Upgrade to sleeper on USA Rail Pass?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
I am looking to book a trip his summer from PHL to LAX and am considering USA Rail Pass - 3 adults and a 15 yr old. If we buy the four passes - and sleeper accomodations are available on a train we want to catch, is it easy to make the arrangement? I was reading somewhere there are limnited accomodations (sleeper) for rail pass pax. I'm looking for comments on pros and cons of the USA Rail Pass - we would prefer the family bedrooms but of course will deal with two roomettes if all we can get -- but we must be able to get sleeper or we'll just forego the rail pass and get regular tix. thanks.

I am looking to book a trip his summer from PHL to LAX and am considering USA Rail Pass - 3 adults and a 15 yr old. If we buy the four passes - and sleeper accomodations are available on a train we want to catch, is it easy to make the arrangement? I was reading somewhere there are limnited accomodations (sleeper) for rail pass pax. I'm looking for comments on pros and cons of the USA Rail Pass - we would prefer the family bedrooms but of course will deal with two roomettes if all we can get -- but we must be able to get sleeper or we'll just forego the rail pass and get regular tix. thanks.
Technically, "yes" you can upgrade to sleeper, but you have shorter "window" to do so, and therefore may pay higher bucket prices (if they are available at all).

If you want to make SURE to get a sleeper, select your dates, price it out, and make your reservations NOW.

Remember that when you purchase a sleeper, your rail fare for each person drops to the lowest bucket, and if the room occupies TWO people, they both pay the rail fare, but only ONE accommodation fare (sleeper) is paid, so depending upon the dates and availability, the "price-per-person" can be pretty good.

And as the-traveler likes to point out, "MEALS INCLUDED FOR ALL TICKETED PASSENGERS IN THE SLEEPER"!

John,

The rail pass is really geared towards those who will be riding multiple trains within a month and expect to be mainly in coach. Yes, you can book sleepers with a pass but sleepers already get you a low railfare, one of the advantages of the pass.

I'm not sure that you're doing enough riding to make the pass actually pay. You'd need some side trips before you'd start to see any benefit over just doing a normal booking.

If you're traveling with three adults and a teenager, you may find the family bedroom too small. Two of the beds are really only designed to accommodate young children.

You're better off getting two roomettes.

With the rail pass, you do have to pay the accommodation charge, but it does cover your rail fare (which, as many have mentioned, drops to low bucket with the sleeper). Therefore, the pass is a good deal if the low bucket rail fare on your trip is greater than the cost of the pass. You will pay the same accommodation charge either way.

You cannot upgrade to sleeper for free with the pass. I wish you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back