TSA Expands Invasion To CA Train Stations & Bus Terminals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been away from the forum for a while and don't know if this is new news or old news. I know there were some stories back in 2011.

http://www.infowars....-bus-terminals/

NAVYBLUE
I have actually seen these guys at OSD before. It was a *** moment, becasue they did nothing and didn't even have drug dogs. Wasteful federal spending. If they actually want a dog to make 1 walk down the train, that's fine with me actually. I just don't like pointlessness.

I have been away from the forum for a while and don't know if this is new news or old news. I know there were some stories back in 2011.

http://www.infowars....-bus-terminals/

NAVYBLUE
I have actually seen these guys at OSD before. It was a *** moment, becasue they did nothing and didn't even have drug dogs. Wasteful federal spending. If they actually want a dog to make 1 walk down the train, that's fine with me actually. I just don't like pointlessness.
I did see the Amtrak Police K-9 unit at LOR on the Sat. of Memorial Day Weekend, but that's the only time so far in 7 round trips. And that's fine. As long as it's just the dog sniffing around, that's perfectly fine. If they start to get into mandatory "Kabuki Theater" there with the TSA, then we will have issues. <_< :angry:

Bring on the dogs. I've had three in a row walking past my seat in an Acela. Doesn't bother me in the least.

The airport dog and pony show, that is another matter... And the sad part is, it doesn't make me feel any safer.

Bring on the dogs. I've had three in a row walking past my seat in an Acela. Doesn't bother me in the least.
What happens if someone chooses to stash some drugs in your belongings? Maybe you can reason with the dog. Should be easier than reasoning with the TSA at any rate. Even as a "first time offender" you're looking at some serious changes to your lifestyle and employment. Until drugs are legalized there is plenty to be worried about, even for those of us who have no interest in them.

What happens if someone chooses to stash some drugs in your belongings? Maybe you can reason with the dog. Should be easier than reasoning with the TSA at any rate. Even as a "first time offender" you're looking at some serious changes to your lifestyle and employment. Until drugs are legalized there is plenty to be worried about, even for those of us who have no interest in them.
I believe the dogs are more geared towards explosive materials than drugs. But what happens then if someone stashed an explosive device in your bags? :eek:

I believe the dogs are more geared towards explosive materials than drugs. But what happens then if someone stashed an explosive device in your bags? :eek:
Touche. ;)

OMG!!Yeah!!! Someone once stashed a pastrami sandwich in my luggage! If the TSA were around, the dog handler would start salivating uncontrollably! :lol:

Several times last year while riding 11/14 as a T&R guide the TSA folks have been in the station in Seattle and PDX. My partner guide & I had a conversation with the Seattle team one morning before boarding #11. On another trip I had one of them demand my credentials in Portland while I was standing outside the Metropolitan Lounge watching the Cascades load.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only see dogs used on the border crossing Vancouver, B.C. to Washington State.

Never seen dogs. Seen Border Patrol on the EB in May 2010 somewhere in Montana - they just walked thru and asked if we were citizens. Figured they were doing all they could to protect the border with Canada - and didn't want to get re-assigned to Arizona or someplace hot where us Northerners just wither and die.

Heard -- this is totally hearsay - that the dogs are trained mostly on organic nitrates - like dynamite, nitroglycerin, RDX, whatever ( note that my grandad had to carry prescription nitroglycerin for his angina pectoris ) -- and so there was a lockdown at one of our west coast airports because the dogs sniffed "something BAD" --

turned out to be that a passenger had cleaned (and put away and locked and didn't take with him) his hunting rifle, and the barrel cleaner he used had some kind of nitrated solvent in it, and he'd spilled a bit on his shoes.

And don't assume that someone would have to plant drugs or whatever in your baggage to set the dogs off -- oh no -- how about some late-night druggies smoking "something" down in the vestibule by the "downstairs luggage storage rack" - or even an employee doing similar in the baggage car.

