vacation train ride must include ride on talgo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I dare somebody to try it because frankly, Alan, I don't believe it-- I have called up that exact same booking myself. But I have never been able to get a Silver/Cascades combo WITHOUT using multi-city.
The fact that you can't get it to show you a Silver doesn't mean that it can't be done. Which part of "Amtrak.com doesn't show every routing that ARROW has" didn't you understand? Amtrak.com shows you the first page of routings that ARROW provides. ARROW however could have 3 or 4 more pages of routings that Amtrak.com will not show you. But any agent can see those routings and book you one of those unseen routings. What you can see via Amtrak.com is irrelevant. It's what the agent can see and what falls within AGR rules that counts.

If you look at my screen shot, note that the next train combo does start with the Silver Meteor. I will grant you that combo took one to the Lake Shore and then train #28 direct to Portland. But what we are discussing can be done! And just for the record, many of the trips that you can plot out using the multi-city function are still valid AGR trips. Not all are which is why most people advise only using the normal search function when trying to work out what AGR might allow. But again many trip routings that one can bring up via the multi-city search are still valid AGR trips.

Finally, what qualifies for an award in one direction qualifies in the reverse direction, assuming that the trains still connect in reverse. Since I can book this:

pdx-rvr.jpg

I can then book the opposite, Richmond on a Silver to DC, Capitol to Chicago, Builder to Seattle, Talgo to Portland.

End of discussion!

Alan, all I am saying is "I don't believe you when you say you could book that as an AGR reward". Leave it at that. Until I can book a three-zone reward, I guess we'll have to let it go because I don't think an AGR agent will allow RVR-PDX using the Silver service and Cascades

Yes, I can see the converse is true, but that isn't the issue.

Alan, all I am saying is "I don't believe you when you say you could book that as an AGR reward". Leave it at that. Until I can book a three-zone reward, I guess we'll have to let it go because I don't think an AGR agent will allow RVR-PDX using the Silver service and Cascades
Well then you are thinking wrong. I have no reason to lie to you and I have been doing this far longer than you have. And again, the rule is if Amtrak considers it to be a guaranteed connection, then as long as you're not reversing direction in your trip it should be bookable as an award.

Well then you are thinking wrong. I have no reason to lie to you and I have been doing this far longer than you have. And again, the rule is if Amtrak considers it to be a guaranteed connection, then as long as you're not reversing direction in your trip it should be bookable as an award.
I'm not saying you're lying so you can calm down, I think you may be mistaken, you're only human, I'm only human. I have my opinion-- that's all it is Alan, opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying you're lying so you can calm down, I think you may be mistaken, you're only human, I'm only human. I have my opinion-- that's all it is Alan, opinion!
Fellas let's take a breath here. Remember I was trying to take a two zone award and I wanted to ride on a talgo. You have provided me with a wealth of information. Perhaps we can meet in chi and have a few beers. Or better yet we could have a few beers on the CL together. How about it ;) .

Then I dare somebody to try it because frankly, Alan, I don't believe it-- I have called up that exact same booking myself. But I have never been able to get a Silver/Cascades combo WITHOUT using multi-city.
The fact that you can't get it to show you a Silver doesn't mean that it can't be done. Which part of "Amtrak.com doesn't show every routing that ARROW has" didn't you understand? Amtrak.com shows you the first page of routings that ARROW provides. ARROW however could have 3 or 4 more pages of routings that Amtrak.com will not show you. But any agent can see those routings and book you one of those unseen routings. What you can see via Amtrak.com is irrelevant. It's what the agent can see and what falls within AGR rules that counts.

If you look at my screen shot, note that the next train combo does start with the Silver Meteor. I will grant you that combo took one to the Lake Shore and then train #28 direct to Portland. But what we are discussing can be done! And just for the record, many of the trips that you can plot out using the multi-city function are still valid AGR trips. Not all are which is why most people advise only using the normal search function when trying to work out what AGR might allow. But again many trip routings that one can bring up via the multi-city search are still valid AGR trips.

Finally, what qualifies for an award in one direction qualifies in the reverse direction, assuming that the trains still connect in reverse. Since I can book this:

pdx-rvr.jpg

I can then book the opposite, Richmond on a Silver to DC, Capitol to Chicago, Builder to Seattle, Talgo to Portland.

End of discussion!
We have silver service but we have more regional services to was or to rvr. Silver comes thru at 5:00 am but I can get regional at a more convient hour for my dad to take me to the train station.

Fellas let's take a breath here. Remember I was trying to take a two zone award and I wanted to ride on a talgo. You have provided me with a wealth of information. Perhaps we can meet in chi and have a few beers. Or better yet we could have a few beers on the CL together. How about it ;) .
You really want to open that can of worms? :p

Ok maybe more than a few beers :blink: . Hey it worked for the President but I don't have all that security and no cameras. We can toss back a few and tell stories about how we got great deals for riding the train. Hey if it were not for you guy I would not have had the really great :) vacation I had this pass may and it was GRRRRREEAT :cool:

Ok maybe more than a few beers :blink: . Hey it worked for the President but I don't have all that security and no cameras. We can toss back a few and tell stories about how we got great deals for riding the train. Hey if it were not for you guy I would not have had the really great :) vacation I had this pass may and it was GRRRRREEAT :cool:
Not only do we disagree about what brew is best... we also disagree about who at the table should be permitted the right of consumption.

