Turbos - Tempos - Rapidos - Expedos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NS VIA FAN

Back in the ‘60s, CN was tacking an “O” on the end of the names of their fastest trains. The corridor had the Rapidos and Tempos (and the UA Turbo too)

75-03Scan19.JPG

75-03Scan20.JPG

The Rapidos were conventional trains on fast schedules and the Turbos…..even faster.

Scan10003.JPG

The Tempos were introduced in 1968 between Toronto-London-Sarnia-Windsor…..eventually going to VIA and then to the Colorado Ski Train. Now they’ve come full-circle, back to CN for service on the Algoma Central’s Agawa Canyon Tour Train.

Here’s a Tempo at London with one of the MLW RS18s which were rebuild to provide HEP to the cars.

Scan10004.JPG

The Tempos even ran through to Chicago in joint Amtrak-VIA service. Here’s the International at Port Huron in January 1983 with an Amtrak F40 for power.

83-01Scan10031.JPG

And Newfoundland had the “Expedo” but it wasn’t a train.

When the narrow-gauge Caribou (a.k.a. The Newfie Bullet) passenger train was discontinued in 1969, it was replaced by a fleet of CN operated buses named Roadcruisers. The express run was the “Expedo”. It covered the 900 km between St. John’s and Port-aux-Basque (port oh bask) in 13 hours……the Newfie Bullet had taken 22 hours. The Caribou had been a full service train with coaches, diners and sleepers……the buses now made meal stops along the way.

76-07Scan10090.JPG

76-07Scan10048.JPG

The old CN Station in the above photo is still there. It’s now the Marine Atlantic Ferry Terminal but you would have to peel back the steel cladding and modern expansion across the front to find it (two story section at the rear) The bus platform is where the tracks once were.

DSC02522.JPG

DSC02520.JPG

CN sold the bus service to DRL in 1996 and it continues today. The bus from St. John’s has just arrived to connect with the overnight ferry to Nova Scotia, Marine Atlantic’s “Atlantc Vision……1000 passengers and 500 cars. Marine Atlantic was originally CN Marine, operating the rail-car ferries to Newfoundland.

DSC02527.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks to those above for their great contributions. I especially enjoyed those photo's.

The not mentioned Jetrain?

I believe it was a name given by the Rock Island for those unique lightweight turret cabbed locomotives GM's EMD built that were intended to power the Aerotrain consist.

They were conventional diesel-electrics. The "jet" in their name was a misnomer.

Thanks to those above for their great contributions. I especially enjoyed those photo's.

I believe it was a name given by the Rock Island for those unique lightweight turret cabbed locomotives GM's EMD built that were intended to power the Aerotrain consist.

They were conventional diesel-electrics. The "jet" in their name was a misnomer.
Wasn't there also a "Jet Train" or something like that developed by Bombardier (perhaps in partnership with FRA) maybe 10 years ago or so? A diesel (or at least non-electric) version of the Acela?

Wasn't there also a "Jet Train" or something like that developed by Bombardier (perhaps in partnership with FRA) maybe 10 years ago or so? A diesel (or at least non-electric) version of the Acela?
You are correct. Found this link on google...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQQ/is_1_41/ai_69709358/

Thinking back again, I believe The Rock call its version of GM's Aerotrain the "Jet Rocket". Or something like that.

Back