upcoming service disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMTK1007

Train Attendant
Miami Joe....

Have you heard anything on the plans being made for the arrival of the latest Hurricane?

Posting from the Midwest Consolidated Regional Operations Center I remain Amtk 1007

I am assuming service is going to be cut saturday and sunday and maybe longer. Charlie cripled csx, which still has not fully recovered. This latest hurricane Francis is going to do alot of damage. :(

I am making a presumption that 1&2 will short turn at NOL

Posting from the Midwest Consolidated Regional operations center, I remain AMTK 1007

Right now all I am hearing is:

Due to approaching Hurricane Francis, Train 2(01SEP) will terminate at New

Orleans, Train 1(05SEP) will originate at New Orleans.

No alternate transportation.

keeping my fingers crossed for all the Amtrak employees in Florida...

Posting from the Midwest Consolidated Regional operations center, I remain AMTK 1007

89 will run into Miami, bypassing TPA, with Alternate Transportation provided to TPA. 91 and 97 will terminate in Orlando and then double back to Sanford for the layover. No word yet as to what will happen to the T&E crews as well as OBS. P002 originating on Sunday will terminate in Sanford. All outbound trains are operating as scheduled with added capacity, except Auto Train which will have no extra capacity.

Here's the official Amtrak press release, which confims most of what B51 stated.

AMTRAK MAKES SERVICE CHANGES DUE TO HURRICANE FRANCES’ EXPECTED LANDFALLRail service to and from Florida disrupted

WASHINGTON - Amtrak, in consultation with CSX Transportation and emergency management officials, is announcing service changes in Florida based on the predicted landfall of Hurricane Frances.  Amtrak is notifying customers of the following:

These trains to Florida from the north and west are affected:

Palmetto, Train 89,which originated today (Wednesday) from New York, will continue to its destination of Miami tomorrow (Thursday), but will bypass Tampa with alternate transportation to Tampa provided.

Silver Star, Train 91, which originated today (Wednesday) from New York, will terminate in Orlando instead of Miami tomorrow (Thursday), with no alternate transportation available south from Orlando.

Silver Meteor, Train 97, which originated today (Wednesday) from New York, will terminate in Orlando instead of Miami tomorrow (Thursday), with no alternate transportation available south from Orlando.

Sunset Limited, Train 2, which originated Sunday from Los Angeles, will terminate in Sanford instead of Orlando tomorrow (Thursday), with alternate transportation available south to Orlando.

Sunset Limited, Train 2, which originates today (Wednesday) from Los Angeles, will terminate in New Orleans on Friday instead of Orlando on Saturday, with no alternate transportation available east to Orlando.

Palmetto, Train 89, which originates tomorrow (Sept. 2) from New York, is cancelled.

Silver Star, Train 91, which originates tomorrow (Sept. 2) from New York, will terminate in Jacksonville instead of Miami on Friday, with no alternate transportation available south from Jacksonville.

Silver Meteor, Train 97, which originates tomorrow (Sept. 2) from New York, will terminate in Jacksonville instead of Miami on Friday, with no alternate transportation available south from Jacksonville.

This train to the north and west from Florida is affected:

Sunset Limited, Train 1, which originates tomorrow (Sept. 2) from Orlando, will originate in Sanford, with alternate transportation available from Orlando.

All other services tomorrow (Sept. 2) to the north from Florida (Palmetto, Silver Star, Silver Meteor & Auto Train) are expected to operate normally, with additional capacity added to the Palmetto and the Silver Service trains.

These plans are subject to change, as conditions dictate.

Amtrak will provide daily updates to the www.amtrak.com website and passengers are invited to check on the web or by calling 800-USA-RAIL for additional information until the hurricane passes or dissipates.
The full press release can be found here.

