Up coming trip booked today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mflsjhs

Service Attendant
booked a trip out west and back today. LakeShore Limited from New York to Chicago in a Viewliner Roomette and Chicago to Los Angeles on the Southwest Chief in a Superliner Roomette and the same in reverse. last summer i did a cross country trip on the Crescent and Sunset Limited in a bedroom this is my first trip on the LSL and SWC and also first time in a roomette i am travelin solo so space shouldnt be a problem any tips comments or thoughts about the room or the trains would be great thanks

thought of a couple more questions for both trains, will probly find more

1. Lake Shore Limited

What speed does it run? i know theres 90 and 110mph sections somewhere in new york, is the higher speed only with the P-32 or does it run more after it takes on the 2 P-42's

can you get out and watch the engine change or car combining with the boston section?

2. Southwest Chief

does anyone know for how long or how often the train runs 90mph? what is the scenery like? i assume from what ive heard its better than the sunset limited was

1. Lake Shore Limited

What speed does it run? i know theres 90 and 110mph sections somewhere in new york, is the higher speed only with the P-32 or does it run more after it takes on the 2 P-42's

can you get out and watch the engine change or car combining with the boston section?

2. Southwest Chief

does anyone know for how long or how often the train runs 90mph? what is the scenery like? i assume from what ive heard its better than the sunset limited was
1. I don't know much about the speed on the LSL, but I do know that you can get out to watch the trains getting combined.

2. I think it runs at 90 from CHI-HUT, or somewhere around HUT, then 79 or less to ABQ, then more 90 running to LAX. Of course the speeds are much reduced in mountainous areas. The scenery is not half bad at all, IMO.

1. Lake Shore Limited

Most of the higher speeds are between Poughkeepsie and Albany. There is one small stretch I believe west of Albany.

You can get out and watch them cut off the P32, but you won't be able to watch them put the P42's on. The P42's were on the Boston section from Boston, so they just remain attached and get refueled in Albany. After the P32 is cut off, the Boston section is backed down on the NY section.

Hi- Have been on the Southwest Chief several times- most recently 2010. Going again this Fall.

We really enjoy the scenery in New Mexico- perhaps because we're from Maine and NM is so different.

Have a great trip.

just got off phone with amtrak, in roomette #7 car 4912 going to chicago, #8 on the swc out to lax and back to chicago an roomette 2 4812 coming back to new york does anybody know if these are good spots as far as scenery or things like that esp along the hudson river ?

also, how does the diner-lounge work on the LSL as conpared to the other LD trains that have the cafe car?

what is club acela in new york like and how is boarding process from there i have used philly club acela as well as boston and DC curious as to how new york does it getting down to train how long do u board before actual departure so i know ballpark of how long i have to get situated before train takes off not important but this is the first time in a roomette and on the LSL or SWC previous trips have been all bedrooms on either the silver trains crescent or sunset limited

just got off phone with amtrak, in roomette #7 car 4912 going to chicago, #8 on the swc out to lax and back to chicago an roomette 2 4812 coming back to new york does anybody know if these are good spots as far as scenery or things like that esp along the hudson river ?
Unfortunately in both directions your room will be on the opposite side of the train from the Hudson River. On the other hand you should get some views of the Great Lakes if you're up early enough in the morning. Of course most of the trip happens overnight anyhow, so it may not matter all that much.

also, how does the diner-lounge work on the LSL as conpared to the other LD trains that have the cafe car?
The Lake Shore Limited doesn't use a Diner-Lite car. It runs with a full dining car in the NY section and a normal cafe car on the Boston section. That means that between NY & Albany you will not have access to the cafe car, but being in a sleeper you will get dinner in the diner going to Albany.

what is club acela in new york like and how is boarding process from there i have used philly club acela as well as boston and DC curious as to how new york does it getting down to train how long do u board before actual departure so i know ballpark of how long i have to get situated before train takes off not important but this is the first time in a roomette and on the LSL or SWC previous trips have been all bedrooms on either the silver trains crescent or sunset limited
The CA in NY is often very busy, and at times it can be hard to find seats on a very busy day. There is no pre-boarding in NY like there is in DC & Philly. They'll announce the train a few minutes before they announce it outside to the coach passengers, so if you hurry out to the track which is usually right outside the door of the lounge, you can be the first in line at least. Typically they'll announce the train maybe 15 to 20 minutes prior to departure.

I thought that there is no way to pre-determine which side off the train you will be on!
At least until the Viewliner Diner's come on line, all single level sleepers have to be orientated in such a way as to have their vestibule next to the Heritage dining cars so that in an emergency people have a way to get out. This makes it possible to determine which side of the train you'll be on when riding on a single level consist.

Once the new diners are online, Amtrak will be able to do whatever it wants, much like it does with the Superliners.

does anybody know anything as to how often the SWC and lake shore limited run behind schedule? or arr they pretty good about being on time?

i read alot about the LSL being late in the past but itbseems better anyone know any specific scenic areas on either train to pay attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back