI then the SW Chief to LAX, so I've already done that route. That was my only train trip except for several trips to and from NY this last year on the Carolinian.

I guess the decision is which would be better in late March, the EB or the CZ. I don't know if I have time to do them both on one trip.

WOW! Not knowing you makes it a little hard to give advice. BUT, the 1st trip I did was Tampa, DC, Chicago, Seattle, Sacremento, Chicago, DC, Tampa ( 11 days on the train) & that just gave me a taste!!! Since then I've done quite a bit more and 2 more cross country's commin up!!!

Join Amtrak Guest Rewards & start earning points!

Have Fun

I'd be vaguely concerned about taking the Empire Builder at the end of March, because of Red River flooding. The snowpack is above-average again this winter, and while flooding there is usually an April problem, the Red River did crest on 3/28/09. Also, I think that late March is probably the least attractive time for the high plains. Late May, on the other hand, is usually the prettiest time.

I think #3 sounds great, but do you have an extra day or two to get off the train and stay somewhere? I'm a pretty big railfan but I know I couldn't just sit on a train for days and days no matter how pretty the scenery was. I have to get off and go for nice long walk and sleep in a big comfy bed and eat a fresh and tasty meal made from scratch. Even if I was riding the Canadian I think I would have to stop somewhere and do some personal exploring while I waited for the next train.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are buying this trip, then I'd break it up, add a couple of nites if you can. Getting off the Am-Can for a night in a real hotel can do wonders. But, if you are going back-to-back, then I don't think you'll be unhappy.

I did 4 nites (CS / EB / CL) with my 14 year-old son this past fall, (Roomette) and I was DEF ready to set foot on land by the time we got to D.C.

Trip # 3 get's you a lot of scenery, and would be my top pick. Second choice would be option # 1, then last would be # 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think #3 sounds great, but do you have an extra day or two to get off the train and stay somewhere? I'm a pretty big railfan but I know I couldn't just sit on a train for days and days no matter how pretty the scenery was. I have to get off and go for nice long walk and sleep in a big comfy bed and eat a fresh and tasty meal made from scratch. Even if I was riding the Canadian I think I would have to stop somewhere and do some personal exploring while I waited for the next train.
I hadn't considered that, thanks for mentioning it. Maybe I'll push up the date and go a week earlier. April and May aren't options due to my work schedule. It's March or wait till next year.

If you have the time and you're paying for the trip, here's option #4 that I would do!
wink.gif

#4-1) Fly to WAS, take the CL to CHI, the SWC to LAX and the CS to SEA or PDX. Stay there a day or two.

#4-2) Take the CS from SEA or PDX to SAC, the CS to CHI and either the CL or Cardinal to WAS and fly home.

Prior to 4/1, the CS is operating 2 hours later. Thus, the connection in SAC is at 8 AM until 11 AM, instead of 6 AM until 11 AM!

Also, be certain to join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) before you travel! If you haven't yet joined, and would like a referral, send me a Private Message (PM).

All of the options sound interesting. Based upon what has been discussed, I'd go with option 1 and take a break at PDX. As daxomni pointed out, weather could be a factor. Other issues could be factors as well. So, I'd say consider possibility that service disruption could occur, go with the flow in the best way possible, make the most of the trip and enjoy yourself!

Thanks to all who replied. I decided on a different option. I'm flying to SEA to start my trip. I'll go SEA SAC on the CS and spend a day visiting friends there. Then I'm taking the CZ to CHI connecting to the CL and end my trip in WAS. I wanted to do the EB and CZ, but I can't fit both in on this trip, especially considering possible delays and flood issues in late March for the EB. I'll have to try the EB on another trip. I have the following rooms, CS room 2, CZ room 4, CL room 5. I'm not sure if these are good or bad, I think they are on the upper level which is fine with me. Anyway, I'm excited about the trip and can't wait!!

Thanks to all who replied. I decided on a different option. I'm flying to SEA to start my trip. I'll go SEA SAC on the CS and spend a day visiting friends there. Then I'm taking the CZ to CHI connecting to the CL and end my trip in WAS. I wanted to do the EB and CZ, but I can't fit both in on this trip, especially considering possible delays and flood issues in late March for the EB. I'll have to try the EB on another trip. I have the following rooms, CS room 2, CZ room 4, CL room 5. I'm not sure if these are good or bad, I think they are on the upper level which is fine with me. Anyway, I'm excited about the trip and can't wait!!
:hi: Good get on the rooms, some of the best on a superliner, nice trip! Sounds like youre hooked, welcome to the club! ^_^

I'm planning on a long distance rail trip for the end of March. I'm waffling on two possible routes and can't decide which to take.

I'm leaning on option 1 or 2, I'm afraid I might get tired of the train during option 3, 5 nights in a row might be a bit much.

Any thoughts on this?
My first ever Amtrak trip was the SWC to LA from Chi and down to SanDiego on Surfliner

and we flew home , and I kicked myself all the way home for not going round trip on

Amtrak!! We are now going on trip #5 SWC CS EB in March! also if your dates are not

firm try different dates as fairs will be different from day to day depending on which

"Bucket" is open, I would go for #3 and spend a night or two in Pdx or Sac!!

Have fun

Trainfan

Any thoughts on this?
My first ever Amtrak trip was the SWC to LA from Chi and down to SanDiego on Surfliner

and we flew home , and I kicked myself all the way home for not going round trip on

Amtrak!! We are now going on trip #5 SWC CS EB in March! also if your dates are not

firm try different dates as fairs will be different from day to day depending on which

"Bucket" is open, I would go for #3 and spend a night or two in Pdx or Sac!!

Have fun

Trainfan
I'd like to but I just can't take that much time away from work. I'm leaving March 27 by the way, when are you going? Maybe we'll cross paths.

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy! Seattle is a great place to visit, even if it's just overnight. I know how it feels in regards to having limitations in trip scheduling due to work. I have to speak for vacation time well in advance.

Again, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back