Uncontrolled dogs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see a million Fido-LLC's being formed to protect the assets of (insert your own adjective here) dog owners from legal action because they let their dog bite someone,,, then there will be ****-LLC's for similar feline protection,,, then the Pet Fish LLC's ,,, are the lawyers going to have field day with this,,,,,

All comedy aside, it is atrocious when someone at work gets hurts by the stupid actions of another ignorant occupant of the planet. I can only hope the staff member doesn't have to got through the pain of the shots, and if indeed they do is comforted to some degree by the solace this group sends their way. Mother contended you can't fix stupid, and she was uncontested whenever stated.

What exactly constitutes "threatened?" If someone has an irrational fear of dogs does that mean they can shoot any dog they please? What if they lure the dog onto their property with food? What if a dog threatens you away from your property? Does the dog get to bite you if you're on his owner's property? If you meet on neutral territory do you both take up six shooters at noon?
In spite of your usual attempts at trolling for a controversy, it's really all quite simple. A person out on foot can/will/should/ought to protect him/herself when threatened by any animal with whatever means are available, whether that means be climbing a tree, a well-placed kick or shots from a firearm. That notion may be difficult for a city-slicker to comprehend but it's just common sense for those living in rural areas.
I live in a "rural area" and I think the question is still relevant. What constitutes "threatened"? Self defense is all well and good, but there's a considerable amount of gray area to these situations.

Also, lots of people live in cities. Over half the world, actually. To discount someone's viewpoint because they live in a city and not "the real world" is a tad misguided.

It's not a problem to grasp in cities, either. Most of them have laws that hold animal owners responsible for the behavior and control of their animals. On leash and under control except in designated areas or your fenced in property. If the animal escapes your property you can be held responsible. Not much different.

What exactly constitutes "threatened?" If someone has an irrational fear of dogs does that mean they can shoot any dog they please? What if they lure the dog onto their property with food? What if a dog threatens you away from your property? Does the dog get to bite you if you're on his owner's property? If you meet on neutral territory do you both take up six shooters at noon?
In spite of your usual attempts at trolling for a controversy, it's really all quite simple. A person out on foot can/will/should/ought to protect him/herself when threatened by any animal with whatever means are available, whether that means be climbing a tree, a well-placed kick or shots from a firearm. That notion may be difficult for a city-slicker to comprehend but it's just common sense for those living in rural areas.
I live in a "rural area" and I think the question is still relevant. What constitutes "threatened"? Self defense is all well and good, but there's a considerable amount of gray area to these situations.

Also, lots of people live in cities. Over half the world, actually. To discount someone's viewpoint because they live in a city and not "the real world" is a tad misguided.
You too are making this way too complicated when it's actually quite simple. When it comes to the well-being or survival of either me or an attacking/threatening dog, the dog will come out second best. And that applies in the city or in the boondocks. If you, on the other hand, care to seek legal advice in such a situation - please feel free to do so. This is, after all, still the Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave - at least to me.

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
What does shooting a dog out in the country have to do with dealing with a dog on an Amtrak train? Anything?

Yay, you guys get to be Mr. Tough Guy on the Internet and indulge your gun fetish. Shut up and move on.

Dogs get shot in the country.

Amtrak travels through county areas.

ERGO

Dogs get shot on Amtrak. Duh. ^_^

The only gun I own is a .50 caliber flintlock muzzle-loader I bought as research into a novel and haven't fired in several years, so I won't jump into the dog gunfight.

But I agree that the lack of a universal service dog certification definitely is a problem. Most training organizations do individually certify their animals as having passed the requirements for graduation, but this certification is often faked by stupid bastards unscrupulous pet owners with the help of other stupid bastards dishonest Internet vendors.

The state of Michigan has taken a step to ameliorate it: Michigan has started a voluntary service dog registry program (I may have mentioned it before). Requires documentation from a doctor regarding the disability and a notarized affidavit that the dog is specifically trained to perform a task for the person with a disability. The state supplies a patch for the dog's vest and an ID card, I wish Illinois would follow suit. Most service dog humans have had to deal with ignorance or hostility and would, I think, embrace this idea.

By the way, while most service dogs are trained by groups or agencies (mine was), many are not. If a dog owner trains his animal to perform tasks that address a disability, and the dog is calm and tractable in public situations, the Justice Department recognizes it as a genuine service dog. Some folks are uncanny dog whisperers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once handcuffed by the secret service when I drop kicked a dog (they didn't announce themselves) who I thought was going after me and in reality was luggage sniffing . I didn't know King George I (Bush) was staying in the floor above me ... boy do I pick some fun ways to learn some lessons,,, but a long time ago I had a lot to learn, now I just have stuff to forget,,,,,, I again am primarily concerned that the employee fares welll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back