Vegas X Train in talks to use UP track

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article says they are going to pay UP a premium to get priority on the tracks from LA to Vegas. 5.5 hour trip, lounge car has a sports bar, $99 roundtrip.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/apr/1...t-rails-sooner/

I remember reading something about this, Thanx! I would love it if they returned train service to Vegas, and I'm sure alot of people here would too. Any idea when this might happen, or what kind of consist it might be?

I remember reading something about this, Thanx! I would love it if they returned train service to Vegas, and I'm sure alot of people here would too. Any idea when this might happen, or what kind of consist it might be?
Article states they are shooting for mid 2011 start date.

And says they're looking at bi-level commuter cars.

And says they're looking at bi-level commuter cars.
Probably former Metra gallery cars, with new long distance seating. The cars are available, easy to renovate and have plenty of life left. Considering that some of the original C&NW were built with long distance seating and dining facilities, it isn't much of stretch renovate former commuter gallery cars into equipment suitable for a comfortable L.A. to Vegas run.

Probably former Metra gallery cars, with new long distance seating. The cars are available, easy to renovate and have plenty of life left. Considering that some of the original C&NW were built with long distance seating and dining facilities, it isn't much of stretch renovate former commuter gallery cars into equipment suitable for a comfortable L.A. to Vegas run.
Would be interesting to see how they manage to put in long distance reclining seats in the upper levels of the gallery cars. :)

Would be interesting to see how they manage to put in long distance reclining seats in the upper levels of the gallery cars. :)
As Marion Morrison said, a number of C&NW bilevels were built for intercity service from Chicago to points in Wisconsin. The cars were identical to the Chicago area commuter cars on the outside, but had long distance coach seats on the interior. I rode in this cars once and as I recall there were reclining long distance type seats on the upper level, so it's not impossible. There were some lounge cars as part of the order. Dining cars were operated on some of the trains, but these were existing dinner cars with false tops to match the height of the other cars!!! Passageway between cars on Chicago area bilevels is on the lower level, not upstairs like the Superliners, so conventional single level equipment could also be used on the trains.

There are a number of the old C&NW cars at various locations in the midwest (there were quite a few at the old EJ&E yard in Joliet, IL., although I'm not sure if they are still there), so the equipment is available and could probably be rehabbed.

It will be interesting to see if this outfit can pull this off. It certainly serves a market that needs trains.

It will be interesting to see if this outfit can pull this off. It certainly serves a market that needs trains.
it's one of the more sensible options I've seen; rather than the time (and cost) of building magleg or a HSR route - use the track that's already there.

Trivia question... I wonder how this will look to the folks at Amtrak headquarters who keep saying they don't want to add any services (unless they get massive payments from states)? If a for-profit organization can run passenger trains on freight rail, make money, not require subsidies, etc, then that tends to make Amtrak senior management look kind of stupid, doesn't it? Not that I'm complaining about that, the management seems to be militant about avoiding new routes right now, but maybe having a private operator in the mix could shake things up a bit and perhaps encourage some competition for state-sponsored rail services that will reduce costs and enlarge the rail network.

Trivia question... I wonder how this will look to the folks at Amtrak headquarters who keep saying they don't want to add any services (unless they get massive payments from states)? If a for-profit organization can run passenger trains on freight rail, make money, not require subsidies, etc, then that tends to make Amtrak senior management look kind of stupid, doesn't it? Not that I'm complaining about that, the management seems to be militant about avoiding new routes right now, but maybe having a private operator in the mix could shake things up a bit and perhaps encourage some competition for state-sponsored rail services that will reduce costs and enlarge the rail network.
You know you may have just hit on something big! If Congress sees this making money they're sure to start asking questions of Amtrak what they have been doing with almost 40 years of subsidies. Might be some people squirming in 60 Massachusetts Ave. before its over :unsure:

You know you may have just hit on something big! If Congress sees this making money they're sure to start asking questions of Amtrak what they have been doing with almost 40 years of subsidies. Might be some people squirming in 60 Massachusetts Ave. before its over :unsure:
Of course, they haven't done it yet and whether it makes a profit or not hasn't been determined. Remember the American Orient Express. It ran some fine trains, but it's gone. The Las Vegas monorail is a private enterprise that's not making any money. And, of course, we don't know if Union Pacific will go along with this, even at a "premium" price. The states have the option to find other operators, such as Herzog or Connex, but the freight railroads seem reluctant to deal with anybody other than Amtrak.

