VACATION Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
I'm planing my trip across country on Oct 19,taking SWC-LA then CS to Jack London Amtrak station in Oakland.I'm arriving on Oct 22 and stay in until Oct 24 I would like to go the Sacramento train museum on the 23 Has a body been there before if so is it nice.Also are there taxi at Jack London station my train. Comes in around 9:30pm.I see that I can take the capitol corridor to Sacramento is that right and any other useful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Greg

The California State Rail Museum (CSRM) is basically next to the SAC station. (Actually it's on the other side of I-5, but there is an underpass and it's within easy walking distance.) Many (myself included) consider it to be the best rail museum in the country and a must see! And yes, the Capitol Corridor trains go right from OKJ to SAC.

I'm not certain about the taxi situation, so I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable of the area.

:hi: Nice trip! As Dave said the Museum is Great, you need to allow Several Hours to see everything and remember it closes @ 5PM!! And Old Sacramento is right beside the museum along the River with Resturants, Clubs etc. Nice place to stroll and grab a Bite to Eat! Jack London Square is a Tourist Area with Clubs, Restaurants etc., there should be Taxis available when you arrive! Also the Trains do Street Running through Traffic in Jack London Square which is Rare now a days!! You didn't say where you are staying but I wouldn't Walk @ Night around Oakland! I would guess that you want to visit in "The City" across the Bay, riding the Ferry to/from Oakland is a Great way to Travel, you can also ride BART but the Ferry is much more fun! You're gonna Love it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As Dave and Jim have mentioned, the California RR Museum is a must see for anyone who loves train and railroad history. We usually stay in Sacramento and take the Capitol Corridor trains back and forth to Emeryville/San Francisco. They are very nice trains with plenty of room. There are several trains running at varied times throughout the day, but yes you want to get the museum in time to see everything before 5pm. When you get to Sacramento you just walk under I-5 and you are near all the things Jim mentioned and the railroad museum is on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back