Could such a scenario lead to "remain in your seats while we investigate"

Probably could -- not likely.

Nah - what bugs me is the total waste of resources - searching for non-existent treats - that's safer for everyone involved - it's just a damned nuisance and who will resist "security". Gaargh.

And don't assume that someone would have to plant drugs or whatever in your baggage to set the dogs off -- oh no -- how about some late-night druggies smoking "something" down in the vestibule by the "downstairs luggage storage rack" - or even an employee doing similar in the baggage car.
I'm still waiting for my first rail holiday ( 2 months ) so I don't have a good idea of the layout yet. I'm no Angel, I was young once and consider myself open minded and I would prefer to smell weed rather than cigarettes...... but don't you think the odor would attrack some attention and complaints? I thought it would be like smoking on an plane. Bet the snack bar does well....... :)

I was on the Ethan Allen recently from Rutland to Albany and there were TSA Inspectors at a couple of intermediate stations and at Albany. They were just standing around.

I'm still waiting for my first rail holiday ( 2 months ) so I don't have a good idea of the layout yet. I'm no Angel, I was young once and consider myself open minded and I would prefer to smell weed rather than cigarettes...... but don't you think the odor would attrack some attention and complaints? I thought it would be like smoking on an plane. Bet the snack bar does well....... :)
Not like smoking on a plane - because the spaces aren't pressurized and shared throughout. The lower level on some Superliner coaches has no passenger seats so smokers of anything sometimes hang out there on LD trains and sometimes even crack the window (which can get them "involuntarily detrained"). But this doesn't happen often in my limited experience. Smelled weed once in the 80's on a Northwest Coast LD train. Smelled tobacco smoke once or twice since then.

The point I was trying to make was -- that for the Homeland Security -- searching for really unlikely minor threats is no danger to them - so that's what they will choose to do. And that major threats happen so rarely - like once in a few billion or trillion passenger boardings - that Homeland Security will never catch such a threat in a thousand lifetimes of doing what they do.

Not like smoking on a plane - because the spaces aren't pressurized and shared throughout. The lower level on some Superliner coaches has no passenger seats so smokers of anything sometimes hang out there on LD trains and sometimes even crack the window (which can get them "involuntarily detrained"). But this doesn't happen often in my limited experience. Smelled weed once in the 80's on a Northwest Coast LD train. Smelled tobacco smoke once or twice since then.

The point I was trying to make was -- that for the Homeland Security -- searching for really unlikely minor threats is no danger to them - so that's what they will choose to do. And that major threats happen so rarely - like once in a few billion or trillion passenger boardings - that Homeland Security will never catch such a threat in a thousand lifetimes of doing what they do.
I think the point to having TSA at airports and other places is deterrence much more than actually "capturing" someone. You may disagree whether their presence is a deterrent or not, but you are setting up a false target in asserting that they fail in their mission because they don't "catch" a lot of people. We will never know how many people have been deterred/discouraged from trying to bring a weapon or similar on board an airplane because of the TSA presence. While the security process is discouraging at times because of long lines, etc. I think it is far better now than prior to 9-11.

I think the point to having TSA at airports and other places is deterrence much more than actually "capturing" someone. You may disagree whether their presence is a deterrent or not, but you are setting up a false target in asserting that they fail in their mission because they don't "catch" a lot of people. We will never know how many people have been deterred/discouraged from trying to bring a weapon or similar on board an airplane because of the TSA presence. While the security process is discouraging at times because of long lines, etc. I think it is far better now than prior to 9-11.
Deterrence at airports makes some kind of sense -- deterrence at trains or buses makes a lot less sense

While what you are saying is true, guest, if someone was determined enough to do something like that, they can even more easily. All they have to do is go to a small airport, charter a jet and then fly wherever they want. Small airports do not have the "Security Theater" for private aircraft.