AOE though wasn't a service train, it was a luxury land-cruise designed as much for the journey as getting from A to B. The Vegas Monorail doesn't serve the strip, it serves one block east of the strip.

But it seems that if this new train can get going and be successful, then rail service might be about to go the way of spaceflight: government pushing it into the private sector.

I'm thinking less about the "subsidies blowback" than I am that they've done three route studies (Hiawatha, Pioneer, and Northern Flyer) which are spectacularly expensive to start operations. If a private operator could start a service like this on a route Amtrak abandoned for poor results, and make money, it could create an inducement for states to go outside of Amtrak for services, limiting Amtrak to what they have already. I think that'd be a disaster, in that it'd undercut 48-state support for Amtrak capital and operating subsidies (or 46 - aren't there two states in the Continental US w/o service too?), and possibly cause loss of some state operated routes to other companies, further undermining fixed cost coverage.

Now granted, there's probably more demand to Las Vegas than to Minot but one of the favorite canards of fiscal conservatives is that Amtrak isn't cost efficient (although we on this board know that isn't true).

AOE though wasn't a service train, it was a luxury land-cruise designed as much for the journey as getting from A to B. The Vegas Monorail doesn't serve the strip, it serves one block east of the strip.But it seems that if this new train can get going and be successful, then rail service might be about to go the way of spaceflight: government pushing it into the private sector.
The point I was making is that private firms have operated trains and rapid transit in recent years, but so far nobody's made a profit at it. If the Las Vegas outfit can do it, then good for them. If they undermine support for Amtrak and high speed rail, then it won't be so good.

it's one of the more sensible options I've seen; rather than the time (and cost) of building magleg or a HSR route - use the track that's already there.
If they start in 2011, they will have about a two years span to make it. The Desertxpress private HSR due to start construction in 2-3 months will be running in 2013. That might provide interesting competition, especially if they stop at Victorville. If that happens, most likely people will bail at Victorville and hop the Desertxpress from there. I'd bet that that they will not stop at Victorville just because that would happen.

BINGO! on both accounts

BINGO! on both accounts
And some really big IFs. IF they can get the agreements with UP to run at a reasonable price and all the other things they need (expensive liability insurance, etc), and IF they can make money at it after all that. I'll wait and see before expecting any storms on Capitol Hill.

As discussed on other boards, this looks more like a penny stock pump and dump scheme than anything else, but if they actually get it running, more power to them. But I'm not holding my breath.

It's one of the more sensible options I've seen; rather than the time (and cost) of building magleg or a HSR route - use the track that's already there.
If they start in 2011, they will have about a two years span to make it. The Desertxpress private HSR due to start construction in 2-3 months will be running in 2013. That might provide interesting competition, especially if they stop at Victorville. If that happens, most likely people will bail at Victorville and hop the Desertxpress from there. I'd bet that that they will not stop at Victorville just because that would happen.
And if you believe DesertExpress can start construction in 2 to3 months, and even if they manage that, you also beleive they will be running in 2013 - that is less than 4 years even if the date is Dec 31 - then you are a prime candidate as an investor in a factory that will manufacture perpetual motion machines.

Likewise, there is about the same chance of the run on UP scheme working out a reasonalbe cost deal with UP that will allow for decent run times.

This stuff is all promoter puffery folks, with no chance whatsoever of becoming reality.

Strasburg Rail Road is probably the only line in this country that has consistently made a profit. They charge about $12 to let you ride on their train a distance of 4.3 miles or $2.80 a mile, while having many of their "employees" operating voluntarily. If X-train wants to charge, ahem, $948.83, or about ten times what they are talking about, they'd be operating at a profit if they attracted a sizable number of customers. Which they wouldn't.

Seriously, though, $99? ACES was intended to lose money (a similar train, conceptually) charging $50 for a trip about a third the length. I think they'd have broken even at $100, if they could get sufficient ridership. So this place would have to charge 3 times what they are talking about to make money.

Amtrak Thruway charges $50 for this service, and gets you there in similar time. They're dreaming if they think they can make money. But let them dream. If they start running it, let us ride their dream until it dies.

