Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As other poster have mentioned this is far from the first time that Amtrak has faced funding cuts in a Presidential budget, BUT these are very different times.

Yes, the budget will be negotiated, and so on, and some LD trains will be funded, but it will not be status quo.

Some LD's will be sacrificed, and some will wind up in less than daily schedules.

Some could wind up split into medium distance day trains.

Stay tuned..........

Amtrak doesn't have 1 attendant per coach? Why are you making statements like that when they have no basis in reality?

As to the federal jobs program... Like it or not Amtrak is providing a service. Ridership continues to increase so people are using that service.

You can argue if you think that service is needed... and the answer is no it's not. This country would go on without any rail service. It would also go on without daily subsidized mail service. And many other services we don't need.
Could have fooled me on the last 4 LD train rides. The employees opening the doors were not the conductors or the dining car staff on the coach cars.
Are you sure? Typically the conductor or assistant conductor each open a door. Sometimes one is in the baggage car.
Yup, I know the difference between a conductor/assistant conductor and a coach attendant. Also, they all hang out in the dining car and gaggle so not so hard to count them or while walking through the coach cars watching them sleep or reading in their reserved seats. You want me to take a picture of each crew member for you next time as proof???

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak doesn't have 1 attendant per coach? Why are you making statements like that when they have no basis in reality?

As to the federal jobs program... Like it or not Amtrak is providing a service. Ridership continues to increase so people are using that service.

You can argue if you think that service is needed... and the answer is no it's not. This country would go on without any rail service. It would also go on without daily subsidized mail service. And many other services we don't need.
Could have fooled me on the last 4 LD train rides. The employees opening the doors were not the conductors or the dining car staff on the coach cars.
Are you sure? Typically the conductor or assistant conductor each open a door. Sometimes one is in the baggage car.
Yup, I know the difference between a conductor/assistant conductor and a coach attendant. Also, they all hang out in the dining car and gaggle so not so hard to count them or while walking through the coach cars watching them sleep or reading in their reserved seats. You want me to take a picture of each crew member for you next time as proof???
Yes please. I've never seen one coach attendant per coach.

My opinion is that Trump will do a thorough analysis, cut the waste and improve Amtrak just like every other department. Just give him a chance!

Yes please. I've never seen one coach attendant per coach.
If Trump does not scuttle the trains and I decide to take another LD trip after the dismal experience on the SWC I will do. I'm sure the they will love me taking pictures of them yapping in the dining car taking up two tables while there is a waiting list or snoring in their seats will tickle them with joy.

My opinion is that Trump will do a thorough analysis, cut the waste and improve Amtrak just like every other department. Just give him a chance!
Oh see I thought giving him a chance meant waiting to see his budget request and finding out whether he planned to uphold his promise of infrastructure spending before writing him off as another average right wing Heritage Foundation mouthpiece.

Trump's proposed budget should reflect his thoughts on where to cut the waste after a thorough analysis. The proposed budget cuts all funding for long distance trains. Therefore, Trump believes that Amtrak's long distance trains are a waste. There's simply nothing more to wait for to see what Trump's plans are; the proposed budget is our insight into that.

Trump's staff has decided that the states need to pick up the cost for any passenger rail in their states. By doing this and eliminating Long Distance, Trump leaves Amtrak only receiving revenue from the states. Amtrak can stay in operation without Federal support. I think many of the staff and some in congress hope the states can't find the money, therefore it is the states putting an end to Amtrak bit by bit. Will it go this way? I seriously doubt it. Long Distance might survive but with no diners or Sleeper amenities (Lounges, Coffee, meals, etc.). I think they need to get the constant rise in passengers each year to reverse significantly.

Yes, the budget will be negotiated, and so on, and some LD trains will be funded, but it will not be status quo.

Some LD's will be sacrificed, and some will wind up in less than daily schedules.

'Less than daily' schedules failed miserably in the mid-90's following the Mercer (consultant) driven cuts; What makes you think they would work in 2017?

Trump's proposed budget should reflect his thoughts on where to cut the waste after a thorough analysis. The proposed budget cuts all funding for long distance trains. Therefore, Trump believes that Amtrak's long distance trains are a waste. There's simply nothing more to wait for to see what Trump's plans are; the proposed budget is our insight into that.
Exactly. The budget plans released so far indicate the administration's general philosophy regarding spending and as it pertains to Amtrak, the "improvements" it involves are cutting long distance trains.

Exactly. The budget plans released so far indicate the administration's general philosophy regarding spending and as it pertains to Amtrak, the "improvements" it involves are cutting long distance trains.
Then I guess I will be traveling outside the US to spend my LD train money ...

'Less than daily' schedules failed miserably in the mid-90's following the Mercer (consultant) driven cuts; What makes you think they would work in 2017?
Excellent point!

Why are so many people already convinced that some LD trains will be cut, based on what has always been a DOA document, the Presidential budget proposal. It almost seems like half the AU members are eager to figure out a good excuse for cutting Amtrak service. The battle has hardly been joined yet. Clearly the young whippersnappers here never lived through Stockman and Reagan.

ABSOLUTELY! Thank you for your good comment!
So, what you're saying is, that what he proposed ($0 for Amtrak Long Distance), isn't what he's proposing? We need to give him time to do a thorough analysis... AFTER he's made his recommendation?

Partisan Politics Suck.

Why are so many people already convinced that some LD trains will be cut, based on what has always been a DOA document, the Presidential budget proposal. It almost seems like half the AU members are eager to figure out a good excuse for cutting Amtrak service. The battle has hardly been joined yet. Clearly the young whippersnappers here never lived through Stockman and Reagan.
This!!!

ABSOLUTELY! Thank you for your good comment!
So, what you're saying is, that what he proposed ($0 for Amtrak Long Distance), isn't what he's proposing? We need to give him time to do a thorough analysis... AFTER he's made his recommendation? Partisan Politics Suck.
It's like watching a child trying to choose between two divorcing parents. They cannot fathom why two things they love don't also love each other. In the absence of comprehension they lash out with irrational emotion.

It's like watching a child trying to choose between two divorcing parents. They cannot fathom why two things they love don't also love each other. In the absence of comprehension they lash out with irrational emotion.
This ^ A dilemma that most committed Republicans and specially the T-Party types, who also like to avail of a train trip or two on Amtrak eternally suffer from.

Clearly the young whippersnappers here never lived through Stockman and Reagan.
OMG, what a stupid comment to make.

Trump is not Reagan, and these are very different times, and for the record I lived through and remember President's from Johnson on up.

Clearly with the budget proposed there will be some funding provided in the usual give and take of budgets, but there will be cuts, and other reductions

to make the budget work. These are very different times from anything else in the past 56, or so years.

Ken

Back