TSA Expands Invasion To CA Train Stations & Bus Terminals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 80's I remember being asked to open my TLR camera to show that there was nothing hidden inside.

TSA messing with specialized equipment is NOT what they are supposed to do - if the agent feels that there is a problem they are NOT authorized to go messing with whatever - either it's a threat and they call in local cops or airport cops - or else they should leave it alone.

TSA should be -- might not be -- instructed to -- "don't mess with what you don't understand" - and that would be any techie stuff- either call for help or leave it alone.
That was not my experience. In my case, the device appeared to him like flashlight with a pistol grip trigger mechanism. It contained 8 "C" cell batteries. My experience with laptops & CD Players, etc. has been that they want you to "turn it on" to ensure that it works. I'm sure that's all he wanted to do here... just "turn it on." But he needed to learn how to work the trigger lock. Otherwise, he'd snap it and the light would never work properly again.

As previously stated, X-Rays and swabbing... no problem. If they ask me to "turn it on" or show them how to, "no problem." But don't take it from me and go futzing with it on your own, unless you know what you're doing. I'm sure there are other parallels for other sports or activities but, in my perspective, if the TSA agents stationed near "beach/water oriented" airports, etc. etc. were to receive just a little "in service" training on how to handle diving devices, I'd feel a lot better. Doubt it's going to happen though. :angry:

I'm sorry but your story about charters is one of these urban myths that won't go away. Charter companies must submit to the same passenger computer checks that major airlines do.As for celebrities, at least in the LA area which I most familiar with, they fly from smaller airports or use charters (or their own planes) to avoid the downside of celebrity i.e. people getting in their face, etc.

If the only reason you don't fly is because of the TSA checks, then I feel a bit sorry for you because it's an overreaction. Inconveniences at times are a part of urban living. Some people might overreact and refuse to ride Amtrak because they got caught up in one of Amtrak's "inconveniences", such as a train being 7 hours late.

Both actions are over-reactions IMHO
Not really an urban myth at all. While charter companies do have to take certain precautions, there is no "security" when you get on a private or chartered aircraft. You can literally drive up to the door and walk on the aircraft. There's no screening, taking shoes off, nothing.

And for the OP, I was all over the US by Amtrak, especially in California, and didn't see a thing. Not a single TSA agent anywhere. So to say they are "taking over" might be a little off base though.

Had an officer with dog walk through NE Regional between DC and New Carrolton. Just a walk through, no conversation or other checks. It was really unobtrusive. I hope they don't go any further and start other kinds of checks, etc.

A number of posts have mentioned K-9 teams walking through stations and/or trains. I assume these have been police K-9 teams (whether Amtrak Police, local police, transit police, railroad police). I have seen Amtrak Police K-9 patrols both in stations and walking through trains, mainly in the Northeast but also in the Midwest.

A number of posts have mentioned K-9 teams walking through stations and/or trains. I assume these have been police K-9 teams (whether Amtrak Police, local police, transit police, railroad police). I have seen Amtrak Police K-9 patrols both in stations and walking through trains, mainly in the Northeast but also in the Midwest.
In my case, definitely Amtrak Police K-9 unit at LOR. The officer was also armed and in a flak jacket, etc.

Amtrak Police seem to understand how to provide security for train service a *lot* better than the TSA does.

After some really ham-handed nonsense by the TSA a few months ago, the Amtrak Chief of Police banned TSA from areas of Amtrak's jurisdiction unless they were accompanying and under the orders of Amtrak Police. (This may have been relaxed later, since apparently some TSA agents have been trained by Amtrak police now.) So we can hope that the TSA will behave themselves fairly well while under the instruction of the Amtrak Police, who actually have experience and a record of behaving professionally.

I wish there were an equivalent in the airports, a competent police force which could rein in the TSA, but there isn't.

Anyway, Amtrak's been receiving quite a bit of DHS "security" funding: they've been using most of it for sensible things, like fencing the tracks on the NEC, installing security cameras in train yards, adding secondary means of egress in case stations need to be evacuated, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back