Tunnel could boost high-speed rail cost [ California ]

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tunnel might increase cost? This is news? Next we will find that adding blue paint to yellow paint is expected to produce green paint.

This is another proposal by a politician that CAHSRA will study. I predict that just like the direct route over the Tehachapi mountains (also requires a lot of tunneling) , it will be turned down as too expensive.

There was a time that they said tunnels into Manhattan would cost too much and would never work regardless. How many years have those been paying dividends? They may only be middle aged today. Maybe the sea will swallow up New York before they fail entirely. That's not to say every tunnel project makes sense or is worth funding, but if they can be built to last a hundred years or more then they might be worth the enormous short term cost when all aspects are considered. No need to balk at the costs before the benefits are fully vetted.

Unlike the NY tunnels, other than decreasing the transit time a little and requiring less disruption to some structures during construction along the surface route, there are no apparent advantages to the tunnel. There is one singular disadvantage --- cost. Both to build and I believe to maintain.

From the project maps and the stated time, it would reduce an about 16 minute segment to about 11 minutes. I would still call this reducing the transit time a little. It would seem to me to be a lot of money for very little gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back