Tulsa trip next year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
Just got back from a big trip a week ago and am already starting to daydream about next summer's Amtrak adventure. :giggle: So, this is obviously in its earliest planning stages, but I'm bored on a rainy night so here I am. I would like to very possibly go visit a friend of mine who lives in Tulsa next summer. I'm interested in taking the Cardinal from here in Kentucky to Chicago. And I want to have a rental car for the few days I'm out there. I'm thinking of taking the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Ft. Worth (Enterprise in the station with unlimited miles in TX and OK) and then driving up to Tulsa from there. Yes, I'm aware of the Heartland Flyer but by the time it gets in it'd be late to get a rental car and even later by the time I got to Tulsa, whereas driving the 4 or 5 hours from Ft. Worth would put me into Tulsa before dinnertime, most likely. So, is this my best option, or am I missing somewhere else I could drive in from at a decent hour? Open to suggestions/comments/other daydreamers.

Just got back from a big trip a week ago and am already starting to daydream about next summer's Amtrak adventure. :giggle: So, this is obviously in its earliest planning stages, but I'm bored on a rainy night so here I am. I would like to very possibly go visit a friend of mine who lives in Tulsa next summer. I'm interested in taking the Cardinal from here in Kentucky to Chicago. And I want to have a rental car for the few days I'm out there. I'm thinking of taking the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Ft. Worth (Enterprise in the station with unlimited miles in TX and OK) and then driving up to Tulsa from there. Yes, I'm aware of the Heartland Flyer but by the time it gets in it'd be late to get a rental car and even later by the time I got to Tulsa, whereas driving the 4 or 5 hours from Ft. Worth would put me into Tulsa before dinnertime, most likely. So, is this my best option, or am I missing somewhere else I could drive in from at a decent hour? Open to suggestions/comments/other daydreamers.
Tulsa, OK is bang in the center from all nearby (?) Amtrak stations! Just did a quick check on Google Maps- if you are taking Texas Eagle you can either drive from Dallas (4 hr 34 min), or get off at Little Rock, AR and drive from there (4 hr 28 min). Alternately you could take the Southwest Chief, you can get off at Kansas City, MO and drive (4 hr 31 min) or get off at Topeka, KS and drive (4 hr 15 min), or go a little further and get off at Hutchinson, KS and drive (3 hr 43 min). However, all these stops on Southwest Chief happen in the middle of the night, so I am not sure if and how you can get a rental car.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I know FTW would be your best bet as there is an Enterprise right in the station and from there, just hop on the 35 to OKC and on over to Tulsa on the Turner Turnpike. FTW is a bit of a shorter drive and at Dallas Enterprise is a few blocks from the station. Plus getting off at FTW gives you an extra lunch in the CCC/Diner and some extra train time :)

From what I know FTW would be your best bet as there is an Enterprise right in the station and from there, just hop on the 35 to OKC and on over to Tulsa on the Turner Turnpike. FTW is a bit of a shorter drive and at Dallas Enterprise is a few blocks from the station. Plus getting off at FTW gives you an extra lunch in the CCC/Diner and some extra train time :)
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I'll coach it on the Card next time (only about 12 or 13 hours anyway) but I'll have a roomette on the Eagle, so why not get the lunch (and the train time!) I would sort of like to see Southfork Ranch while I'm in that region :hi: <<not a Stetson, but you get the idea, lol. (And, yes, go on and roll your eyes, "Dallas" haters, LOL!) Anyway, I know that would take me a good ways out of the way either going or coming back but I still might try to do it for the heck of it.

The stop at Newton Kansas has a car rental right next to the station. They have a arragemnent with Hertz that allows the station agent to rent cars. You will have to do a reservation prior to your arrival for your car. The trip to Tulsa would be about three hours.

The stop at Newton Kansas has a car rental right next to the station. They have a arragemnent with Hertz that allows the station agent to rent cars. You will have to do a reservation prior to your arrival for your car. The trip to Tulsa would be about three hours.
Thanks. I'm afraid the call times at Newton are too middle-of-the night though. That's the problem with just about all the stations around Tulsa except Ft. Worth. I'm undecided as to whether or not I really want to drive that far though. Oh well plenty of time to think on it, lol. Anyone know if there is any kind of connecting bus service from anywhere to Tulsa that might work?

I would recommend a roomette on the B&O's Diplomat. It leaves Cincinnati at 10 am and you connect in St. Louis to the Frisco's Meteor that evening. The Meteor's set out sleepers for Tulsa may be occupied until 8 am. But my timetable may be a little out of date.

