Trip planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John M

Dear experienced riders...

Our family (2 and 2) are planning on going from Albany NY to Denver in Aug 2005. We might over night from NYC to Chigago or maybe hit Niagra Falls on the way. Our thought then is to overnight from Chigago to Denver (sleeper). Any advice from anyone? Many thanks, John

You have 2 choices depending on finances. The family bedroom will hold 2 adults and 2 children. It is on the lower level. Facilities are down the hall. The best, if you have the money, is 2 connecting deluxe bedrooms. They have facilities including showers.

Many thanks for the advice. Do the "facilities" include showers?

Sorry for the repetition... I mean the facilities down the hall.

John,

In a deluxe room, there is a toilet/shower closet right in your room. I say closet, because it really is tiny. In fact Amtrak actually has a sign in the closet suggesting that you sit on the toilet lid, while trying to take a shower. I'm 5'11" and weigh 160 and I'm smashing my elbows into the walls when I try to shower in the deluxe room's shower.

So I normally go downstairs on the Superliner cars, the double decker cars, and shower in the public shower. That public shower is right down the hall from the family bedroom, which is also on the lower level of the car.

Please note that the single level sleepers, the Viewliners, that you would encounter should you ride east of Chicago, does not have a family room. It only has deluxe and standard rooms.

I would also mention that your kids would need to be approximately 12 or under to use the family room. The kids beds in the family room are only 4' 9" so if your kids are taller than that, you will have to get either two deluxe rooms or two standard rooms.

You can find diagrams with dimensions of Amtrak's bedrooms by clicking here. A virtual tour is available here. Next, this link will show you the basic layout of Amtrak's sleepers so you can get an idea where the rooms are in relation to the shower and public restrooms.

Finally, you might wish to check out these travel tips from On Track On Line, which is chocked full of hints, tips, and what to expect from an Amtrak train trip.

Hope this helps some. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post them. :)

Alan<

Thanks so much for all the info. We are excited - never been on a train!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back