Strasburg Rail Road is probably the only line in this country that has consistently made a profit. They charge about $12 to let you ride on their train a distance of 4.3 miles or $2.80 a mile, while having many of their "employees" operating voluntarily. If X-train wants to charge, ahem, $948.83, or about ten times what they are talking about, they'd be operating at a profit if they attracted a sizable number of customers. Which they wouldn't.
Seriously, though, $99? ACES was intended to lose money (a similar train, conceptually) charging $50 for a trip about a third the length. I think they'd have broken even at $100, if they could get sufficient ridership. So this place would have to charge 3 times what they are talking about to make money.

Amtrak Thruway charges $50 for this service, and gets you there in similar time. They're dreaming if they think they can make money. But let them dream. If they start running it, let us ride their dream until it dies.
I am not a big fan of the Amtrak Thruway from Bakersfield but it is the only same day option to connect with the CS and San Joaquins. I am surprised at how few passengers the Thruway carries. It has to be subsidized by the San Joaquins. Taking the Thruway again to Vegas next month but as previously mentioned, I am taking the LuxBus to LA, overnighting, and catching the CS north.

There are certainly tourist railroads that make a profit, or at least enough to keep operating. The Grand Canyon RR station in Williams has around 230,000 boardings per year, vastly more than any of Amtrak's stations. You just need an operation where passengers are happy going 63 miles at 28mph for $35 (and up).

I am not a big fan of the Amtrak Thruway from Bakersfield but it is the only same day option to connect with the CS and San Joaquins. I am surprised at how few passengers the Thruway carries. It has to be subsidized by the San Joaquins. Taking the Thruway again to Vegas next month but as previously mentioned, I am taking the LuxBus to LA, overnighting, and catching the CS north.
It's got a good load on Thruway between LA areas and Bakersfield, esp. on the weekends. One time, it took 3 bus from LAUS to Bakersfield.

There are certainly tourist railroads that make a profit, or at least enough to keep operating. The Grand Canyon RR station in Williams has around 230,000 boardings per year, vastly more than any of Amtrak's stations. You just need an operation where passengers are happy going 63 miles at 28mph for $35 (and up).
They generally make a profit, but not consistently, at least under its previous owners. It generally goes one way or the other from breaking even by a $50,000 either way. Its probably a tax-write off for its owners.

But even so, they charge between $35 and $95 for a 63 mile trip. The profit is in the higher class cars. X-Train is talking about $99 for 340 miles, half the price per mile, and they need to pay for trackage rights. I wish them luck. They are going to need it.

Can you say Trancisco's "Sierra 39 Express"? How about "Florida Fun Train"? The costs are just too damn high, both capital and recurring. OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions, Alaska RR, and the Cruise Trains that run on their track come to mind. Reno Fun Train also seems to work, but they are not truly "transportation" in the strictest sense of the word.

The main appeal may be the train, and getting "there" may be the end result. But the attraction is usually something in ADDITION to the train.

There are numerous Dinner Train, and several Tourist Train operators who have been profitable for years, and most likely will continue to do so. But they don't sell "transportation" they sell the experience.

While X train to Vegas may try to do the same thing, (And I too wish them luck) that is selling the "experience", passengers also want to GET to Vegas, THAT is the end game. If they can find a way to do it that is: Comfortable, Price-and-Time Competitive With The Family Car, and Entertaining Along The Way, then they may have a chance.

Working with UP, I have no idea how they could possibly pull this off. Even IF they did, and it was so profitable that they added a second, and third departure, in no way can you compare or equate them to "mistakes in Amtrak management" for not adding back the Desert Wind. (They should) Amtrak, as has been said by some smarter OP here, is designed to be the "plain vanilla" choice. Basic transportation.

If some firm wants to tag on three or four cars behind the newly re-instituted Desert Wind, (hoping here) and lavish the guests on board these special cars with sports bars, great food, dancing, and all that, then fine. Those who want to pay a premium for that service will do so, and if enuff people ride, then they profit.

The Reno Fun Train is one example of this working. But again, is it really "transportation". (of course it "is", but is that what they are "Selling"?)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see competition for my rail-travel dollar. Open up the rails to Virgin, and others.... Oh wait, I forgot, we have this thing here in the US of A called "private ownership", and them freight railroads have to make money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back