I would recommend a roomette on the B&O's Diplomat. It leaves Cincinnati at 10 am and you connect in St. Louis to the Frisco's Meteor that evening. The Meteor's set out sleepers for Tulsa may be occupied until 8 am. But my timetable may be a little out of date.
Those were the days! :blush:

As it is, my choices are either cajoling my friend (with whom I'm already going to be staying three nights) into picking me up at OKC from the Heartland Flyer, and then taking me back rather early in the morning three days later (might be pressing my luck as Tulsa is 1:45 or so from Amtrak in OKC.) and not having a car during the visit (which actually wouldn't be that big a deal - I'll be running around with him anyway.) OR, doing the whole rental-car-from-Ft.Worth thing, which would mean leaving kinda early to drive back on the last day, and being nervous about getting stuck somewhere during the nearly 5 hour drive and missing the train. Neither is exactly ideal, and this whole situation exemplifies why we need more corridor services and how corridor services in turn facilitate long distance travel. (put soapbox away, lol.)

FWIW - I think that the drive from Ft Worth over to Tulsa is really nice - especially if you are not from the TX/OK area. It's such a drastic change form the usual eastern landscapes that we see over here (east of the Mississippi). There's a nice little mountain range as you enter OK - and lots of blue sky. Neat little towns too - if you have time to stop in one along the way. Like stepping back in time...

For me - I would almost consider the ride in the rental car to be a bonus...

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - I think that the drive from Ft Worth over to Tulsa is really nice - especially if you are not from the TX/OK area. It's such a drastic change form the usual eastern landscapes that we see over here (east of the Mississippi). There's a nice little mountain range as you enter OK - and lots of blue sky. Neat little towns too - if you have time to stop in one along the way. Like stepping back in time...

For me - I would almost consider the ride in the rental car to be a bonus...
Well, what it will ultimately come down to is the amount of time I have. If I manage to swing some extra time off, I would do the rental car for the reasons you mentioned. If not, I'll probably take the Heartland Flyer into OKC and get my friend to pick me up/drop me off from there. Which wouldn't be bad either, as it would be more train time. I must confess I was sort of picturing the Heartland Flyer as being not unlike traveling through Illinois or Indiana (straight, flat, field, tree, house, repeat - "Fred Flintstone scenery,") But I'm obviously wrong - I saw a youtube clip taken from the Flyer on that stretch along the river going through the canyon in the Arbuckle Mountains and was impressed.

Thanks. I'm afraid the call times at Newton are too middle-of-the night though. That's the problem with just about all the stations around Tulsa except Ft. Worth. I'm undecided as to whether or not I really want to drive that far though. Oh well plenty of time to think on it, lol. Anyone know if there is any kind of connecting bus service from anywhere to Tulsa that might work?
Back when I lived in Tulsa Amtrak had an agreement with a bus service that would connect you to the Kansas City Station. However I no longer see that option available in the National Timetable.

peter

I know this is Amtrak forum and this may not be the preferred option for many railfans, but I'd like to point out an alternative nevertheless- do consider getting off at Dallas and taking a Southwest flight to Tulsa. They have a bunch of non-stop flights daily with fares starting at $39 ($50 including tax and two free checked bags) if you book in advance, and Southwest allows date change without penalty after purchase. Would be cheaper and more comfortable than renting a car and driving 5 hours. Also, since Southwest operates from Dallas Love Field (and not DFW International), you can take a DART Green Line train right from Union Station where you get off from Texas Eagle to the airport.

I believe I would much rather "enjoy" the drive to Tulsa as that assures having a car and not worrying about the Eagle being late and blowing an airline connection. And to add a historic twist to the drive, go past the Turner Turnpike exit a couple miles and get off on Route 66 and enjoy the "old way." If you do, I'd recommend a stop at Pops in Arcadia for every brand of soda you can imagine and supper at The Rock Cafe in Stroud.

I believe I would much rather "enjoy" the drive to Tulsa as that assures having a car and not worrying about the Eagle being late and blowing an airline connection. And to add a historic twist to the drive, go past the Turner Turnpike exit a couple miles and get off on Route 66 and enjoy the "old way." If you do, I'd recommend a stop at Pops in Arcadia for every brand of soda you can imagine and supper at The Rock Cafe in Stroud.
Yeah, getting to take old Rt. 66 from OKC - Tulsa is definitely on the agenda if I do end up having time to get off in FTW and rent a car, so thanks for those tips on a couple of places to stop off at on "The Mother Road." I'm a big nostalgia buff, but I've never seen any of Rt.66 before, unless you want to count Jackson Blvd in Chicago a coupla weeks ago, which technically would count. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back