Unpleasent Auto Train trip, not the norm!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmatarella

Train Attendant
My folks and I have used the Auto Train for MANY years, pre Amtrak too in fact.

The folks did the Sanford to Lorton trip Monday the 25th of May. They got two roomettes on the lower lever so neither has to climb to an upper bunk and to be close to the restrooms so they don't have to walk too far. This trip Mom was having major leg pains and such, beyond just being a senior.

The room attendant knew they requested dinner delivered so she would not have to talk between cars, but told them she could not do 9pm they'd asked for at check in as she'd be setting up beds by then. They agreed her suggestion of 8:30 would be fine. By 9 and no dinner they paged her and caught her in the hall a bit later. She said the paging system was down. She said the kitchen told her they could not have the dinners ready for another 20 minutes. Finally at 9:45 (remember, she insisted she'd need to bring at 8:30) she delivered them and as you'd guess they were stone cold.

Within 90 minutes of leaving Sanford, they were also told all three toilets on the lower level were out of order, and the one on the upper level failed shortly after. They were informed that they'd attempt a fix at the midnight stop and did get all but one working then. A fellow came on with a long suction hose and vac'd them out. One wonders if they just missed pumping it out whenever it's normally done?

Oh, and both the paging system and coffee setup were dead the entire trip. Other than those it was just peachy. Definitely not the kind of trip we're used to.

Yea, but four in 90 minutes? I guess that could be it but seems unlikely.

If it were as simple as someone forgetting to pump out the tanks, nothing would have to be done inside.

I'm not sure exactly how the plumbing is set up, but it's possible that a single clog from one inconsiderate person could take out multiple toilets.

Yes, a problem in one toilet can affect others. It can actually disable all toilets in a car. I've always wondered about the so-called thought process that went into that design.

I can't really address the other issues, but it saddens me to hear about them.

Tom

To the OP:

Send me a P.M. with the name of the attendant. I'm very curious about this. It shouldn't matter that the paging system was down. The SA made a commitment to serve dinner at a particular time. If there was a problem, it was incumbent on the SA to notify the passenger --- not the other way around. Did you complain?

This would have been the trip leaving Sanford 5/25, arriving 5/26, no? Do you know the line number of the sleeper?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, if the OP is a new member, s/he may not have enough posts to be able to send you a PM.

Tom, if the OP is a new member, s/he may not have enough posts to be able to send you a PM.
One doesn't need a specific number of posts to send a PM. Once you are a member, you can send a PM. Only guests cannot send a PM.
Didn't know that. Another forum I'm on has a "number of posts" requirement before allowing PMs.

Sorry all for not stopping back by, Tom did reach and to me and we've emailed back and forth a bit. The things that happened would not have been big issues to me, hardly note worthy. But for seniors who have mobility issues it was an unfortunate combination issues. Apparently the page systems was not working on the lower level only which the crew was aware of. But given that no one let folks on the lower level know there was an issue with the bathrooms, nor when half were repaired until they found someone in the hall to ask, etc.

Looks like a matter of somebody committing a serious fumble. I haven't been able to learn much about it independently, but it sure seems like an aberration. Most Auto Train employees would not let this happen, now or in the past.

Tom

The room attendant knew they requested dinner delivered so she would not have to talk between cars, but told them she could not do 9pm they'd asked for at check in as she'd be setting up beds by then. They agreed her suggestion of 8:30 would be fine. By 9 and no dinner they paged her and caught her in the hall a bit later. She said the paging system was down. She said the kitchen told her they could not have the dinners ready for another 20 minutes. Finally at 9:45 (remember, she insisted she'd need to bring at 8:30) she delivered them and as you'd guess they were stone cold.
The SA has many duties, and many passengers to attend to. If by 9pm (kind of late for a dinner IMHO), the SA normal duties involve converting all the roomettes and bedrooms to their night-time configuration, I can easily see it being reasonable that the SA would not want to take on something additional like delivering a late dinner.

The fact that the SA was accommodating (bending her hectic schedule) when the dining car was running late, and bringing the food at 9:45, I see as a plus. I don't think it was appropriate for you all to ridicule the SA for what should be a pat-on-the-back. What did you rather want the SA to do? Tell you that the since the diner car is running late (past 9pm), you're not going to get your meal at all now?

Sorry that your meal was "stone cold". I guess you should have sent it back to the dining car and hope that someone there, could fix it.

The SA has many duties, and many passengers to attend to. If by 9pm (kind of late for a dinner IMHO), the SA normal duties involve converting all the roomettes and bedrooms to their night-time configuration, I can easily see it being reasonable that the SA would not want to take on something additional like delivering a late dinner.

The fact that the SA was accommodating (bending her hectic schedule) when the dining car was running late, and bringing the food at 9:45, I see as a plus. I don't think it was appropriate for you all to ridicule the SA for what should be a pat-on-the-back. What did you rather want the SA to do? Tell you that the since the diner car is running late (past 9pm), you're not going to get your meal at all now?

Sorry that your meal was "stone cold". I guess you should have sent it back to the dining car and hope that someone there, could fix it.
I totally disagree. After emergencies and loading/unloading passengers, one of the most critical duties an SCA has is getting food to someone with disabilities who is unable to fend for themselves. If the dinner was stone cold, it wasn't because the diner crew put it in the refrigerator. It was because it was not picked up when ready.

How would the people "send it back to the dining car"? By calling the SCA who didn't deliver it when it was supposed to be picked up and delivered?

That's one of Amtrak's big problems. Inconsistent service on the train.

Delivering that dinner is a part of their job, and something that they agreed to do for the passenger.

Passengers with disabilities come first, in my opinion. Able-bodied passengers are better able to deal with a little waiting. Cold food is unacceptable, especially since there was only one car between the diner and the passenger's accommodations (this was not mentioned previously). I was always aware that I might forget something so I always wrote it down. In spite of these measures, I occasionally provided service that was less than optimal, in which case I always apologized and did my best to compensate as best I could. I wasn't the perfect attendant at all times, so please don't think I'm tooting my own horn.

Tom

Question for the Original Poster:

Since they have Superliner equipment on the AT, I am curious about the roomettes. On our recent trip every single sleeper car we were on was stuffy and warm, with the SCA's not able to adjust the temperature to a comfortable level. Is this normal?

Usually the temp has been ok, summer and winter. Some trips the control in the room seemed to have little effect but I've been comfortable for the most part.

Well, the HEP limit is the total power draw. They may have been able to reduce the power load further by some equipment upgrade for lighting and perhaps even HVAC. Who knows? I am still awaiting details of whether the car is in exchange for a revenue car or they were able to net net add another car. Since it is a non-rev car it has no impact on the number of Auto Racks needed. The total train length limit is 50 cars.

There is a rumor floating around that the Auto train has got its separate Sleeper lounge back.
According to post on trainorders today, the Autotrain does indeed have a Superliner Lounge Car for Sleeping Car Passengers back in the consist!

It is described as a converted Diner with a bar upstairs in place of one of the tables.

Nice that those in the Sleeping Cars once again have a place to have a drink, kick back, wait for their Dinner rez etc. without being captive in their room!

Maybe the bean counters are losing clout @ 60 Mass and the Operations and Marketing people are actually listening to their customers??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back