upcoming service disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
battalion51 said:
All I know is I go to work at 3, and I CAN'T WAIT!!! :blink:
:blink: Stuff is still open up there! WOW. Everything is closed by me, and AFAIK there is a curfew in place scince last night.

I know Publix was closed yesterday, along with many other businesses. Muvico in Hialeah and Davie (I work at the one in Davie) is reopening at 3 today. I don't know what the status of the Pompano, Boca Raton, West Palm, Orlando, and Tampa locations is.

September 6, 200410:00 AM EDT

MOST FLORIDA AMTRAK SERVICE STILL SUSPENDED

Tuesday's Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Auto Train and northbound Palmetto canceled

Decision on Tuesday's Palmetto service southbound to Florida pending

Wednesday's northbound Auto Train canceled

Los Angeles - Orlando Sunset Limited service also affected

WASHINGTON -- Amtrak is working with CSX Transportation and local authorities to restore passenger rail service to and from Florida.  However, pending additional railroad infrastructure inspections and damage assessments from Hurricane Frances, some cancellations are in affect now, with a further announcement expected this evening (Sept. 6).

Other Amtrak services along the Eastern Seaboard and the Northeast Corridor are operating.

Amtrak is notifying customers of the following:

These trains from the north to Florida are affected:

Silver Star (Train 91) and Silver Meteor (Train 97), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 7) from New York to Miami, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.  An announcement about the Palmetto (Train 89), which originates tomorrow from New York, will be made this evening (Sept. 6), but operation of the train south of Jacksonville is not possible. Auto Train (Train 53), which originates tomorrow (Sept. 7) from Lorton, Va., to Sanford is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

These trains to the north from Florida are affected:

Palmetto (Train 90), Silver Star (Train 92) and Silver Meteor (Train 98), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 7) from Miami to New York, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Auto Train (Train 52), which originates tomorrow and Wednesday (Sept. 7 & Sept. 8) from Sanford to Lorton are canceled with no alternate transportation available.

These trains to the west from Florida are affected:

Sunset Limited (Train 1), which originates tomorrow (Sept. 7) and Thursday (Sept. 9) from Orlando will originate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation available.

All Amtrak facilities on Florida routes south of Columbia, S.C., and Fayetteville, N.C., are closed and secured, including Savannah, Ga., and all stations in Florida.  Inspections and assessments of Amtrak equipment and other property are underway in an effort to restore services as soon as possible.  Major electrical distribution outages, debris along tracks and damage to rail traffic control systems owned and maintained by CSX Transportation prevent an immediate restoration of all services.

Amtrak has added capacity to its Carolinian trains to and from New York and Charlotte (Trains 79 & 80) in order to accommodate passengers unable to travel to and from the Carolinas on the Florida services.

These plans are subject to change, as conditions dictate.

Amtrak will provide daily updates to the www.amtrak.com website and passengers are invited to check on the web or by calling 800-USA-RAIL for additional information.

Operating on battery laptop. Power out since Saturday nite. LOTS of rain (10 inches+), LOTS of wind, went on and on, from mid-Friday to mid-Monday!! Hot and humid. Hoping they get power back to us soon. Two Hurricanes now in 3 wks, may be another this weekend (Ivan). Sheesh!!! Heard on scanner listening to TV-audio that CSX had run a chopper over their route and counted in excess of 400 trees blocking their trackage, dunno about additional damage to crossings and crossing devices and signals. Man, what a mess in the Orlando area, but could have been worse (and was, lower East Florida Coast).

Guest_AmtrakWPK said:
Operating on battery laptop. Power out since Saturday nite. LOTS of rain (10 inches+), LOTS of wind, went on and on, from mid-Friday to mid-Monday!! Hot and humid. Hoping they get power back to us soon. Two Hurricanes now in 3 wks, may be another this weekend (Ivan). Sheesh!!! Heard on scanner listening to TV-audio that CSX had run a chopper over their route and counted in excess of 400 trees blocking their trackage, dunno about additional damage to crossings and crossing devices and signals. Man, what a mess in the Orlando area, but could have been worse (and was, lower East Florida Coast).
I only lost my power for 3 hours. Lots of fallen branches, and alot of rain. Not shure on the condition of fec main. The beacjside was hammered by me, alot of broken roofs and signs. Some places there were no street lights at all.

