Upgrade from roomette to bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan9

Train Attendant
Has anyone successfully upgraded from a roomette to a bedroom? My wife and I are booked in a crew car roomette on the California Zephyr this summer (August). Since the crew car will be positioned at the front of the train, I surmise, there's likely to be a lot of engine noise - not something that would bother me -- quite the opposite! -- but I'm concerned that my wife won't enjoy it quite so much.

There's at least one bedroom still available, and it's likely to stay that way considering that it seems to be priced at the highest bucket (more than $1,000 for Chicago-Grand Junction).

Has anyone successfully upgraded from a roomette to a bedroom? If so, how much did you pay - i.e., was it a low bucket price? Thanks, Bryan (Charlottesville, VA)

Bryan,

I wouldn't bet on that bedroom going unsold, if Amtrak followed normal pricing practices, then they've already sold two other bedrooms at that same price.

However, if it does remain unsold, then yes you should be able to upgrade to it. You will be charged the difference between what you paid for your roomette and the lowest bucket price for a bedroom. You may even find out that you've paid more for your roomette than that low bucket price, in which case you'd get a free upgrade just for asking about it. :)

I've never personally tried to do an upgrade like that, but I have seen stories of many successful upgrades like that.

I agree with Alan and would bet that the bedroom is booked by departure time.
Please excuse my ignorance but I wasn't aware that such a thing as a 'roomette' in a crew car was even available for the traveling public. How does one request such an accomodation in a crew car?

I agree with Alan and would bet that the bedroom is booked by departure time.
Please excuse my ignorance but I wasn't aware that such a thing as a 'roomette' in a crew car was even available for the traveling public. How does one request such an accomodation in a crew car?
Well first you have to start by picking the correct train, as not all trains do sell rooms to the passengers. On the single level trains, rooms were never sold in the dorm car and now almost all if not all have been retired.

On the double decker trains, many of the routes, but not all sell rooms in the dorm car. If you want a room in the Dorm, then you would either have to call an agent or visit a station in order to request that. Booking on line will be potluck as to whether you'd get a dorm room or a regular room. If memory serves, you'll know that you're in the dorm is your roomette number is 16 or higher.

Has anyone successfully upgraded from a roomette to a bedroom? My wife and I are booked in a crew car roomette on the California Zephyr this summer (August). Since the crew car will be positioned at the front of the train, I surmise, there's likely to be a lot of engine noise - not something that would bother me -- quite the opposite! -- but I'm concerned that my wife won't enjoy it quite so much.
There's at least one bedroom still available, and it's likely to stay that way considering that it seems to be priced at the highest bucket (more than $1,000 for Chicago-Grand Junction).

Has anyone successfully upgraded from a roomette to a bedroom? If so, how much did you pay - i.e., was it a low bucket price? Thanks, Bryan (Charlottesville, VA)

We just returned from our 30+ hour trips on both the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star in a bedroom. Unless the trains on the west coast are better that the ones on the east, Don't Waste your money. See if you can get 2 roomettes for less money than the bedroom.

I'm not going to go into the poor conditions of the bedrooms, just to say that the room is cramped in the daytime and that there is absolutely no room once the beds are turned down. The lower bed butts up against the sink. Also, there was no armchair as stated on their website.

We've made this trip in the past in a roomette and this time decided to spend the extra money to "upgrade" to the bedroom for the "extra room". It didn't work out for us, and we won't do it again. Next time, 2 roomettes. Sorry, but this is just our opinion.

P.S. Bring a portable DVD player and some long movies, helps to pass the time.

I'm not going to go into the poor conditions of the bedrooms, just to say that the room is cramped in the daytime and that there is absolutely no room once the beds are turned down. The lower bed butts up against the sink. Also, there was no armchair as stated on their website.
We've made this trip in the past in a roomette and this time decided to spend the extra money to "upgrade" to the bedroom for the "extra room". It didn't work out for us, and we won't do it again. Next time, 2 roomettes. Sorry, but this is just our opinion.
Somehow, I'm not surprised about your description of Viewliner bedrooms, Lynn. I suspect you thought you were going to ride in a Superliner sleeper, and not a Viewliner. There have been a number of reports of badly maintained sleepers, and not all of this is the maintenance staff's fault. If they don't have the manpower, or cash to buy things that need fixing, the condition of the railroad cars will suffer. Miami Joe hasn't chimed in here lately; perhaps he might be able to update us.

Keep in mind the east coast trains use the single level Viewliner sleepers (with the exception of Auto Train), while the western trains use the hi-level Superliner sleepers.

Somehow, I'm not surprised about your description of Viewliner bedrooms, Lynn. I suspect you thought you were going to ride in a Superliner sleeper, and not a Viewliner. There have been a number of reports of badly maintained sleepers, and not all of this is the maintenance staff's fault. If they don't have the manpower, or cash to buy things that need fixing, the condition of the railroad cars will suffer. Miami Joe hasn't chimed in here lately; perhaps he might be able to update us.

Keep in mind the east coast trains use the single level Viewliner sleepers (with the exception of Auto Train), while the western trains use the hi-level Superliner sleepers.

It's been about 4-5 years since we made this trip. I knew we were in a Viewliner sleeper, but for some reason I thought there was roomier. And no, there was no arm chair.

We'll be doing this trip again in December, and I changed from the bedroom to 2 roomettes.

I remember about 18 years ago, the only accommodations available going from NYP to FBG for a party of 4 was a bedroom. So for something like $59 we upgraded. If I'm not mistaken there were 2 bench seats facing each other. Just before getting off the train, we were each given a basket with a small bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers and nuts, and a folder with Amtrak stationery and a pen. And no. I knew not to expect the same. I also seem to remember that the breakfast was served cafeteria style. I have some great memories of train travel. This was the only Bad trip I've ever taken.

bryan9, if you can't upgrade, about 10 or so days befor departure, keep checking daily for bedroom availability. Prior to our EB Apr trip. The price dropped to a very low price and I was able to upgrade to a bedroom roundtrip. We had tour groups, both ways and I'm guessing the tour Co. s released those rooms to minimize unsold or cancelled ticket losses. Jim

We just returned from our 30+ hour trips on both the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star in a bedroom. Unless the trains on the west coast are better that the ones on the east, Don't Waste your money. See if you can get 2 roomettes for less money than the bedroom.

P.S. Bring a portable DVD player and some long movies, helps to pass the time.
The sleepers on my Zephyr trip in June where in very good conditions

Bedroom

Roomette

the conditions on viewliners I dont know... but you are going anyway on the Zephyr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back