TV in Superliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, different strokes for different folks.

And I guess I kind of get the playback of today's highlights idea.

What I'd like to know:

1) what was the mounting for the 32"

2) what's the orange strap around the bunk? Ratchet strap?

3) I count a total of 8 screens (3 tablets, 1 laptop, 1 32" monitor, 2 phones, and looks like the photo was shot on a third phone) - what's the rundown of what is used for what? I do some custom mobile development work, so I'll often have 4-8 devices with me - though rarely more than 2 out at a time

4) legit G-tape - well played.

Cheers!
1. Basically a video production C-clamp with two stud outs clamped to upper bunk in stowed position. Two small 1 x 4's to prevent marring the bunk. Ceiling mount tv bracket shortened with hacksaw with a 45 degree adjustment in each direction. Tv bracked bolted directly to bottom 1 x 4. The ratchet strap was just for safety. I will see if I have a picture of it.

2. 1 Ipad dedicated to wireless go pro.

1 Ipad with HDMI out for movie viewing and timetables etc.

1 Macbook Pro 17 surfing web etc.

1 Iphone dedicated to internet connection.

1 Iphone calls/texts

1 Garmin 2699 for location/elevation

1 Radio Shack Scanner

1 Walmart clip on fan

Not pictured

1 Safemore 10 outlet 4 usb surge protector

1 1.5L Grey Goose

Last edited by a moderator:
Clamp - i figured it was something like that. Have your tried rigging that with a single Mathellini? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/301945-REG/Matthews_420210_Matthelini_Grip_6_End.html

Various things that plug in - makes sense.

GoPro - what is your strategy for dealing with glare on the window? I usually try to tuck it behind the window curtain, sometimes even g-taping the curtain in place around it.

1.5L Grey Goose - for the backup power ethanol fuel cell? I find I get more bang for the buck from Stoli, though am constantly frustrated by the inability of the cafe to sell a can of tonic water.

How much record time do you get off the GoPro? Looks like you're just running it off battery, and I'm guessing that if you have the WiFI monitor on all the time that it runs down pretty quick.

Cheers!

I kind of wish they still made 4:3 ratio screens with modern LCD/LED technology for purposes of retro gaming and the like.
I have a small Toshiba 4:3 HDTV, but I don't think they make them anymore. It has a QAM tuner, and various modes to handle displaying a 16:9 image on its screen. I got it to fit into the small armoire in a bedroom, which was made for the more "square" CRT based TV's of the past century.

All of that gear makes me wonder how many amps that 110v roomette outlet can handle....could there be a chance of popping a fuse or breaker?

Now, if he could just tap into the engineer's view and have it piped back to the set, well, uninterrupted forward view merrily trekking down the tracks!

I have a small Toshiba 4:3 HDTV, but I don't think they make them anymore. It has a QAM tuner, and various modes to handle displaying a 16:9 image on its screen. I got it to fit into the small armoire in a bedroom, which was made for the more "square" CRT based TV's of the past century.
By the time I realized I wanted such a thing the market had already dried up and vanished.

All of that gear makes me wonder how many amps that 110v roomette outlet can handle....could there be a chance of popping a fuse or breaker?
I was wondering the same thing. I don't need much power to keep my phone or tablet going but when the power goes out because someone took things a little too far it definitely impacts my trip.

Now, if he could just tap into the engineer's view and have it piped back to the set, well, uninterrupted forward view merrily trekking down the tracks!
I honestly wish Amtrak provided this as a sanctioned service, but with all the various trespassers/suicides we read about I suppose I can understand why they don't offer this.

By the time I realized I wanted such a thing the market had already dried up and vanished.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't need much power to keep my phone or tablet going but when the power goes out because someone took things a little too far it definitely impacts my trip.

I honestly wish Amtrak provided this as a sanctioned service, but with all the various trespassers/suicides we read about I suppose I can understand why they don't offer this.
Stick a 10 to 30 second time delay on the feed and an auto cut off as soon as the emergency brake is applied and this could easily avoid any unfortunate incidents being viewed by Joe Blogs.

