Trip Report. Steve introduces Rosalyn to the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The VIA Canadian arrives in Vancouver at a completely random time of day. We were told that if we arrived one minute past midnight, we could stay in the sleepers until 6am. A few crew had to stay with us. Then we could go to the spacious first class lounge and drink coffee and eat snacks as long as we liked until we figured out where we wanted to go next.

The VIA Canadian arrives in Vancouver at a completely random time of day. We were told that if we arrived one minute past midnight, we could stay in the sleepers until 6am. A few crew had to stay with us. Then we could go to the spacious first class lounge and drink coffee and eat snacks as long as we liked until we figured out where we wanted to go next.
Amtrak, TAKE NOTES.

Knowing we'd be late, I didn't bother to book a hotel for the alleged day of arrival. I figured I could find something if we happened to get there in the mid afternoon.

I had a fancy hotel booked for the next night. At about 10am, I called the hotel from the lounge, told them we'd just spent four days on a train, and asked if they happened to have any sort of room ready. They were extremely helpful and put us in a nice high suite right away. We uber'd over and immediately took a nap!

Amtrak unceremoniously canceled my return trip today n 6 on 7/2. No 630 car. They reaccommodated
Us. on the 8/4 departure of 6. The take or leave it attitude of all Amtrak employees involved in this fiasco led me to Vance the last leg. And all future reservations fir this summer. I’m done. I can ride trains in other countries or not at all.

Amtrak unceremoniously canceled my return trip today n 6 on 7/2. No 630 car. They reaccommodated
Us. on the 8/4 departure of 6. The take or leave it attitude of all Amtrak employees involved in this fiasco led me to Vance the last leg. And all future reservations fir this summer. I’m done. I can ride trains in other countries or not at all.
I'm confused, what happened?

I'm confused, what happened?
He was inthe 630 car, however there were few sold rooms in the 630 (transition - I think) car, so they removed it from the consist and everyone on it got screwed.

At least that's what I believe happened.

What the hell Amtrak! Steve, were you saying you were switched from a July 2nd trip to a July 4th trip? That is absolutely nuts they removed the car😡

He was inthe 630 car, however there were few sold rooms in the 630 (transition - I think) car, so they removed it from the consist and everyone on it got screwed.

At least that's what I believe happened.
What I heard was that the computer screwed up and booked people on 630 by mistake. By the time someone realized this it was too late to reaccommodate everyone on the other sleepers.

Rosalyn decided to fly back tomorrow. We found an excellent fare on southwest. I booked it for her. I think it will be a long trip me before she will consider Amtrak for a longer trip. The 2 hour delay on the starlight was bad enough. This was the straw that ended it for her on this trip.

I need a long train ride to relax from all of this.

Rosalyn decided to fly back tomorrow. We found an excellent fare on southwest. I booked it for her. I think it will be a long trip me before she will consider Amtrak for a longer trip. The 2 hour delay on the starlight was bad enough. This was the straw that ended it for her on this trip.

I need a long train ride to relax from all of this.
52 hours does count as long! Enjoy the Zephyr, I hope everything goes to plan and hopefully you have an excellent time.

I believe that there are people at Amtrak that read the posts on here. They need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

Not everyone is willing or able to prolong a trip by two days.

We drove back from Mt. Shasta today. We left quickly when we realized that the forest fire caused the Mt. Shasta Black Bear Diner to close. Once we stopped in Redding for breakfast I saw that our rental car was covered on ashes.

At one point there were fire trucks on both sides of interstate 5 and the smoke was like for. This scared the **** out of me.

Once we reached Oakland I started calling Amtrak to cancel Rosalyn’s room. Guest rewards is closed. 18008727245 is not even ringing or allowing me to speak to Julie. I get a user busy message on my phone. Pathetic.

First thing I did when I woke up was call1800usa-rail. 90 minute wait time.

Seems like that's par for the course these days with anything travel-related. Both Delta and American, when I had to reach out to them, had multiple-hour wait times as well. Even the new "reach out to them on Facebook/Twitter" trip isn't working as well recently (though if you haven't gotten a hold of Amtrak yet, might be worth private messaging them on social media.)

A positive note. I called Amtrak guest rewards. I received a full refund for Rosalyn’s ticket. This agent was knowledgeable and pleasant. She sorted out the mess I made rage canceling the first reservation and then the rebooking on a new reservation 2 hours later. Then she switched me from the right side room to left side in the. 40 car. I’m ready for Donnor pass and Glenwood canyon.

After I take Rosalyn to the airport I will be railfanning the Bay Area. Stay tuned!

A positive note. I called Amtrak guest rewards. I received a full refund for Rosalyn’s ticket. This agent was knowledgeable and pleasant. She sorted out the mess I made rage canceling the first reservation and then the rebooking on a new reservation 2 hours later. Then she switched me from the right side room to left side in the. 40 car. I’m ready for Donnor pass and Glenwood canyon.

After I take Rosalyn to the airport I will be railfanning the Bay Area. Stay tuned!
How long did you wait for AGR to answer?

I called them a few times a couple of weeks ago, and as I recall the wait times were just a few minutes during the day, but an attempt to call an hour before closing was unsuccessful. The recording before being transferred did say that they were on reduced hours (I think they were closing at 8pm), but that was not indicated on the web site.

Back