Did you ever wonder why you don't see many celebrities in major airports?
huh.gif
Many fly out of some the smaller airports in private or chartered aircraft to avoid the "TSA Theater". This is also the main reason I hardly fly anymore! The only people inconvenienced are the law abiding passengers!
rolleyes.gif

While what you are saying is true, guest, if someone was determined enough to do something like that, they can even more easily. All they have to do is go to a small airport, charter a jet and then fly wherever they want. Small airports do not have the "Security Theater" for private aircraft.

Did you ever wonder why you don't see many celebrities in major airports?
huh.gif
Many fly out of some the smaller airports in private or chartered aircraft to avoid the "TSA Theater". This is also the main reason I hardly fly anymore! The only people inconvenienced are the law abiding passengers!
rolleyes.gif
I'm sorry but your story about charters is one of these urban myths that won't go away. Charter companies must submit to the same passenger computer checks that major airlines do.

As for celebrities, at least in the LA area which I most familiar with, they fly from smaller airports or use charters (or their own planes) to avoid the downside of celebrity i.e. people getting in their face, etc.

If the only reason you don't fly is because of the TSA checks, then I feel a bit sorry for you because it's an overreaction. Inconveniences at times are a part of urban living. Some people might overreact and refuse to ride Amtrak because they got caught up in one of Amtrak's "inconveniences", such as a train being 7 hours late.

Both actions are over-reactions IMHO

If the only reason you don't fly is because of the TSA checks, then I feel a bit sorry for you because it's an overreaction. Inconveniences at times are a part of urban living. Some people might overreact and refuse to ride Amtrak because they got caught up in one of Amtrak's "inconveniences", such as a train being 7 hours late.

Both actions are over-reactions IMHO
overacting ?

guess what.. I was Sexuality assaulted when I was young . Guess what ! I hate to be touched ! .

riiiight Yea . yup Its OK to Grope a victim and make them "re live" there attack for weeks after TSA theatre . . and NO no therapist can " Fix" this . :help:

I have NO issue with SCANS IF its NOT Xray based ..

NO Xrax Glow and no touch and we all can get along Eh!?

mm wave with GUMBY bodys No big deal but if they can tell what religion I am :blink: from a scan then its too much .

If the only reason you don't fly is because of the TSA checks, then I feel a bit sorry for you because it's an overreaction.
Easy for you to say... I travel mostly for my diving. Which means I have to bring a lot of expensive equipment with me, most of which I have to carry on board.

Do you want to cover my losses if the TSA try to futz with my regs or dive computers in the name of "security" and permanently damage them because they don't know what they're doing?

I thought not...

No big deal but if they can tell what religion I am :blink: from a scan then its too much .
A very minor point, but that's not always an indicator of someone's "religion." ;) For example, I was born in a military hospital, where, at the time, it was done as a matter of policy for "hygiene" reasons. :eek:

To be honest, the "nekid scan" doesn't bother me as much as the pat-down. And, obviously, what's worse than both of those is them screwing around with your carry on items trying to figure out what they are/do. If all they did was just swab them and test the swabs, that would be fine.

'AutoTrDvr

I am a ( was .. none to dive in IA ) Tech Diver ,, no one touches my Regs , Mind I dove In LA Cali and Catalina so I had no TSA to deal with .

One trip outta DSM I saw one lady throw my Pelican case over 2 feet in the air with my 1D and a borrowed 800mm F2.8 .

after she just Xrayed it and knew damn well what was in it .

Walked back over to the tix counter and had a very nice convo about that lens was borrowed from a friend whom worked at the LA times .

Next trip I took not trusting checkin I had some swabby swab my shutterbox IN my cam ....... :help:

'AutoTrDvr

I am a ( was .. none to dive in IA ) Tech Diver ,, no one touches my Regs , Mind I dove In LA Cali and Catalina so I had no TSA to deal with .

One trip outta DSM I saw one lady throw my Pelican case over 2 feet in the air with my 1D and a borrowed 800mm F2.8 .

after she just Xrayed it and knew damn well what was in it .

