Two zone:1/2 pay, 1/2 AGR?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We're planning a trip from LCH to GSC. I would like to pay for a roomette from LCH to ELP (1 zone) then use AGR from ELP to GSC for a bedroom. We won't be getting off in ELP and just changing trains in LAX and EMY. we will ride the bus from DEN to RAT and catch the SWC back to LAX, then home on the SL. Is all of this possible?

For one thing, if you're paying cash there is no such thing as "zones". And since ELP is a border city, that would be no problem at all. Unless you really want a bedroom, why not consider a Roomette all the way? :huh: A 1 zone Roomette is 15K while a 2 zone Roomette is only 20K!

Thank you. I always get answers from this forum. I couldn't make it without it. Am I correct in thinking that ELP to GSC is 1 zone? And RAT to LCH (through LAX) 2 zones? Would the whole trip be 65,000 points, if we pay LCH to ELP? We've never had a bedroom, so thought it would be nice for once.

I don't know for sure if AGR would allow RAT to LCH as one 2 zone award. But if they do (and even before you try it), ask for Denver to LCH thru RAT. That way the Thruwaybus would be included (free) for both as part of the AGR award!

When I try LCH to GSC, the screen says no train availability. Is there a way around this for an AGR trip? Multi-city?

Really! I didn't know that. We've never rode the Thruway bus. So if they won't allow RAT to LCH as a 2 zone award, I guess we could have a bedroom RAT to ELP then switch to a roomette ELP to LCH. Would that work?

Really! I didn't know that. We've never rode the Thruway bus. So if they won't allow RAT to LCH as a 2 zone award, I guess we could have a bedroom RAT to ELP then switch to a roomette ELP to LCH. Would that work?
RAT to ELP does work for AGR - it just spit it out for me at amtrak.com.

If you are curious about the rules regarding AGR redemptions, they recently published some that are very helpful at:

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/info/redemptionguidelines

RAT-ELP is only 1 (long) zone, and RAT-LCH would be 2 zones. If you get get it with AGR, you could have a bedroom the whole way! :) And the reason LCH-GSC doesn't show is due to the overnight stay needed between the CS and CZ. Previously this was not allowed with AGR, but now it is! :) (The overnight stay is on your dime though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back