Unusual Southwest Chief trainset in ABQ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abqdave

Train Attendant
Today was the first day I have really felt like 'foamer' or 'railfan' or whatever term one wants to use. My interest in taking trains instead of flying or driving started May 2008 and was really prompted by my increasing efforts to lower my carbon footprint. My first Amtrak trip from ABQ to LA and back (and LA to San Diego while I was in California) was a mixed bag, followed by a trip over this past Christmas/New Years to Washington DC that was enjoyable. But even though I have grown to like long distance train travel, enjoy the NM Rail Runner, and watch Extreme Trains on History channel and Trains & Locomotives on RFD-TV (and read this site regularly), I truthfully am hardly a rail fanatic.

I think that changed today. Taking my usual bus route from work to downtown crosses a bridge over the ABQ yard; there was the Southwest Chief (late), with a yellow coach attached to the baggage cars. Once we got to ATC, I decided to run over and see what it was..really run, as I have less than 10 minutes to connect with my 2nd bus the rest of the way home.

As I hurried to the front of the trainset to take photos, I literally stopped in my tracks (sorry). Just before the yellow Pullman coach was a second Pullman coach…a Boston & Maine coach named Salisbury Beach. Salisbury is a town in Massachusetts (looking at a map…right where Mass. and NH meet on the Atlantic Ocean) where I grew up.

What in the world are the chances of this happening? Not only seeing a B&M coach in Albuquerque, but one named after my hometown? Wow! Now I am really eager to see find more rail treasures out there. I think I am now a foamer!

Enjoy these pics of the trainset. http://picasaweb.google.com/abqdave/AmtrakSouthwestChief#

Interesting! I saw these 2 cars in Chicago last Tuesday when we were getting off the morning Wolverine; I believe they were on the Lake Shore Limited.

Interesting! I saw these 2 cars in Chicago last Tuesday when we were getting off the morning Wolverine; I believe they were on the Lake Shore Limited.

A few days ago, I reported the LSL consist as such:

These two cars must've been known to Amtrak as '800355' and 800257,' assuming that they did come from the Lake Shore.

The Salisbury Beach, and the Pacific Sands made a trip from Los Angeles to New Orleans to Washington DC, then to Boston. They were in South Station last weekend, and departed on the LSL on Monday to Chicago, then on to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I could not get by BOS as I had other plans.

The Salisbury Beach website has more information on the car itself, and some past and future trips.

Abqdave, perhaps you could travel to LA, and enjoy a ride on the Salisbury Beach....the site mentions day and weekend trips to San Diego. And, I agree, it must have been really cool to see that car in ABQ :eek: :)

All Private Varnish (PV) cars have an 800xxx number for identification.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find most interesting is they put these to PV's up front between the baggage and the trans-dorm. That would allow passengers on the two PV's access to the rest of the Amtrak train.

I have heard of some PV trips doing this and allowing them to eat in the dining car.

I have heard of some PV trips doing this and allowing them to eat in the dining car.
Not all PV's have a kitchen. Some are just sleepers.
So, does Amtrak charge more for this type of placement? I would assume so since it takes more switching.
I would assume so also, especially if they are eating Amtrak's food. But I have no actual proof either.
I would also assume they would have to purchase the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back