September 6, 20047:00 PM EDT

AMTRAK TO RESTORE LIMITED FLORIDA SERVICE

Tuesday's Palmetto to operate to and from Jacksonville and New York

Tuesday's Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Auto Train canceled

Wednesday's northbound Auto Train canceled

Los Angeles - Orlando Sunset Limited service still affected

WASHINGTON -- Amtrak is restoring limited service to and from Florida, effective tomorrow (Sept. 7): the Palmetto will operate to and from Jacksonville, with no alternate transportation available south of Jacksonville.  However, pending additional railroad infrastructure inspections and damage assessments from Hurricane Frances, other cancellations remain in effect.  Other Amtrak services along the Eastern Seaboard and the Northeast Corridor are operating.

Silver Star (Train 91) and Silver Meteor (Train 97), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 7) from New York to Miami, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.  The Palmetto (Train 89), which originates tomorrow (Sept. 7) from New York, will operate as far south as Jacksonville, with no alternate transportation available.  Continuation of the train south of Jacksonville to Tampa and Miami is not yet possible.

Auto Train (Train 53), which originates tomorrow (Sept. 7) from Lorton, Va., to Sanford is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Silver Star (Train 92) and Silver Meteor (Train 98), which originate tomorrow (Sept. 7) from Miami to New York, are canceled with no alternate transportation available.  The Palmetto (Train 90), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept.7) and Wednesday (Sept. 8) from Miami, will originate from Jacksonville instead, subject to some delay and with no alternate transportation available.  

Auto Train (Train 52), which originates tomorrow (Sept. 7) and Wednesday (Sept. 8) from Sanford to Lorton is canceled with no alternate transportation available .

Sunset Limited (Train 1), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 7) and Thursday (Sept. 9) from Orlando will originate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation available.

Amtrak is working with CSX Transportation and local authorities to restore other passenger rail service to and from Florida.  Major electrical distribution outages, debris along tracks and damage to rail traffic control systems owned and maintained by CSX prevent an immediate restoration of all services.  Inspections and assessments of Amtrak equipment and other property are underway in an effort to restore all services as soon as possible.

Amtrak has added capacity to its Carolinian trains to and from New York and Charlotte (Trains 79 & 80) in order to accommodate passengers unable to travel to and from the Carolinas on the Florida services.

Amtrak will provide daily updates to the www.amtrak.com website and passengers are invited to check on the web or by calling 800-USA-RAIL for additional information.

Glad to hear everyone's here! :D

House did OK and going to work tomorrow.

Power might be down in yard, but we have a loco on each track. This should give us a few days to work on the LDT's and catch up on the little things. PM's will continue.

Everyone is in my thoughts and "best wishes" to all

MJ B)

Looks like Battallion51 and Miami Joe have survived......good deal.....I certainly thought about each of you and hoped you were doing ok.

I have various relatives in Flordia, have not heard from but one and she is ok.

Yep everything is pretty much back to normal for me, but there's no school again today. This is the 6th day in a row we haven't had school, today because many schools did not have power. I'm not complaining, I got an 8 hour work shift today, nothing like money in the bank.

battalion51 said:
Yep everything is pretty much back to normal for me, but there's no school again today. This is the 6th day in a row we haven't had school, today because many schools did not have power. I'm not complaining, I got an 8 hour work shift today, nothing like money in the bank.
Thats nothing, My school is officially canceled untill monday. I have been off school scince thursday. Plus we didnt have school for 6 days before/after charlie. Plus with ivan comming, I will have an extended school year. They already got rid of the 3 day weekends within the school year.

engine999 said:
battalion51 said:
Thats nothing, My school is officially canceled untill monday. I have been off school scince thursday. Plus we didnt have school for 6 days before/after charlie. Plus with ivan comming, I will have an extended school year. They already got rid of the 3 day weekends within the school year.
You'll just have to give up some of those Snow Days. :p

Maybe just like we have snow days here in the north, your schools should plan in hurricane days when they set the school calendar.

AlanB said:
engine999 said:
battalion51 said:
You'll just have to give up some of those Snow Days. :p

Maybe just like we have snow days here in the north, your schools should plan in hurricane days when they set the school calendar.
Thats what the teacher duty days are for. If there are no natural disasters then we get a 3day weekend. Now only federal holidays we will have off. Unfotunatley only so many are scheduled in the year. No one expected two or possibly 3 hurricanes. I have also herd a rumor that they have 3 extra days in the year anyways. I havent taken time to count them though. :blink:

And with this weird year, we may end up with snow down here. Two years ago we saw some snow flakes. I was freezing, I am just not aclimated to the cold temperatures.

Today's update on Florida service:

September 7, 20044:00 PM EDT

AMTRAK TO RESTORE MORE FLORIDA SERVICE

Wednesday's Silver Star & Palmetto to operate to and from Jacksonville and New York

Wednesday's Silver Meteor and Auto Train canceled

WASHINGTON -- Amtrak is restoring more service to and from Florida, effective tomorrow (Sept. 8): the Silver Star will operate to and from Jacksonville via Columbia, S.C., and the Palmetto will operate to and from Jacksonville via Florence, S.C.  No alternate transportation is available south of Jacksonville.  Other cancellations remain in effect, pending additional railroad infrastructure work and damage repairs from Hurricane Frances.  

