UP MW train in Santa Barbara

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Dee

Lead Service Attendant
A Union Pacific Maintenance of Way train spent most of the day today in Santa Barbara performing all kinds of work on the right-of-way.

It was such a pleasure to hear a train horn after all this time.

Hopefully, soon the UP and Amtrak trains will be rolling through our beautiful city once again.

After all of the tragic loss of lives and property, we will finally be allowed to return to some state of normalcy.

Allen Dee said:
Hopefully, soon the Amtrak trains will be rolling through our beautiful city once again.
Looks like it will still be a while...

Operations Update 1/20/05 1:00 p.m. / Southwest Division / Richard H. Phelps

Severe weather conditions have been experienced in Southern California that resulted in several sinkholes and washouts reported on the Union Pacific Railroad. Union Pacific forces report a significant amount of track and right of way work needs to be accomplished on the Coast route between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo, including tie replacement, ditching, track undercutting, and surfacing.

The following is the latest update resulting from the Amtrak/Union Pacific conference call as of 10:00 a.m. (PT) Jan. 20, 2005. All dates are contingent upon no further weather-related problems:

Coast Starlight

• Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Oakland on Feb. 28, 2005.,

Pacific Surfliner

• Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Goleta on Feb. 8, 2005.

• Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo on Feb. 28, 2005.

Amtrak is a registered service mark of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation. :(

For the duration of the Starlight's service disruption, it will run with 1 sleeper, 2 coaches, a diner, lounge, and NO Parlour.

Just a heads up.

I just visited Mertrolink's website. Their Ventura County line will resume full service to Camarillo, Oxnard, and Montalvo on Monday afternoon 1/24/05.

According to Amtrak's website, full service on the Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight will resume on 1/26/05, maybe.

I did not see or hear any UP MW trains in Santa Barbara today.

Allen Dee said:
According to Amtrak's website, full service on the Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight will resume on 1/26/05, maybe.
New info, not yet posted on Amtrak's site, and based upon a conference call between UP & Amtrak, say it's much worse than that.

Here's the latest, still subject to change.

Coast Starlight
. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Oakland on Feb. 28, 2005.

Pacific Surfliner

. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Goleta on Feb. 8, 2005.

. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo on Feb. 28, 2005.

New info, not yet posted on Amtrak's site, and based upon a conference call between UP & Amtrak, say it's much worse than that.

Here's the latest, still subject to change.

Coast Starlight
. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Oakland on Feb. 28, 2005.

Pacific Surfliner

. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and Goleta on Feb. 8, 2005.

. Regular service expected to resume between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo on Feb. 28, 2005.
That's exactly what I posted in the second message down, AlanB. B)

jccollins said:
That's exactly what I posted in the second message down, AlanB. B)
Oops, sorry my bad. :(

I never looked back up the topic when I responded to Allen's post. I was pulling those Feb dates from OTOL and thinking that was the only place that I had seen them.

According to an article in today's Santa Barbara News-Press, UP was going to start operating freight trains -- at very restricted speeds -- last night. However, I have not heard or seen any such movements. It's my guess that the opening of the coast line was postponed again.

If I see any trains passing through town in the near future, I'll give you folks a post.

I heard a UP horn at approximately 1:00 PM today. I did not get a chance to see the train, so I don't know if it was a revenue freight train or just another MW train.

I will keep you all posted if I hear and/or see any other train movements in the area in the near future.

Back