Upper Level Coach Seat vs Lower Level Coach Seat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the upper level really an issue for those prone to motion sickness? My teenage daughter has difficulty sitting in the far back seat of our minivan, and gets sick on any type of boat. We are doing college visits and I considered a train ride from Pittsburgh to Washington, D>C but all of the lower level seats are sold out. I wonder if I should drive myself?
I cannot sit in the back seat of a vehicle or read (in either the front or rear seat), but I do not experience motion sickness on the train, even when I read. It helps if I have a window seat, as the windows are very wide and you don't get that cramped view you get in a car. I think that's what helps the most.

I've been on a squillion boats in my lifetime, and I can honestly say that the motion of the train is different. It's more of a gentle rocking, whereas a boat tends to roll and gives you that "swooping" stomach like you get on roller coasters.

Perhaps she can take a short train ride to try it out before committing to a longer ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter gets motion sickness in the back seat of the car. We had an upper level roomette and she seemed fine as long as she had the forward facing seat. We had bought some motion sickness meds at CUS between trains, but she never used them.

[SIZE=14pt]I agree with Amamba. Basically, it all comes down to what you are looking for. If you want to look at the scenery and take some photos, go for the upper level. If you want to just take the train to get there and be close to the restrooms, then go for the lower level. In the East we don't have to think about this, as there is just one level.[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back