Other Amtrak services along the Eastern Seaboard and the Northeast Corridor are operating, subject to some delays in areas where Frances lingers as a tropical depression with very heavy rains and associated electrical outages.

Silver Star (Train 91) and Palmetto (Train 89), which are scheduled originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from New York to Miami, will operate as far south as Jacksonville, with no alternate transportation available.  Continuation of the trains south of Jacksonville to Tampa and Miami is not possible at this time.  The Silver Meteor (Train 97), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from New York to Miami, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Auto Train (Train 53), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from Lorton, Va., to Sanford is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Silver Star (Train 92) and Palmetto (Train 90), which are scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from Miami, will originate from Jacksonville instead, with no alternate transportation available.  The Silver Meteor (Train 98), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from Miami to New York, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.  

Auto Train (Train 52), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) and Thursday (Sept. 9) from Sanford to Lorton, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

This train to the west from Florida is affected:

Sunset Limited (Train 1), which is scheduled to originate Thursday (Sept. 9) from Orlando will originate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation available.

Inspections, assessments and repairs of Amtrak property are underway in an effort to restore all services as soon as possible. Major electrical distribution outages, debris along tracks and damage to rail traffic control systems owned and maintained by CSX Transportation prevent an immediate restoration of all services.

The latest from Amtrak on Wednesday the 8th:

September 8, 200411:00 AM EDT

AMTRAK CONTINUES LIMITED FLORIDA SERVICE

Thursday's Silver Meteor & Palmetto to operate to and from Jacksonville and New York

Thursday's Silver Star and Auto Train canceled

WASHINGTON -- Amtrak is continuing limited service to and from Florida.  Effective tomorrow (Sept. 9), the Silver Meteor and Palmetto will operate to and from Jacksonville via Florence, S.C.  No alternate transportation is available south of Jacksonville.  Other cancellations remain in effect, pending additional railroad infrastructure work and damage repairs.  

Amtrak services along the Eastern Seaboard and the Northeast Corridor are operating, subject to some delays in areas where Hurricane Frances lingers as a tropical depression with very heavy rains and associated electrical outages.

Silver Meteor (Train 97) and Palmetto (Train 89), which are scheduled originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) from New York to Miami, will operate as far south as Jacksonville, with no alternate transportation available.  Continuation of the trains south of Jacksonville to Tampa and Miami is not possible at this time.  The Silver Star (Train 91), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 8) from New York to Miami, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Auto Train (Train 53), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) from Lorton, Va., to Sanford is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Silver Meteor (Train 98) and Palmetto (Train 90), which are scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) from Miami, will originate from Jacksonville instead, with no alternate transportation available.  The Silver Star (Train 92), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) from Miami to New York, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.  

Auto Train (Train 52), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) and Friday (Sept. 10) from Sanford to Lorton, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

This train from the west to Florida is affected:

Sunset Limited (Train 2), which is scheduled to originate tonight (Sept. 8) from Los Angeles to Sanford, will terminate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation available.  

Sunset Limited (Train 1), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 9) and Sunday (Sept. 12) from Orlando will originate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation available.

Staffed Amtrak stations in central and south Florida that were closed before the hurricane arrived have now reopened for passenger ticketing and to answer customer questions, with shortened hours pending the resumption of full service.  Major electrical distribution outages, debris along tracks and damage to rail traffic control systems owned and maintained by CSX Transportation prevent an immediate restoration of all services.

HALLELUJAH!!! :D :D Our power finally came back on late this afternoon (Wednesday). :D :D Went out in the middle of the nite on Sunday morning. Took a little longer for them to get it back when it went out from Charlie (Fri. Nite through following Wed. eve.), and this is getting a little old, with 90 degree, 90% humidity days and no power and no air condx!! :angry: Saw the "local" CSX freight go through today past the A783 MP, four boxcars, I think, and a small road engine. Engr, conductor, and flagman. Engr. had a cellphone to his ear, maybe talking to either AA dispatch or maybe a signal maintainer to let him know what was and wasn't working for crossings. Flagman was hanging onto the front rail of the engine. They stopped and flagged each crossing, even though the lights and gates were actually working at 783. Signals are still messed up though, just sitting there red in both directions, so I guess AA desk still doesn't have connectivity with the signals in that corridor yet. That's been messed up ever since Charlie went through. :( Haven't seen any other train movement past A783 but haven't been there all the time, either.

