upgrading Regional Business class to Acela on a one zone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gercohen

Train Attendant
I have a one zone AGR redemption trip trip coming up next week DFB-NYP-BOS-Portland ME. We are in a sleeper on 98 DFB-NYP, then business class in a regional NYP-BOS then business class on the Downeaster BON to Portland. Is it possible to upgrade to Acela or Acela First Class on the NYP-BOS leg by paying some differential?

In my experience the answer is, "no".I have tried a few times to do this.Each agent wanted to charge a full Acela redemption in addition to the one zone sleeper redemption. Pleading common sense didn't work in my case.Also, AGR won't let you mix redemption points and cash for a redemption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acelas are not eligible connections from LD trains for any itinerary. You have to pay a full separate Acela fare or AGR points to use Acela.
Actually, if you are a paying customer, amtrak.com will now show connections between certain LD trains and acelas. You can test it out for yourself - try putting in random Florida destinations and departing from BOS. You will see that you are given a choice between taking acela or a regional to NYP.

Acelas are not eligible connections from LD trains for any itinerary. You have to pay a full separate Acela fare or AGR points to use Acela.
Actually, if you are a paying customer, amtrak.com will now show connections between certain LD trains and acelas. You can test it out for yourself - try putting in random Florida destinations and departing from BOS. You will see that you are given a choice between taking acela or a regional to NYP.
Yes but paying the Acela fare for the Acela segment instead of the discounted Regional fare for LD connection.

Yes but paying the Acela fare for the Acela segment instead of the discounted Regional fare for LD connection.
Oh yes, that is true! :) Sorry I didn't understand what you meant. As an example, I just put in a random date in February and its $137 in coach from BOS - DFB, but if you add acela, it goes up to $271.

Back