Here's today's Press Release from Amtrak:

DUE TO HURRICANE FRANCES' EXPECTED LANDFALL
All southbound service to Florida suspended, effective Sept. 3

Limited northbound service from Florida continues Sept. 3

WASHINGTON - Amtrak, in consultation with CSX Transportation and emergency management officials, is continuing to make service changes to and from Florida based on the predicted landfall of Hurricane Frances. Amtrak is notifying customers of the following:

These trains from the north to Florida are affected

Palmetto (Train 89), Silver Star (Train 91), and Silver Meteor (Train 97), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 3) from New York to Miami, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Auto Train (Train 53), which originates tomorrow (Sept 3.) from Lorton, Va., to Sanford is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

These trains to the north from Florida are affected

Palmetto (Train 90) and Silver Star (Train 92), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 3) from Miami to New York, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Silver Meteor (Train 98) will originate in Sanford instead of Miami tomorrow (Sept. 3), with alternate transportation provided from Orlando and Winter Park only.

Auto Train (Train 52), will originate in Sanford and operate to Lorton.

Also effective tomorrow (Sept. 3) all Amtrak facilities south of Orlando will be closed and secured, including Tampa, Sebring, West Palm Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Miami.

These plans are subject to change, as conditions dictate.

Amtrak will provide daily updates to the www.amtrak.com website and passengers are invited to check on the web or by calling 800-USA-RAIL for additional information until the hurricane passes or dissipates.
I just spoke to the Conductor on P09701, he said they will wye the train at Taft, take it back up to Sanford to layover. They will spend the night and deadhead back to JAX on 98. So there will be one Silver Service trainset left in Sanford facing the wrong way. Both Auto Train trainsets will end up in Lorton.

I just want to say to all of you down in Florida (Miami Joe, Battalion51, etc.) that you are in my thoughts and prayers. If you're going to ride it out, I hope you'll be safe (and dry ;) ).

I hope ill be safe. The worst part about this storm is it can change almost instantly and the projected path can lead it right for you. ALthough this will be a real pain for me, two hurricanes in one month(not calanderwise).

999's really in more danger than Joe and I are. It's been pretty calm down here so far, we have had a few rain bands come through so far, with a gust of 70 MPH reported at Boca Raton, but nothing big other than that so far. We shuttered up my entire house, with everything except my Father's car inside the house or garage. Many of our neighbors have followed suit since many of us lived through Andrew, or have seen the effects from it.

Well they still don't know just where this thing is really gonna hit. So I'd still be real careful down there. Besides, since Frances has slowed down now, some reports are predicting as much as 20 inches of rain for Florida. That's a lot of water. :eek:

So batten down and hold onto your hat. It could be a very intersting ride.

Stay safe!

Hi from "Hurricane Central"! :lol:

Doing fine and enjoying my day off! :p

Amtrak wouldn't take care of it's employees during this crisis. :angry: While Tommy explained the circumstances and options, I was dissapointed. :(

With the holiday on Monday, the union contract is set up that the employee must work the day before and the day after the holiday, to get paid for the holiday. You had 3 choices for Friday; 1) go to work and swipe your card, staying 1 hr and go home. 2) use a personal day or 3) use a vacation day.

Why couldn't payroll give everyone 1 hr and let them stay home? There was alot of work at my house that needed to get done.

Now I have to deal with getting to work Tuesday. While everything looks good, why couldn't Amtrak give us a break? It's put a "bad taste in my mouth" and I won't forget this for a long time! :angry:

Let's change the subject!

Got the yard set up Thursday for the hurricane. Put all the trains in a pack and put locos on each track to provide power, if needed. Also have locos for the PM line.

I think that it will be awhile before the trains roll. With all the flooding from the slow storm, the trackbed will need to be inspected in detail. Add in the debris removal and I think you get the picture! :lol:

I'm grateful that Miami was spared, but pray for the folks to the North. Thankfully, the storm has lost speed, but the dwell time will still take its toll.