Not only do we disagree about what brew is best... we also disagree about who at the table should be permitted the right of consumption.
Hey Alan do you remember telling me how to use the atlanta loophole to get home? Hey it was great to have the sleeper all the way home and not have to get up in the middle of the night to go to coach ;) .

Hey Alan do you remember telling me how to use the atlanta loophole to get home? Hey it was great to have the sleeper all the way home and not have to get up in the middle of the night to go to coach ;) .
Can't say as I recall that. But that's not surprising considering how many posts I write.

when I took my trip this spring I rode a talgo. I went from SEA to PDX on the Cascades and then took the EB to CHI. Rather than just taking the EB from SEA. Going there I took the CZ (by far my favorite route. I dreamed of riding this when I was a kid. My grandmother nd mother both had ridden this route in their days. My mother was able to be around for my trip on the CZ and I was able to share my excitment with her. Three days later she passed away ) From SAC I took the CS

I'm trying to plan my May vacation for 2010 saw the talgo and want to include a ride on it as part of my train ride around the country. I will be using my points so I can have a sleeper where possible. Any ideas with my start from rvr. :)
You may want to start out somewhere else because you can only get to the Talgos by going to the Pacific Northwest which means a three-zone reward no matter how you work it...

Or else reconsider your choice to just want to ride the Talgos because you're spending a massive amount of points to ride a train with relatively cheap tickets.

I would at least start your reward in a city in the midwestern zone..
is it possible to take a two zone reward using the atlanta loophole to sea but be routed through lax to ride the CS to sea?

I'm trying to plan my May vacation for 2010 saw the talgo and want to include a ride on it as part of my train ride around the country. I will be using my points so I can have a sleeper where possible. Any ideas with my start from rvr. :)
You may want to start out somewhere else because you can only get to the Talgos by going to the Pacific Northwest which means a three-zone reward no matter how you work it...

Or else reconsider your choice to just want to ride the Talgos because you're spending a massive amount of points to ride a train with relatively cheap tickets.

I would at least start your reward in a city in the midwestern zone..
is it possible to take a two zone reward using the atlanta loophole to sea but be routed through lax to ride the CS to sea?
after talking with agr the anwser is no they will charge me :angry: an extra 15000 points if I want to ride the CS from Lax to sea. She called it a customized trip. Well you can't win them all. :)

after talking with agr the anwser is no they will charge me :angry: an extra 15000 points if I want to ride the CS from Lax to sea. She called it a customized trip. Well you can't win them all. :)
That's why I suggested to start the reward in CHI. I did last year - because I could not get the LAX routing if I started from TOL, but I could if I started the award in CHI. To me, it was worth the few extra bucks! :D

That's why I suggested to start the reward in CHI. I did last year - because I could not get the LAX routing if I started from TOL, but I could if I started the award in CHI. To me, it was worth the few extra bucks! :D
Thanks ;) you are so right :) . I tried just as you said and bam there it was :) . I was trying to get the most for my points by trying to book from cin. Thanks again!

I'm looking at the same thing for my honeymoon trip, and the price difference on the Cardinal to pay for CIN - CHI is MUCH greater than paying for TOL - CHI on the CL. (On the order of $100 on the CL vice $400 on the Cardinal).

That said, the extra money to get the SWC/CS routing is likely worth it - I'm going from WAS to PDX, so I'll be starting my reward travel in CIN. (I tried to call and book last week, but they told me that I had to wait until I was 6 months out :( )

That said, the extra money to get the SWC/CS routing is likely worth it - I'm going from WAS to PDX, so I'll be starting my reward travel in CIN. (I tried to call and book last week, but they told me that I had to wait until I was 6 months out :( )
That's new. Every AGR reward I've booked has been more than 6 months out. For some reason the confirmation e-mail can't give a date more than 6 months out, but that's unimportant because you should always call a regular Amtrak operator and get a full e-mail itinerary.

Interesting - I hadn't heard that here, but figured that it never came up. I reserved one of the two available bedrooms on the Cardinal to hold the room open until the end of October (fortunately I had the money available to lock it away for the next 3 months.

I'm going to try and call again and see what I can get.

(sorry for the derail)

You're right! CSR roulette for the win. :D Thanks!

I'm looking at the same thing for my honeymoon trip, and the price difference on the Cardinal to pay for CIN - CHI is MUCH greater than paying for TOL - CHI on the CL. (On the order of $100 on the CL vice $400 on the Cardinal).
what I found out was $83 each for coach on the cardinal to chi and then I would begin my two zone reward in chi on the swc/cs this way I will have a roomette for several days of riding the rails :cool: . Plus I would use a two zone reward on the atlanta loophole to get home. Not bad for an old guy ;) . Thanks everyone for all your help. :)

Awesome!

Being the honeymoon, we're going bedrooms all the way, so that explains the cost difference - doing it that way and going coach for that leg makes perfect sense. Have fun on your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back