Unscanned Amtrak ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LovelyK

The conductor didn't scan my ticket before I got to my destination. Can I try using it again the next time I travel from Los Angeles to Anaheim? Thanks!

The conductor didn't scan my ticket before I got to my destination. Can I try using it again the next time I travel from Los Angeles to Anaheim? Thanks!
Your ticket is for a particular train on a particular day. If it was not scanned, that has no barring on it. Did you ride on the train that day? Then the ticket was used.

The Conductor didn't scan the ticket. Sometimes you can't find the conductor, even if you look to scan the ticket. Sometimes they don't scan it. If it is unreserved it is valid for 1 year. It if it reserved the ticket will be cancelled and you will be emailed an e-voucher. I assume it is an unreserved trip on the Pacific Surfliner?

You can also call customer service and explain the situation and see if they can mark the ticket as traveled (this mainly applies if you would to get the points from the ticket). I did this once but was told that the E-Voucher would still be valid as it was "their mistake."

Now if you look at the moral issue... if the transportation was provided then you should pay for it. You could just not use the ticket and it would be ruled invalid after a year. You could call and inform Amtrak. Or you can see it as the Conductor had other matters he/she was attending to and did not have time (or bother to go through the train) to scan/collect the ticket so that is on Amtrak. All depends on how you view the situation on how to proceed.

But the technical answer to your question is an unreserved ticket is valid for one year after the date listed on the ticket.

He/she didn't ask MAY he. He/she asked COULD he/she TRY using it. Though I see what you are saying.

He/she can try using it. If it wasn't scanned on an Unreserved Pacific Surfliner the ticket will scan and show as valid.

Not commenting on if he/she should do that. Just the technical aspect that the ticket still would scan. From what I gather he/she did travel but the ticket was never scanned.

I was doing a point run from FTW to DAL one time where I had to take the TRE(commuter train) back to FTW. The #22 was running late and I didn't want to wait another hour for the next TRE, so I jumped on the one just before it pulled out. I didn't have time to buy a ticket, and the conductor never came around and asked for one. So I guess I got away with a free ride, right? Wrong. As soon as I got off in FTW I bought a ticket for the same trip(albeit was in reverse of the trip I had just taken) I tore that ticket up and never used it! I believe in karma, doing the next right thing, and GOD. :) Do I expect you to do the same? Frankly, I don't care. I don't have to live with you :eek:

Once I nearly got to my destination without my ticket being scanned. I actually tracked down the conductor before I exited. I asked what would happen if it didn't get scanned. He said it would still be a "liability" and could be used. There was no hint of disapproval or any suggestion that one shouldn't use such a ticket.

Heck - I've even heard a ticket agent hinting how to get away with paying less. I won't say how.

Under most circumstances I would not approve of a free ride, however, since the ticket was purchased in good faith and you stood ready to present the ticket to an employee (not hiding in a washroom or moving to avoid the conductor) and the employee did not collect it, then you're free to use the ticket again.

Ok my thoughts on this. I agree with MikefromCrete's statement. Pacific Surfliner Tickets are unreserved and can be used within a year. Same with Keystone, and Hiawatha Services. The only way it can't be used is if it was a Business Class ticket. Which are for that day's train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back