trip on State House, Empire Builder (part 2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I was scheduled on the 7:35 AM departure on the Empire Builder (8/28), from St Paul back to Chicago. I stayed the night before at the Days Inn on University Avenue in St Paul; its about a 3 block walk from the station to the hotel. The hotel has a free shuttle that will pick up passengers when the train arrives, and take them to the station in the morning; there is a sign posted in the statiion with the information and the phone number. When I checked into the hotel, the clerk informed me that the shuttle departed from the hotel lobby at 7:00 AM. I returned the Hertz rental car to the station after checking in, and took the short walk back. There is a restaurant/lounge on-site, offering room service, along with an indoor pool and whirlpool. The rate I was charged, being an Amtrak passenger, was $65.00. The wake up call came at the assigned time, the check out was quick and smooth, and the shuttle was on-time to go back to the station.

I checked in for the train, and the conductor checking the tickets sent me out to coach (I had a sleeper ticket). I boarded the last car, and proceeded up the stairs towards roomette 9. The car attendant stopped me with a "where are you going"? I told him which roomette, and he questioned me, twice, with a "are you sure"? I gave him my stub, and he informed me that the room that I was assigned to was already occupied. He then went to the conductor, and they got me a different room; roomette 8 (again). I ended up in car 2830, roomette 8. I figured that would be great, because I'd get to see the scenery out of the opposite side going back to Chicago. It was not to be however, as we were connected to the next car at the other end this time; the end by the bedrooms. So, I watched the same scenery, but, that's alright; its was enjoyable from either side. The train consist this time was identical to the 7 from my trip out, with the exception of an additional locomotive: 3 locomotives, baggage car, crew dorm/transition sleeper (again, just guessing here, as I didn't get that far up front to look), Seattle sleeper, diner car, 2 Seattle coaches, observation/lounge car, 2 Portland coaches, and the Portland sleeper. I got myself settled into my roomette, and we departed on time at 7:35 AM. I could definitely tell that the train was on the last portion of the trip, rather than the beginning of the trip; the carpet was dirty, additional trash around the interior, cosmetic things like that. Of course, that is to be expected I guess, so, it was no problem for me, nor for any of the other passengers that I was talking with. I skipped breakfast, so, I can't make any comments on what was included. I went for lunch in the dining car, and was seated with a lady on her way back to Portland, Maine, and a couple that was coming form Portland, OR to Chicago to spend the weekend. Two of us ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, one ordered the buffalo chicken pizza, and the fourth ordered the salad with sliced chicken breast. The sandwich was good and the pizza was good. However, the lady that ordered the salad did not like the chicken breast that was on it; she thought it tasted like it had been soaking in a marinade, and it was too salty for her. Other than that, she said the salad was good, and all the portions, of course, were more than adequate. I headed back to my roomette for the duration of the trip. I overheard someone in another room commenting on the speed of the train, and that he had clocked it going a mile in 45 seconds; working out to be 80 MPH. I thought the scenery was flying by.....Overall the trip was uneventful, but, I was a little upset that I never saw the car attendant again after he got the room snafu fixed for me. If this had been my very first trip, I would have be completely in the dark as far as where to go for meals, etc. Luckily, I knew this from the previous trip. We arrived 13 minutes early into Chicago, at 3:27 PM.

I went into the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for my last leg home to St Louis. I was scheduled on the State House (train 305), with a departure time of 5:15 PM. Again, I had 'splurged' for the business class. At 4:45, I headed to the gate to board. Again, the consist was a locomotive, a business/cafe car, and three coaches. We departed on time at 5:15. I had a relatively full car on this trip, and the coaches appeared to be fairly full as well. No delays on the trip home, until we got to St Louis, right outside the station. They were switching a freight, and so we had to wait for that to be completed. We ended up arriving only 3 minutes late, at 10:46 PM.

Overall, it was a great trip, and I can't wait for the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back