USA Rail Passes - Open to Americans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTOlson

Lead Service Attendant
I didn't see this posted yet, but I found it very interesting. Here's the relevant blurb from the latest NARP Hotline #554:

Amtrak has removed the purchasing restrictions on its USA Rail Passes. US citizens may now purchase the passes, which were formerly available only to international visitors.
I've never used these passes before. Is this good news for travelers? How much traveling does one need to do to justify either a 15- or 30-day pass? Are there a decent number of Rail Pass seats available or is it like frequent-flyer rewards where there are like two seats on a trip?

If I wanted to go on a grand tour, I would definitely pick one of these instead of the North American Rail Pass. No offense to Canada, but I don't necessarily want to pencil in a trip to the Great White North (and pay for a new passport) just to validate my train ride.

I seem to recall that these passes have been open to Americans before. Is this a limited time only deal?

Anyway, I eagerly await your input.

One bad thing I've heard about these passes is that they can be used ONLY on trains that have seats available in the LOWEST FARE BUCKET! (Just try to find a train selling at the lowest bucket near a holiday! :rolleyes: ) If the train does not have any low bucket seats available, you have a choice of either going on another day or at another time OR buy a ticket for that train at the current price AND NOT USE THE PASS!

I just completed a 12, 500 mile rail pass tour myself, (off peak) yet I still had to pay extra for some seats. broadly speaking, the rail pass will pay for the "lowest bucket price" part of the fare, and you will be asked to pay just the extra, up to the cheapest seat available on that train. I did find Amtrak staff were pretty poor at issuing the tickets, even at L.A. Union station some seemed stunned by my request for a railpass ticket.. I was able to help one guy who spent ages tapping into his computer and then said " sorry, it's all full booked already!!!!" I knew it wasn't, and insisted he call a supervisor. Two more minutes and I had my tickets in my hand. DOH!

Ed B)

Maybe the complaints we forwarded did some good. I know I had sent more than one telling them they were alienating (sorry for the pun) foreign visitors who bought the pass and then couldn't book seats and had to get an airline ticket, or rent a car, to fill gaps in their trip caused by "sorry, no seats available on the pass", and that they ought, at the very least, to allow use of the pass with payment of bucket differential to the current lowest available bucket, if they insisted on milking the tourists anyway by offering a "Pass" that really WASN'T a "Pass" unless there were lowest-bucket priced seats available. And, of course, the biggie for us in the U.S., to let us buy and use the ******* pass. Canada is a nice place, and I've been there, but I live in Florida and it's too cold wayyyyy up north there. It took awhile, but I guess they did listen, and, more encouraging, are capable of changing things for the better.

So sorry if I haven't been following this too closely, but by opening up the formerly-foreign-only pass to Americans, did they do away with the North American Rail Pass (the one that includes Canada) or is that still for sale to U.S./Canada residents?

So sorry if I haven't been following this too closely, but by opening up the formerly-foreign-only pass to Americans, did they do away with the North American Rail Pass (the one that includes Canada) or is that still for sale to U.S./Canada residents?
I don't know for sure, but I would say yes. It's still listed on the website.

I don't know for sure, but I would say yes. It's still listed on the website.
I'm not sure what the status might be on Amtrak's site, but the North American Rail Pass is history. They will only sell the USA pass now, rather than two different types of passes.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to someday taking a month off of work (or quitting and doing it) and riding Amtrak's entire system and as much of the Canadian one, too.

I get the impression the NARP (the pass, not the organization) had fewer restrictions (like not having the low-bucket-only restriction)--and plus, it included Canada, too.

I'm disappointed in this change.

I'm not sure what the status might be on Amtrak's site, but the North American Rail Pass is history. They will only sell the USA pass now, rather than two different types of passes.
Are you sure? Amtrak.com still lists the NA Rail Pass along with current peak (5/23/08 to 10/15/08) and off peak (10/16/08 to 5/21/09) pricing periods. It sure looks like it is still open for purchase. Also, the USA Rail Pass info has been updated eliminating the foreign visitor only restriction. I would think that they would have taken down the NA Rail Pass page when they updated the USA pass page if one was intended to replace the other.

I get the impression the NARP (the pass, not the organization) had fewer restrictions (like not having the low-bucket-only restriction)--and plus, it included Canada, too.
I'm disappointed in this change.
I guess I can be disappointed that the National USA Rail Pass doesn't include Canada, but it doesn't force you to go to Canada either.

Additionally, the USA Rail Pass appears to be dramatically cheaper than the N. American Rail Pass. The USA Rail Pass is $240 cheaper than the N. American during off-peak and $400 cheaper during peak.

At the same time, based on what I'm reading here, you get what you pay for. If only the lowest-bucket tickets are available under the USA Rail Pass, this service would probably be best for those who plan travel far in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back