Walked back over to the tix counter and had a very nice convo about that lens was borrowed from a friend whom worked at the LA times .

Next trip I took not trusting checkin I had some swabby swab my shutterbox IN my cam ....... :help:
I am AN/DP & "full cave." I'm not handing over my X1 to the swabbies! I once (in my rec days :D ) had to get a UK HID Pistol grip light (with the trigger lock) past the Kabuki Thespians. The trigger was locked. He was pushing the trigger to no avail. When I tried to reach over to show him, he ordered, "STAND BACK, NOW!" I responded back, "YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK IT! YOU DON"T KNOW HOW TO DO IT!" You could cut the tension with a knife. He got very huffy. He left the area and went over to the supervisor's desk. A few moments later, he returned with the unit, apparently unscathed, and both of us a lot calmer. We did exchange pleasantries thereafter.... a "no hard feelings" sort of thing.

I realize I could have handled it differently (I.e. "Sir, may I show you how to operate that?"), but he was about to break a $300.00 HID light. Needless to say, I don't ever trust my Canister light or my reg sets or X1 to that process.

LONG LIVE THE AT!!! :D

I've seen TSA agents milling about at the STL station (on the platform) and once they did a "walk through" (at least of the sleeper car). The train crew had announced we "might" be asked to show our ticket stubs but I don't think any of us (at least in sleeper) were.

I think I also saw K-9s out on the platform once.

I don't know. I don't mind agents hanging around as a "presence," but I would sure object to a pat down before getting on the train. (And at any rate: if people wanted to cause mayhem along a train route, there would be easier ways than putting an armed/bomb equipped passenger on board).

I'd also object to the detailed search of luggage, and the "These (2" long embroidery) scissors could be used as a weapon, we're confiscating them."

Off topic, but: I wonder how people with autism and other developmental/perception issues deal with being patted down. I'm supposedly "neurotypical" and I very strongly dislike being touched by strangers, to the point where I would find an airport patdown really unpleasant and intrusive (and would probably make pained facial expressions while it was being done, which might open me up for more scrutiny)

This may be getting a bit off-topic - but -- Bruce Schneier's blog has a lot of documented info on rational and irrational "security" measures. Schneier is a bona-fide expert on internet security and risk analysis. And he seems to think that a lot of what we call "Theatre" is exactly that.

Back in the 80's I remember being asked to open my TLR camera to show that there was nothing hidden inside.

TSA messing with specialized equipment is NOT what they are supposed to do - if the agent feels that there is a problem they are NOT authorized to go messing with whatever - either it's a threat and they call in local cops or airport cops - or else they should leave it alone.

TSA should be -- might not be -- instructed to -- "don't mess with what you don't understand" - and that would be any techie stuff- either call for help or leave it alone.

I have a light cannon too ! Darn good light !!!!!!!!!!!!!

( warm up is one thing but hey its BRIGHT ! ) got it Pre LED 2002

NAUI advanced .. did not do re-breather but did all the rest .

was ANDI cert to fill too for years but let it lapse due to college .

Yea NO ONE touches my Posidon oden and my full face mask..

DIve Gear( REGs ) needs to be exempt to TSA searches OR have a TECH expert on every TSA shift .

Legally they are not trained to operate or service your gear . . why are the permitted to fondle it ..

I have said this time and time again ,, If the min Education for TSA was a BS degree half of this durp how does this work would be avoided .........

Off topic, but: I wonder how people with autism and other developmental/perception issues deal with being patted down. I'm supposedly "neurotypical" and I very strongly dislike being touched by strangers, to the point where I would find an airport patdown really unpleasant and intrusive (and would probably make pained facial expressions while it was being done, which might open me up for more scrutiny)
I have Aspergers and I hate it but for more sad reasons .

I laugh at the term theatre ...>I did theatre in college . Did loads of Acting classes .

If the TSA was on Bway they would never get a good review ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back