Two Boarding, Each at a different point

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abcnews

OBS Chief
I redeemed a 20,000 point Award to go from Trenton, NJ to Denver (Two Zone Award), so we have tickets for two in a Roomette on the Cardinal and the CZ.

I will board in Trenton, and my son will join me in Culpepper, VA - which is about 5 hours after I board. We both have tickets and we are both booked from Trenton. Should I call AGR to ask if they should change the reservation to reflect this? Or just keep it simple and explain it to the conductor in Trenton - when I board.

Don't recall ever doing this before....

I'd go with Leaving it like it is (I've done this Several Times) and just tell the Conductor and your SCA ,as well as the LSA in the Diner, that his Plans Changed and he'll be joining you in Culpepper! AGR could redo your Tickets to reflect an "Open" Sleeper Ticket for him (there is a thread ongoing on this)but he will have to have a Paper Ticket if this is done, I'm assuming you currently have an e-ticket/?? Shouldnt be a problem to just Go with it as is!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do as Jim says, or if you are taking the Cardinal (which I assume you are) just leave it as is. When the conductor scans your ticket, tell him/her the other person will be boarding down the line. I have done this many times.

Once, when paper tickets were used, I had an AGR award from BHM to LAX. My BIL could only join my from WAS to PDX. He was listed on all segments.

Ironically, the Cardinal is the only train where we had a problem with this. It was during my trip to Fort Lauderdale. We both boarded and took our roomette at Huntington and went to Richmond Staples Mill. He then detrained and stayed in Richmond, and I went on to Fort Lauderdale. The next morning when I reboarded I told the conductor that my husband would be joining me at Richmond and that he would not be on the Meteor at all. We reunited at Richmond and took the bus to CVS, and there caught the Cardinal. My favorite SCA Delisa was working that day, and because he didn't board at FTL it was a bit of an issue. She did take my husband's ticket and disappeared to talk to the conductor about it. She came back a little later and said that everything was okay and gave my husband back his ticket. But it was nerve-wrecking to sit and wait to hear what would happen.

Worried before hand, I had written Amtrak through their contact us, and just inquired as to whether or not this type of travel was acceptable and asked for a response, they sent me a response saying that it was acceptable. I printed that out before the trip and was ready just in case there would be problems. I didn't need it, so... Apparently, since he didn't board his ticket was cancelled, but because I had used AGR reward points which allow two to a roomette, and I did board it was okayed.

You shouldn't have a problem. Though they may ask for his ticket and disappear for a few minutes. :giggle:

As a warning, never call Amtrak or AGR in advance to ask their advice. I'm not saying it would be wrong, but they could make you redeem to awards, 1 from A to B for 2 people and another from B to C for 1 person, instead of 1 award from A to C for 2 people! If asked on board, you can just say the other person could not make the trip!

In my example above, out of the 8 trains total, I was only asked about the 2nd person not being there once.

Good to know, I had a scenario in my mind that I would board at NYP and my friend at NWK whenever I finally take a trip in a roomette. :giggle:

Back when AGR allowed three people in a deluxe bedroom, my sister, my wife and I were booked Seattle-Chicago-New Orleans. Mrs. Ispolkom and I boarded in Seattle. My sister joined us in Stanley, ND. The only question our SCA had was, "Does she want dinner?" Mrs. Ispolkom left the train in St. Paul, and my sister and I continued to New Orleans. No muss, no fuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for al the help - sounds like we better have me scan his ticket in Trenton (for both me and my son), and explain it down the line to the next conductor. I think they change in DC, which is unfortunate, but I am hopeful, that the SCA should be able to help me as well.

Thanks for al the help - sounds like we better have me scan his ticket in Trenton (for both me and my son), and explain it down the line to the next conductor. I think they change in DC, which is unfortunate, but I am hopeful, that the SCA should be able to help me as well.
If you have a eTicket, and I see no reason why you wouldn't, then his ticket is your ticket. The conductor will most likely just check both of you in when you board, as I don't think he/she can check in only one of you and leave the other for later.

I did a Phoenix-Flagstaff (thruway Van that required paper tickets for the entire trip that had to be aquired in advance)-Los Angeles-Portland-Columbus

I rode Phoneix to St Paul, my friend Los Angeles to Columbus who switched to Coach back to New York straight through.

I told the agent our intentions when I booked. I was ticketed Flagstaff to Columbes, him Los Angeles to Columbus.

We stopped at NYP before we seperated to go out to California seperately and picked up the 6 total paper tickets, 2 for him, 4 for me so we could each have our tickets in case of a problem (and worry about losing them). Only hitch was that the Quick Track machine couldn't print such a complex reservation so I had to stop in person in the ClubAcela and ask the agent there.

Only issue was the Sleeping Car attendant had made both beds not just one although my fiend never had a paper ticket for that segment.

Back