Trip to Washington, DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

At this point in time, I'm planning trip to Washington DC at the end of January/beginning of February. I plan to take the NER from NFK to WAS and transfer to the Metro system from there.

It would be my first doing this, so I wanted to know how easy that transfer is and what other Amtrak riders' experiences have been with it.

Thanks!

So you know, it's the Red Line that has its station in Union Station. This is one of six colored lines. Generally if you head towards Shady Grove and change at Metro Center or Gallery Place you can get where you want to go.

Anything more specific you need?

Oh.. stand right, walk left on the escalators in the Metro.

I have had great experience transferring to and from the Metro at Union Station. I have arrived at Ronald Regan National Airport and taken the Blue or Yellow line to connect with the Red line to and from Union....very easy. I have also arrived at Union Station on Amtrak via an overnight train and rented a car to drive to a business meeting located where there was not convenient public transit. Arriving at Union Station is similar to arriving at an airport.

It might also be possible to transfer to the Metro at Alexandria. It would be outside and unless your destination was in Virginia, I'd see little benefit in doing this.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am somewhat familiar with the Metro system (20+ years ago I rode the Blue Line from Metro Center to Stadium-Armory, and rode the Orange Line on the return). I have not traveled on any of the other lines so far.

There are two entrances from Union Station to the metro station. As you get off the train, follow the signs to the right that take you to the north entrance. Or you can go into the station to enjoy its grandeur and access the south entrance through the basement food court.

You'll need to buy one of the new fare cards to use the metro which you should be able to do as you enter the Metro station. Check the Metro web site but I think the minimum purchase price is $10. (The old paper fare cards are no longer used.) You might want to check the cost of your anticipated Metro fares so you don't put more $$ on your fare card than you will need otherwise you could end up with $$ on a fare card that may never get used again.

You'll need to buy one of the new fare cards to use the metro which you should be able to do as you enter the Metro station. Check the Metro web site but I think the minimum purchase price is $10. (The old paper fare cards are no longer used.) You might want to check the cost of your anticipated Metro fares so you don't put more $$ on your fare card than you will need otherwise you could end up with $$ on a fare card that may never get used again.
And if you happen to qualify for "senior" rates, there are a limited number of locations where you can purchase the discounted senior fare cards.

The cost of the SmarTrip card is $2. The cards can now be purchased at any of the standard ticket vending machines at a charge of $2 on top of the money paid for the initial fare. Since the minimum fare for the DC Metro is $1.75 (off-peak for short distance trips), can get one for $3.75 total. But that would enough for 1 trip only.

Easy to add money to the SmarTrip card at any ticket vending machine. But as you note, for visitors, better to only add as much as they expect to spend on Metro trips, as getting a refund for unspent $ on a SmarTrip card is not simple (and is only available for visitors living X miles from DC). The funds on the SmarTrip cards do not expire, so if there is some leftover cash on the card, keep it for the next trip to DC.

WMATA webpage for SmarTrip card info.

BTW, to the OP, be aware of possible delays and reduced service frequencies due to single tracking or major SafeTrack work periods when taking the Metro. See http://www.wmata.com/rail/trackwork.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
SmarTrip cards are also good for Metrobuses and the Circulator Buses, as well as local buses in Virginia and Maryland, not to mention the Baltimore MTA (Baltimore buses, light rail and metro.) Alas, you can't use it on MARC or VRE. MARC tickets can be had from the Quicktrak machines, and VRE has its own vending machines.

The Metro is very useful, quick, and efficient, if you don't mind an occasional change of trains. Before I retired, I would take the Crescent from SDL to ALX, then one Metro stop to our office in Arlington. Our D.C. rep and I would often need to visit a company in College Park, MD. Al would always drive, offering me to ride with him, but I opted for the Metro which had a station about 100 yards from the company's facility. Even though I had to change trains twice, I always beat Al there, most times by at least a half hour, and was enjoying a delightful cup of coffee with the receptionist. Hey, she was my age, so don't get any ungentlemanly thoughts. :p

The one thing I never liked about the DC Metro is the basically charge you for distance, and extra for peak times. I take my kids to DC every year, and the metro actually gets pretty expensive.

Its too bad because my kids all love riding subways. Most cities we visit have fixed fares (ie boston, NYC Chicago, Philly), and can often ride around for hours on a couple dollars. Not the DC metro. So we typicaly avoid the subway, if walking is reasonable. It also has other quirks, like while DC Union Station is the greatest train station in the country, and a massive train hub, its NOT a subway hub. It only has the redline, which mostly services points north of DC, so its pretty likely you will have to make a transfer.... and that will likely happen at Metro Center.. which has 4 different lines, both inbound and outbound.

Don't get me wrong, the DC stations are all really nice looking. Its not the chaos that is Times Square station or Penn station, But the first time you try to transfer at Metro, or LenFant Plaza is really overwhelming. Also annoying is there really minimal service for the entire mall. This is kinda like NY Central Park. You will get stuck walking regardless, though I found the DC Circulator really usefull. Its a city-owned tourist bus that circulates the mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back