Update from my "Save the Sunset" campaign

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Well my promotional bumper stickers finally came in about a week and a half ago, and I was able to drive down to NOL a few days ago to start the process of "spreading the word to the masses", so to speak.

First stop was the Amtrak station, where I had a nice chat with the ticket agents shortly after 58 departed OT for CHI. They appreciated what I was doing. I left 100 stickers with them, and they said they would pass them out to the crew base as well as putting one of them in a ticket jacket when they sell a ticket. I thought that was a very nice gesture. Surely the 100 stickers will run out quickly so I'll probably be back down there in a few weeks to give them some more. Hey, you have to start somewhere. I also gave a bunch of stickers (and route guides) to some of my friends down there who said they would make sure the word will be spread around town.

And then this morning...as I was driving back to ATL...I stopped in Bay St. Louis (the metal Amtrak street sign was still up and showed me the way once I reached the city via Highway 90). The small station shelter was still standing although beat up a little, but the track platform area looked as good as new, and the huge visitor's center right behind it was looking good. I spoke with a nice lady there who said everyone in the town wants to see the train stop there again. I gave them a stack of stickers and they said they would spread the word.

After leaving Bay St. Louis I didn't have time to hit any stops further East since I had to be in ATL by 8:00pm for work. But next time I drive down to NOL to see the family I'll be hitting Atmore, Biloxi, and Gulfport at the very least. Mobile will come at a later date, as will all the other stops between there and JAX.

Hey, you have to start somewhere.
I gave them a stack of stickers and they said they would spread the word.
Fantastic. You might well be doing more than anyone else here for that route. If just a handful of people in each actual station city are convinced to write a letter, or even just lobby their city council to press harder, I suspect that's far more powerful than any individual letter to Congress from Pennsylvania or California or wherever. Good job, and thanks!

(Remind me, are these stickers you created, or is there an organization you're working with?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic. You might well be doing more than anyone else here for that route. If just a handful of people in each actual station city are convinced to write a letter, or even just lobby their city council to press harder, I suspect that's far more powerful than any individual letter to Congress from Pennsylvania or California or wherever. Good job, and thanks!

(Remind me, are these stickers you created, or is there an organization you're working with?)
Hi Wayman, thanks! I appreciate it. I'm just doing what I can.

I actually created the stickers. Both are black, with one saying SAVE THE SUNSET in large white font, with my website address listed underneath in red. The other says RAIL UP! in white font, with both SAVE THE SUNSET and my website address listed below. I think they came out pretty well.

God Luck, If it were running in 10 days I would be on it, Since it is Not I am riding a Acela. Mahalo for your efforts, I have written my Rep in Congress who has said he will support Amtrak. What else can I Do to help?

Aloha

Our senators are split - Democratic is supporting Amtrak, Republican is anti-Amtrak.

Locally, Lafayette, Louisiana, our city-parish president is hot because even though the city rebuilt the burned down Amtrak station several years ago, and the city uses it as a city bus station, Amtrak does not staff it.

Maybe if UP would keep it running on time........

Very sincere effort; perhaps you are the real stimulus to actually "Save" a train. Others have tried and crashed and burned; keep the faith. Amtrak's president still won't reply as to why he made the comment about the Sunset of "they'll get over it." Hopefully, with your efforts he'll get over watching it run again.

Way to go!!!! Action is the word when it comes to things like this. Its not what people say, but its what people do!!!! You are doing and not just sitting around and "saying". Keep the faith!

Al

Hi Wayman, thanks! I appreciate it. I'm just doing what I can.

I actually created the stickers. Both are black, with one saying SAVE THE SUNSET in large white font, with my website address listed underneath in red. The other says RAIL UP! in white font, with both SAVE THE SUNSET and my website address listed below. I think they came out pretty well.
Being from Florida, I'd love to help if I can!

Let me know what I can do!!!!

Do the stickers offer any sort of message on who to contact, what to say, who to write to, etc?
Both stickers have my website name listed on them. On the site, I have listed the web address for people to find their local Senators; Also, I have included the Amtrak corporate office mailing address.

Thanks guys for your support. This is something that I am doing in my spare time and regardless if it's successful or not in the end, I think it's very worthwhile for not only the people living along the Gulf Coast, but for America as a whole.

As for what you can do.... I'm telling my friends and such just to spread the word...take a look at the website (link is in my signature) and tell me if you like what you see...and if you want a few stickers, email me through the website.

Our senators are split - Democratic is supporting Amtrak, Republican is anti-Amtrak.
Locally, Lafayette, Louisiana, our city-parish president is hot because even though the city rebuilt the burned down Amtrak station several years ago, and the city uses it as a city bus station, Amtrak does not staff it.

Maybe if UP would keep it running on time........
IIRC, the station was unstaffed prior to the fire in the late nineties. The urine smell would have run anybody out of there in less than 10 minutes. As far as the UP goes they seem to be behaving themselves with decent OTP even with heat orders all over the system. (I think the double tracking has helped tremendously; now to get the Colton cross-over built.) Was there some kind of agreement to staff the Lafayette station after it was re-built?

NativeSon

From a 2nd hand source quoting a 1 July 2008 UPI article:

"McCain's rail position may soon get more campaign scrutiny as higher gas prices help increase public demand for alternative, public transportation, said the Globe analysis. The House and Senate have passed bills calling for new investments in passenger rail offering 80 cents for every 20 cents spent by the states on infrastructure improvements"

Because the area between NOL and Florida has so many rural areas with smaller radio stations, I would suggest that you send in a well-written announcement to the local stations (and the local weekly newspapers) with information about the 20c/80c on it and encourage folks there to let their representatives know that they want it and/or don't want to permanently lose the Sunset. I worked a gubernatorial campaign in one of the states the Sunset used to traverse and it wasn't unusual to hear that folksy tone in these announcers voices as they would say, "John Candidate" is having a BBQ this weekend. The price is $x and it would be sure good if you'd come out and support him." These spots were free and useful to get the information out. In larger cities, we might plug someone into a call with Sean Hannity or other personalities or issue press releases, which is entirely different. It's hard to understand the significance of this until you read some of these local newspapers and realize that a dog loose or a stray garbage can makes the news. By comparison, the loss of the Sunset is noteworthy. Worth saying, don't bring the Presidential candidates into the situation unless you have to.

Jody

NativeSon-

Have you gotten in touch with the folks over at NARP lately? I hear that the Sunset Limited is one of their top priorities right now too. Good luck on hte Save the Sunset campaign. I'll look for your stickers in NOL when I arrive on #2 on Sept. 19.

-F59PHI450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back