Using the lift

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
How does it work? I am taking Cascades from SLM to PDX weekly. I took my first trip today. I can get on/off in SLM without assistance but I cannot safely take the extra step on/off at PDX. Who do I tell I need the lift? What type of lift is it? The first time I ever requested the lift elsewhere I was instead given a pep talk about how I could do it.

Either your car's attendant or any conductor can relay the message en route so that the lift will be waiting on the platform when the train arrives. There might be a slight delay, but nothing to worry about. It's always a long stop, so just wait at the door and they will take care of you.

Talgo train sets don't need mobile lifts they have built in lifts. You need to make sure you board the car closest to the Cafe (excuse me) bristro and sit in the ADA Coach which is the one with 2 by 1, not 2 by 2 seats.

I took the Cascades from Eugene to Portland and all I had to do was ask the conductor when he came to scan my ticket that I needed the lift. He said he would take care of it for me but would not be able to open it until other passengers are off. He also called and had the red cap right there for me when I was able to get off. The lift is very safe, you have rails to hold on to as they lower you out. As others have said, make sure you request the handicapped car when you get the assistance getting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back