unplanned stowaways

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gingee

On empire right now. Message came over the speaker that two people were on board that didn't mean to. They had put their mother on the train and were still on when the train took off. So the room attendant asked the conductor to stop the train so they could get off. I think we went a mile or so until they got off in nowhere land.

On empire right now. Message came over the speaker that two people were on board that didn't mean to. They had put their mother on the train and were still on when the train took off. So the room attendant asked the conductor to stop the train so they could get off. I think we went a mile or so until they got off in nowhere land.
Every time I've been on a train, the conductor has made the "If you don't want to take an unexpected train trip, don't hop aboard!" announcement. I guess these two didn't hear it!

maybe she's elderly and needed help getting on?
Aloha

This comment reminded me that when I was on the SWC last month The car attendant let my granddaughter take my camera/computer bag and to see my room. He stayed on the ground until she was off. Fullerton is a short stop.

maybe she's elderly and needed help getting on?
Aloha

This comment reminded me that when I was on the SWC last month The car attendant let my granddaughter take my camera/computer bag and to see my room. He stayed on the ground until she was off. Fullerton is a short stop.
At RVR/NPN, I've heard lines to the effect of "If you do not want to go to [Ashland/Williamsburg], you have X minutes to be off this train."

Reminds me of a passage from a Douglas Adams book..."This is flight something or other to Los Angeles. If your travel plans for today do not include Los Angeles, now would be a perfect time to disembark" or something to that effect.

Reminds me of a passage from a Douglas Adams book..."This is flight something or other to Los Angeles. If your travel plans for today do not include Los Angeles, now would be a perfect time to disembark" or something to that effect.

Which book is that from? I've read the whole Hitchhikers' Guide series but none of his other work.

Which book is that from? I've read the whole Hitchhikers' Guide series but none of his other work.

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Hmm.. don't remember that in particular. It's been a long time since I read them but they're still on my shelf. You already had me thinking that I should re-read them. That might be my go-to when I finish the book I'm reading now.

Is dropping them off in some muddy field really a good idea? If that happened to me I'd prefer to ride the train to some place inhabited and semi-civilised as it'd be far easier getting a taxi or something back from there than trying to explain over the phone which particular muddy field I'm waiting to be picked up from.

Is dropping them off in some muddy field really a good idea? If that happened to me I'd prefer to ride the train to some place inhabited and semi-civilised as it'd be far easier getting a taxi or something back from there than trying to explain over the phone which particular muddy field I'm waiting to be picked up from.
Scenario: They live in the area. They drove to the depot together to help "Relative X" board the train. One stayed on the ground, the other went on board to help "Relative X". The train left. They "helper" on board used her cell phone & called whom they came with, who was still at the depot. "Meet me at Hidden Valley Road, where tracks cross the road."
Of course, only works is both parties have cell phones, are familiar with area, can both drive, both have keys, yada, yada, yada.........

U.S. 2 closely parallels the BNSF mainline across eastern Montana and North Dakota, so it would be easy to walk from the train tracks to the highway in most places. If the engineer was nice, he could even drop you by a section road, so you didn't have to walk through the possibly muddy ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back