Now that would be a premium service I would certainly subscribe to and pay a decent whack for the privilege

Although i use the Sony AZ-1 rather than a Go Pro,,, i have a lens skirt not only for video, but still shoorting through windows. IT is amazing, one of the best camera gadgets i have

I don't see why they should cover up the view from a forward camera, any more than attempting to cover the front windows of a dome car....

I flew on ANA several years ago from Tokyo to Hong Kong, and they featured a forward facing camera view on cabin monitors during takeoff, and in real-time. Very enjoyable to watch...

Lufthansa A380s have three exterior facing camera channels on their AVOD. One is in the nose facing forward, the second is in the belly facing down and the third on top of the vertical stabilizer facing forward. On the ground I mostly watched the third one. After takeoff from cruising altitude the downward facing was more fun to watch specially during daylight hours in relatively clear weather.

Lufthansa A380s have three exterior facing camera channels on their AVOD. One is in the nose facing forward, the second is in the belly facing down and the third on top of the vertical stabilizer facing forward. On the ground I mostly watched the third one. After takeoff from cruising altitude the downward facing was more fun to watch specially during daylight hours in relatively clear weather.
That would be incredible. Thank you for adding another item to my ever-growing checklist. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its standard on all the A380's. I do enjoy watching it during landing and takeoff.

P1030843 by B H, on Flickr

P1030847 by B H, on Flickr

I don't see why they should cover up the view from a forward camera, any more than attempting to cover the front windows of a dome car.
Amtrak doesn't have any forward facing dome cars to my knowledge. Even if they did have such a car the locomotives, baggage, and/or transition sleeper would block much of the direct view. Personally I'd rather they bring back 360° dome cars with views as sharp as your eyesight rather that a single low resolution camera at the front.

I flew on ANA several years ago from Tokyo to Hong Kong, and they featured a forward facing camera view on cabin monitors during takeoff, and in real-time. Very enjoyable to watch.
Nose gear cameras were common on widebody dual aisle aircraft for both NH and JL during the 747 era.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its standard on all the A380's.
External cameras are standard equipment on the A380 but are not available as an option on the B787.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why they should cover up the view from a forward camera, any more than attempting to cover the front windows of a dome car.
Amtrak doesn't have any forward facing dome cars to my knowledge.
They have one:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1465730427.234750.jpg
You get the same view as the engineer? I would think that any person or vehicle just about to be struck by the engine, will disappear from view from that car.

Going back in Amtrak history, the Kansas City to New Orleans "River Cities" had a dome car that ran right behind the locomotive, at least until it joined the City of New Orleans at Carbondale....

and further back, the original UA TurboTrains had a 'railfan seat' right behind the engineer in the Power-Dome Coach, where you could look right over his shoulder.... :cool:

Stick a 10 to 30 second time delay on the feed and an auto cut off as soon as the emergency brake is applied and this could easily avoid any unfortunate incidents being viewed by Joe Blogs.

Now that would be a premium service I would certainly subscribe to and pay a decent whack for the privilege
+1

The only problem with this I suspect (aside from the upfront cost of setting up the system) is that there are probably quite a few "close calls" that don't result in an application of the emergency brake but would look rather alarming for John Q Public. But yeah, I think that quite a few people would gladly pay for this service.

I think they need to adopt two cameras,, front and rear,, and combine it into a message display with train status, schedule , and a route guide. This is 2016 ...

Hey, the last time they put monitors in Viewliner Sleeper rooms many of them were stolen in no time by someone. There were strong rumors floating around about who they were, bu I am not sayin'. In any case within months there were very few left. So they were also removed to make things uniform across the board.

Hey, the last time they put monitors in Viewliner Sleeper rooms many of them were stolen in no time by someone. There were strong rumors floating around about who they were, bu I am not sayin'. In any case within months there were very few left. So they were also removed to make things uniform across the board.
But in this day and age, there would be no need to provide the monitors. Simply stream the image to the devices of paying customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back