Good luck everybody and drop a line when possible, so we know you're doing fine! :D

Miami Joe B)

I'll be back in 20 minutes. Gonna "fly" the dog and hope he takes care of business. He won't go out on the porch! :( Shy bladder? :blink:

battalion51 said:
999's really in more danger than Joe and I are. It's been pretty calm down here so far, we have had a few rain bands come through so far, with a gust of 70 MPH reported at Boca Raton, but nothing big other than that so far. We shuttered up my entire house, with everything except my Father's car inside the house or garage. Many of our neighbors have followed suit since many of us lived through Andrew, or have seen the effects from it.
Yeah, right now we boarded up most of our house. If the hurricane dose not turn and hit the orlando area on a diagnol, it will hit me hard. There is still a possibility it will run vertically up the coast. I lived in Boca during Andrew, so I have been accustomed to expected the unexpected. Frances could always do what andrew did and turn where it was not expected too.

Afterall, charley suprised me, it turned at port charlote and heading up right to my area. If it stayed on its current track I would have gotten a minimal hit.

This is definatley odd for me, as normally my part of the state usually gets minimal amounts of hurricanes. Not counting charley, the last majopr threat was Floyd.

I wonder if where going to get a 3rd storm in the central florida area. These two have already screwed up my school year. I better start saying goodbye to my power, could be a few days if not more without it. :eek:

I'm back! :p

Pretty windy, kinda nice!!! :D

Ollie did #1, so I guess I'll find #2 on the floor in the morning! :blink:

Ollie's mad at me. :eek: The 3rd time I tossed him in the air, he growled at me. No flying dog. :(

will keep ya updated.

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:

Ollie's mad at me. :eek:  The 3rd time I tossed him in the air, he growled at me. No flying dog. :(

will keep ya updated.

MJ B)
Heck, Ollie's #2 could be on the front window of my house up in the Port if the winds keep up. :lol:

Amfleet said:
My family has a house in Port St. Lucie. I may be taking a trip down there in few weeks to check out the damage if we get a direct hit.
Not looking to good for you guys. Hopefully your house is is not in a flood zone. From what I rember that area has some problems with floods.

Miami Joe said:

Ollie's mad at me. :eek: The 3rd time I tossed him in the air, he growled at me. No flying dog. :(

will keep ya updated.

MJ B)
:lol: My family's dog may fly away if you take her out in the middle of the storm. She is pretty small and only ways 20 pounds. :lol:

engine999 said:
Amfleet said:
My family has a house in Port St. Lucie. I may be taking a trip down there in few weeks to check out the damage if we get a direct hit.
Not looking to good for you guys. Hopefully your house is is not in a flood zone. From what I rember that area has some problems with floods.
Well we have one of those drainage ditches about 10 feet back from our unit. It does fill with water when it rains, so we are hoping that it doesn't flood.

Good luck, there will be ALOT of rain so as long as the ditch flows downhill to a retention pond you should be ok.

Also I herd parts of West Palm already have no power. They are saying by me we could have winds of 60mph for about 12 hours. :(

We've already had several heavy rain squalls here 10 mi N or Orlando. We've put plywood up on the most vulnerable windows, expecting to lose power one of these next squalls. This is gonna be a un-fun 36 hours or so, since it is moving soooo sssssllllooowwwlllyyy. They have been estimating 20-30 inches of rain. And we sold the canoe last year. :(

There are a lot of people in South Florida without power, in excess of 60,000 if I'm not mistaken. Things haven't been too bad out here on the west side so far, so we've been lucky to this point.

battalion51 said:
There are a lot of people in South Florida without power, in excess of 60,000 if I'm not mistaken. Things haven't been too bad out here on the west side so far, so we've been lucky to this point.
I can say the same here on the east coast of central florida. All we have had are some light sprinkles of rain. There have been reports of power outages in the inland parts of my county.

Today was OK.

Alot of businesses were open during the day, with bands hitting every1/2 hr or so. Ran around, got food(beer) and got ready for tonight.

Watched the fights on Showtime and the storm is getting stronger. A few friends have lost power, but everyone is fine.

Got a good buzz going, will watch a little TV, and hit the sack.

Good luck everyone!! Try to post soon.

MJ B)

Back