Urgent help needed today on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgent help needed today on Amtrak

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A serious attack on Amtrak's unionized work force is brewing in the Senate today (July 18) and UTU members can help defeat the attempt by taking to the phones and calling Senate offices.

The vote is scheduled for 4 p.m. today, July 18, and prompt action is needed.

At the request of Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo.), a Senate Appropriations subcommittee on transportation will vote on whether certain "collective bargaining reforms" should be required as a condition to Amtrak being funded.

Those "reforms" would require significantly higher unionized-employee sharing of health care costs near blanket elimination of all work rules, unrestricted contracting out and elimination of all assistant conductors.

To stop this legislation dead in its tracks this afternoon, at least one Republican vote is required to support a motion by Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), to eliminate this language from any Amtrak funding bill.

Here are Republican senators' offices you should call to urge they NOT become involved in Amtrak arms-length negotiations with their employees and support Sen. Murray's amendment to eliminate the Bond language from the Amtrak funding bill.

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) (202) 224-5744

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) (202) 224-4254

Sen. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) (202) 224-5444

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) (202) 224-5922

Sen. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) (202) 224-2315

Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kans.) (202) 224-6521

Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) (202) 224-3004

Sen. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.) (202) 224-6621

Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) (202) 224-2644

July 18, 2006

As has been stated before, some sort of changes are absolutely necessary and the union workers have to do their part. Nothing can remain the same if Amtrak is going to survive.

Amtrak funding vote; BLET members urged to contact Senators

CLEVELAND, July 18 -- The BLET’s National Legislative Office is urging BLET members to contact their Senators immediately and ask them to oppose an anti-labor Amtrak funding provision introduced by Senator Christopher “Kit” Bond (R-MO).

This afternoon, the Senate Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury, the Judiciary and Housing and Urban Development will vote on an Amtrak funding provision with certain conditions being offered by Subcommittee member Senator Bond. Senator Bond wants to require “Collective Bargaining Reforms” as a condition for Amtrak funding.

Senator Bond’s proposed language reads: “Provided further, That notwithstanding any other provision of law, no funds appropriated for the benefit of Amtrak pursuant to this Act may be used for the cost of any collective bargaining agreement unless Amtrak and the organization representing such employees have agreed to collective bargaining agreement provisions no later than October 1, 2007 which require such employees to make reasonable contributions to health benefit costs and permit work rule reforms that achieve measurable operations productivity improvements. Such work rule reforms must, without limitation, include provisions that reduce crew consist requirements, eliminate scope of work and job specification restrictions, increase scheduling flexibility and eliminate restrictions on contracting out of work by Amtrak.”

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) will make a Motion to strike the language.

Senator Murray will hopefully be supported by Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA). The subcommittee has a 10-9 Republican majority, and Senator Specter’s vote is needed in order to oppose Bond’s measure.

BLET and Rail Conference members are urged to call the following Republican members of the Committee and ask them to oppose Senator Bond’s language:

Senator Richard Shelby (AL) (202) 224-5744

Senator Arlen Specter (PA) (202) 224-4254

Senator Robert Bennett (UT) (202) 224-5444

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX) (202) 224-5922

Senator Mike DeWine (OH) (202) 224-2315

Senator Sam Brownback (KS) (202) 224-6521

Senator Ted Stevens (AK) (202) 224-3004

Senator Pete Domenici (NM) (202) 224-6621

Senator Conrad Burns (MT) (202) 224-2644

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

[email protected]

I always find it interesting when "politicians" back provisions that totally take wages and benefits away from people, they always have the letter "R" behind thier "title". When was the last time Democrats or Republicans on Capitol Hill had there benefits/wages diminshed?

saxman66 said:
Any results on this vote? I wish I had read this earlier or I could have called up Sen. Shelby from AL.
Labor ko's Bond; $ voted for Amtrak

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo.) wanted to sell the children to pay the rent, but appalled fellow Republicans on the Senate transportation appropriations subcommittee couldn’t stomach such treatment of loyal Amtrak employees.

So instead of tying Amtrak’s fiscal year 2007 funding to a gutting of Amtrak’s labor contracts, subcommittee Republicans and Democrats voted $1.4 billion for Amtrak without any draconian legislative tinkering with the national passenger railroad’s collective bargaining agreements.

Following union-member telephone calls and e-mails to the subcommittee’s Republicans – many of them from UTU members and retirees -- Republicans agreed to turn their backs on Bond’s unprecedented anti-union legislative language, which would have bypassed the collective bargaining process and arbitrarily eliminated all work rules, all restrictions on contracting out and all Amtrak assistant conductors.

“This was labor solidarity at its best,” said UTU International President Paul Thompson. “All of rail labor was involved in this effort to generate telephone calls and e-mails and knock on Republican doors in the Senate to isolate the anti-union Sen. Bond. Anti-union forces sought to sneak the Bond legislative language into the bill in misguided hopes rail labor would be napping or unable to mobilize quickly enough,” Thompson said. "We were waiting and ready."

It was a sweet ending to a turbulent day. In the end, the Senate subcommittee agreed to boost Amtrak’s fiscal year 2007 funding above the $1.1 billion level previously approved by the entire House of Representatives. The Senate subcommittee decision to fund Amtrak at $1.4 billion next year still must survive a full Senate Appropriations Committee vote and also must go before the full Senate.