WASHINGTON -- Amtrak, working with CSX Transportation, is restoring service to and from Florida.  Effective tomorrow (Sept. 10), all southbound trains will operate from New York to Miami, and the southbound Auto Train will operate from Lorton, Va., to Sanford, Fla.  Some other cancellations remain in effect until Sunday, when full service will be restored between the Eastern Seaboard and Florida.

Palmetto (Train 89), Silver Star (Train 91), Silver Meteor (Train 97) will operate over their full routes from New York to Miami, effective tomorrow (Sept. 10).

Auto Train (Train 53), will operate from Lorton to Sanford, effective tomorrow (Sept. 10).

Silver Meteor (Train 98) and Palmetto (Train 90), which are scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 10) from Miami, will originate from Jacksonville instead, with no alternate transportation available.  The Silver Star (Train 92), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 10) from Miami to New York, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.  

Palmetto (Train 90) will operate from Miami to New York, effective Saturday (Sept. 11).  Silver Star (Train 92), which is scheduled to originate Saturday (Sept. 11) from Miami to New York, will originate from Jacksonville instead, with no alternate transportation available.  Silver Meteor (Train 98), which is scheduled to originate Saturday (Sept. 11) from Miami to New York, will originate in Sanford instead, with alternate transportation provided from Orlando.

Palmetto (Train 90), Silver Star (Train 92), Silver Meteor (Train 98) will operate over their full routes from Miami to New York, effective Sunday (Sept. 12).

Auto Train (Train 52), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow (Sept. 10) from Sanford to Lorton, is canceled with no alternate transportation available.

Auto Train (Train 52), will operate over its full route from Sanford to Lorton, effective Saturday (Sept. 11).

This train from the west to Florida is affected:

Sunset Limited (Train 2), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow night (Sept. 10) from Los Angeles to Orlando, will terminate in New Orleans instead, with alternate transportation provided to Orlando.  

This train to the west from Florida is affected:

Sunset Limited (Train 1), which is scheduled to originate tomorrow Sunday (Sept. 12) from Orlando will originate in New Orleans instead, with no alternate transportation provided.

Staffed Amtrak stations in central and south Florida that were closed before Hurricane Frances arrived have now reopened for passenger ticketing and to answer customer questions.

Amtrak appreciates the patience of customers during this service disruption and credits the work carried out by Amtrak and CSX employees for the service restoration.

Amtrak passengers are invited to visit the www.amtrak.com website or call 800-USA-RAIL for additional information and updates.

battalion51 said:
Conditions AND Ivan! With landfall looking like the weekend, the final CSX cleanup and Ivan's arrival might be a dead heat.

Let's hope this time the storm breaks up or heads another direction. For Florida, two in one season is bad enough. Three is nuts. And Ivan, right now, is a monster!

It's kinda funny whan of the kids I go to school is named Francis Evan Wennovich ________. We've got Frances Ivan, now the next major storm has to sound like Wennovich. :lol:

I know a lot of people are happy to hear trains are going to be running south, so that some guys will at least get a paycheck this week.

I wonder if hurricanes are like lightning. Attracted to spots that have been preveosly hit. ;) My part of the state is definatley setting records, 3 in one month. Whats next? 4? :(

Here we go again...... Well, let's see now. Looks like Saturday and Sunday will probably have normal service to and from Florida. Then I would expect that if Ivan continues it's current prognosticated path, Amtrak may allow the 92 and 98 Northbounds to depart Miami and Sanford on Monday but 90 would be iffy, and I doubt they will allow any Southbounds to depart New York, unless they terminate them well North of JAX.

This is really getting old. We're leaving the plywood on all the windows and seriously considering evacuating this time if the track shifts back towards us. And we've just GOT to go find a generator somewhere. For 30+ years we were running on the assumption that Orlando was far enough inland that storms would lose most of their "punch" by the time they made it this far inland. Until Charley and Frances that theory seemed to work. Not anymore. Or more accurately even if they lose "most" of their punch, what's left is still too big a punch for comfort. Especially when it continues for close to 48 straight hours.

MJ, I'm glad y'all have pretty much escaped the nastys of it all so far, and at least right now it looks like y'all will miss this one too pretty much, and at least I guess all this down time for Silver service LCT is at least helping y'all get caught up on the PMs and getting some cars fixed up that wouldn't have been otherwise.

But we're really OVER this hurricane stuff. Three of 'em in 4 weeks is a little much. An address is Peoria or Tucson starts sounding pretty good at this point. :( :blink:

We're making up for all the good years we've had in recent memory. We got a scare with Floyd in 99, but we've been pretty lucky here in Florida for the last few years.

Back