Union Station DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpup

Service Attendant
since I will have 5 to 6 hours to kill in DC, I looked up Union Station DC on the internet. Wow, that place looks huge. Shopping and eating places. Even tours (the duck tour looks like fun). It would be nice to get a quick tour of DC, although I don't know if they would run the middle of April. No sure how warm it is then.

However, can't wait to see Union Station in person, it looks amazing.

Maybe not all, but there will be many tours available. Remember that Washington, DC is the capital of the US.

Also in April, the cherry blossoms should be in bloom, especially around the tidal basin! :)

I hope the cherry trees are in bloom when we are there. That would be awesome. Always miss them when we go to Door County.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 8.48.24 PM.png

Union Station is at the upper right. The mall, around which are spread all of the Smithsonian museums is the green line across the middle. Capitol at the right, Washington Monument in the middle, Lincoln Memorial at the left. Below that is the Tidal Basin, around which are the majority of the cherry trees, which should be in bloom in the Aprilish timeframe (late March as well). At the bottom of that is the Jefferson Memorial. Pretty much all the sites you'll want to see in a 6 hour layover.

Not to mention that big white house just a bit north of all the other stuff

Take the cheap tour on the DC circulator bus around the mall and tidal basin.
I am going to be there next month. Is the circulator bus worth the money?
I took the circulator bus a couple of months ago (after having breakfast with Ryan) and I believe it was well worth the money. I think the fare was $1.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 8.48.24 PM.png

Union Station is at the upper right. The mall, around which are spread all of the Smithsonian museums is the green line across the middle. Capitol at the right, Washington Monument in the middle, Lincoln Memorial at the left. Below that is the Tidal Basin, around which are the majority of the cherry trees, which should be in bloom in the Aprilish timeframe (late March as well). At the bottom of that is the Jefferson Memorial. Pretty much all the sites you'll want to see in a 6 hour layover.
oh, I want to see so much, 5 hours isn't enough. LOL

oh, I want to see so much, 5 hours isn't enough. LOL
Oh,it's absolutely not enough - you must choose! I recommend The Hirshhorn museum (on the Mall) and The Renwick Gallery (near the White House). If your feet aren't killing you yet the National Gallery of Art & the National Portrait Gallery are close together and walkable to Union Station. You'll be dazzled!:)

I'm quite partial to Georgetown. You can rent bikes and/or boats that you can use to explore the area. It's a great way to explore and take a trip up the old C&o canal. There is great food in the area as well.

Having lived in the swamp a long time ago,, there were three things i remember fondly...the most moving monument for me was the Vietnam Veterans.... there is something about being at Lincoln's feet that words can't express,,, and cafeteria on he top floor of the Labor Department (they all used to be open to the public) had the best view of the city,,,,

Air & Space is really cool, particularly if you're a military history buff like me. Loved to see the ME262 from WWII and there is a great US Navy section. And then is all the space stuff and commercial aviation exhibits. Also a couple of theaters (do have to pay for those) with rotating topics: I saw D-Day 3-D there last year.

Air and Space is great, and if one is spending a few days or more, they have a great extension out by Dulles Airport that exhibits some of the larger items that really wouldn't fit at the museum main site on the mall. Washington is one of those places that has an amazing assortment of places to visit and things to see. It's all about what your interests are, and how much time you want to spend "exploring" each site.

I agree, the annex is very worthwhile!

And I'm still searching for that warehouse out in Virginia where the Government stashed the Ark of the Covenant!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you only have 5 hours, keep in mind that something like the Air and Space Museum can easily consume an 8 hour day! (actually pretty much any of the museums can!)

So plan accordingly.

And keep in mind transit time. (contrary to what one may think, the "Smithsonian" stop on the Metro often is not the best stop to get to many of the Smithsonian museums.

If you only have 5 hours, keep in mind that something like the Air and Space Museum can easily consume an 8 hour day! (actually pretty much any of the museums can!)

So plan accordingly.

And keep in mind transit time. (contrary to what one may think, the "Smithsonian" stop on the Metro often is not the best stop to get to many of the Smithsonian museums.
yeah, that is why I was thinking a tour around DC would be cool and then some other time take the CL from CHI again and do a 3 nighter in DC and see lots of stuff.

Bike rental just outside - by the Postal Museum. Bikes are the best way to tour DC.

Or, check out the Newseum which is a few blocks away. Newseum | There's more to every story.

You can walk over to the Mall area and there are some wonderful museums.Or check out the US Capital Building.

Great places to eat nearby - over by the Verizon Center.

Another good place to get food, if you don't like the offerings in the Union Station food court, is the cafeteria in the House Office Building. It is available to anyone (with the usual security check) and very reasonable. And if you ask, your representative might even get you in a quick tour of the Capitol. Just came from DC, and unfortunately, the lines are long for almost everything, so be very careful what you THINK you might be able to do in 5 hours. The Postal Museum is right next door and has virtually no line. Other than that, the monuments of course have no lines but even using the circulator could take up the 5 hours very (unexpectedly) quickly.

... the monuments of course have no lines but even using the Circulator bus could take up the 5 hours very (unexpectedly) quickly.
Definitely take the Circulator, or rent a bike.

The Washington Monument could have long lines, iirc. Unless you take the stairs.

Of course the Lincoln, Jefferson, the Vietnam War Memorial are worth jumping off the bus for a few moments of heavy contemplation.

If you manage to Circulate without using up all your time, then duck into any museum. Any museum. They all have great things. Anyway, I get "museum fatigue" after an hour or two max, so an hour would be enuff for me.

Every museum has high points. Google to plan ahead, what are the star attractions? Then get thru the museum door and head for the best stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back