However, the House’s decision to fund Amtrak at $1.1 billion next year – a figure Amtrak says would keep the railroad operating – appears to establish a floor. A higher Senate funding bill would result in a House-Senate conference to determine the final figure.

Amtrak’s fiscal 2006 budget, under which it is currently operating, is $1.3 billion. “The Bush administration has sought repeatedly to gut Amtrak’s budget, but cannot find any meaningful support on Capitol Hill,” Thompson said.

July 18, 2006

Yep!! An answer to prayer in this portion at least! :) OBS...

Now let's get legislation enacted, passed, and signed removing the obligations of many of the reforms previously passed. Combine that with more $$$$ and that will be a good start!!! I will keep calling them (politcians)!

It’s interesting that what are considered “draconian” measures by the government and the unions are considered normal change by the larger economy.

Times have changed and things will change even more dramatically in the future. The legacy expenses on pensions and health care in the telecommunication and transportation sectors are killing the employers and removing whatever level of security and stability remained therein. As long as the spending continues, as long as employees are not required to take considerable responsibility for their own heath care and retirement, Amtrak is doomed.

Don't we really need to do massive reforms to health care cost, and NOT simply say that employees need to pay for it? The health care issue is a national disgrace, and tens of thousands are losing health insurance every month across this country because they can no longer afford it. Arguing whether employees or employers need to pay for health insurance at this point is the equivalent of arguing about who should be responsible for rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Out of curiosity, what do the Atmrak union employees pay toward their medical/dental coverages?

As a member of management in my company, I pay over $300 per month for medical and dental coverage for a family of four = almost $4000 per year.

Guest said:
Out of curiosity, what do the Atmrak union employees pay toward their medical/dental coverages?
As a member of management in my company, I pay over $300 per month for medical and dental coverage for a family of four = almost $4000 per year.
On BNSF i pay $150 a month when it use to be free.

Looks like our politicians didn't have the guts to do what was needed to make Amtrak finanically viable so it could grow rather than shrink. Train crews need to be well trained and understand railroading but I would hope they would be open to work rule changes that benefit Amtrak and the employees. To stick your head in the sand means fewer, if any, Amtrak jobs in the future.

However, on board service employees should be paid the same as in the hospitality industry, not railroad, with customer service their primary goal. If work rules and wages were competitive with hospitality workers, Amtrak could provide jobs for more workers, not continually look for ways to reduce postiions. I think passenger service would improve as well. While there are many good employees, too many seem to be doing the minimum requried.

Amtrak should look to service oriented companies like Marriott and Southwest Airlines for the pay and service requirements for on board employees. Not the model that was relevant in the 1950's.

As to health benefits and pensions, the world has changed and employees should pay some of the cost of health care. 'Reform' will only mean we pay the cost through taxes, rather than directly as employees. Again, sticking your head in the sand will only insure further job reductions in the future.

BNSF_1088 said:
Guest said:
There aren't too many non-government organizations left that provide 100% of the cost of medical coverage.

Just out of curiousity, do you know how much of the premium your employer is paying?

AmtrakLoverAndHater said:
Just out of curiousity, do you know how much of the premium your employer is paying?
Aloha

Last year that was the national adverage. I am a labor trustee and at the annual education seminar of the IFEBP. This year, next month I attend the update and if I remember and you want me to I will update you.

For the record our plan is part of our wage package and a family of 3+ cost 900+ per month.

BNSF_1088 said:
Guest said:
There aren't too many non-government organizations left that provide 100% of the cost of medical coverage.

No i dont but this covers me on and off the job.

Also what you have to understand is the RR have to follow all the rules/laws that are in the Fedral Railway Labor Act and what a lot of you want to happen cant happen under the Fedral Railway Labor Act and congress is the one who set this up to prevent strikes and protect employees it works on both ends.

And you can't just change the work rules for Amtrak it would have to be changed for the 75,000 Railroaders in the US and no one wants to do that it is a lot of work.

Railroads are controled in evrey way by our Government including Freight RR's If Amtrak were to be dissmantled it would affect all RR employees.

BNSF_1088 said:
Guest said:

On BNSF for health covrage for 1 year per employee it is over $8,000 a year now with all the extras that the RR has to pay to us it costs around $32,000 a year for evreything this was disscused in a union meeting i was at last week.

So what i am saying is it is around $32,000 a year for each employee this all has to do with what the RR have to provide employees under the Railway Labor Act.

Remember when Hillary Clinton in 1994 talked about a national healthcare plan and everyone thought she was nuts!!! 12 years later, she is sounding like a guru on this subject. "The cost! The cost! The cost!!" Probably about as much as the Iraq war. And I have some of the best healthcare insurance a guy could have but I also know that this one subject is beginning to really be the biggest concern an American should have. <_<

"Should" way past time. Something in my Mind (and you all know how it is :D ) seems that at todays cost Health care is around 35% of Gross National Product, so every Industry, individual must prepare. Every 5 years as a trustee on our Health plan I must take a course called "Who lives, Who Dies" . It doesn't provide answers just things to thing about.

the attack on amtrak labor by those in power is just a symptom of society wide inequality. i'm a critical care rn in a fairly large hospital and pay $600+ a month for medical coverage. the hospital "contribution"(which is just part of my pay they give me as a "benefit") is about $400 a month. when, if ever, we have a society controlled not by the rich for their benefit but when societal choices are based on overall good we will have good and lasting passenger rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back