Veggie Burger Ingredients??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I just read an interesting trip report by an AU member who enjoyed a vegie burger on the CS, and it made me hungry for a veggie burger. When I was younger and did not have food allergies, I really liked veggie burgers, but have been afraid to order them on Amtrak now that I am allergic to garlic. Does anyone knows if garlic is one of the ingredients in the Amtrak veggie burger, or if anyone knows what brand of veggie burger Amtrak serves. Any suggestions of how to find out?

Thanks.

I just read an interesting trip report by an AU member who enjoyed a vegie burger on the CS, and it made me hungry for a veggie burger. When I was younger and did not have food allergies, I really liked veggie burgers, but have been afraid to order them on Amtrak now that I am allergic to garlic. Does anyone knows if garlic is one of the ingredients in the Amtrak veggie burger, or if anyone knows what brand of veggie burger Amtrak serves. Any suggestions of how to find out?
They're promoted as Amy's organic veggie burgers.
Amy's has all the ingredients listed on their web site. Garlic is one of the ingredients, I'm afraid. Although I'm not a vegetarian, I do think they're tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it looks like they all have soy in them. :(

Real burgers own the veggie ones any day of the week.
Freshly cooked and hot off the grill I'm inclined to agree, but we know that's not how burgers are served in Amtrak dining cars ANY day of the week. I love a great meatburger as much as the next guy (assuming the next guy isn't a Vegan), but unless and until a truly good Amburger becomes available, veggie is the superior offering.

I wanted to add that you can give advanced notice and get special menu's.

Special menu selections, including kosher, vegan, and vegetarian are available on most trains with 72-hour advanced notice. 24-hour advanced notice is required for Acela Express First Class service.
To reserve your meal, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)

Real burgers own the veggie ones any day of the week.
I love a great real burger, in fact could eat them every day. However, I recall watching a show a while ago on The Travel Channel, or Food Network about a lady who took over this diner in California that server all sorts of veggie dishes. Over the years she perfected her veggie burger so that even burger fans didn't know they were eating a veggie burger until they were told.

I wouldn't hesitate to try one of those... I may have to try one on Amtrak for the heck of it...

I love a great meatburger as much as the next guy (assuming the next guy isn't a Vegan), but unless and until a truly good Amburger becomes available, veggie is the superior offering.
I'll have to try the veggie burger next time, but I thought the cheeseburger on the LSL was quite satisfactory, given the constraints the cook is operating under. It wasn't exactly an amazing burger, but much better than I expected, and certainly better than a McDonald's or Burger King type of burger.

Now you all got me curious too, I'll have to try one of the veggie burgers this week when I'm on TE. To be honest I have enjoyed most of my meals on Amtrak. If I'm in coach I've oftern had either the cheeseburger or the pizza. I compare meals on board to those one gets at an amusement park, over priced but good enough to eat. Now if they can just learn how to steam the vegatables so they're not mush. Deserts are respectable in the dinning car, sometimes the best part of the meal.

Last year while on a 9-day Amtrak journey, I got tired of the same old choices day after day, so I tried the veggie burger. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so this was going out on a limb for me, but others on the journey had said it was good.

They were right.

While it did not taste like meat to me, it did have a nice flavor that was not to bland and not too salty either. I dressed it with the same condiments I would on a regular burger, and was happy with the choice. If I had any complaint, it was just a bit dry. But then again I am used to burgers dripping with fat.

While it did not taste like meat to me, it did have a nice flavor that was not to bland and not too salty either. I dressed it with the same condiments I would on a regular burger, and was happy with the choice. If I had any complaint, it was just a bit dry. But then again I am used to burgers dripping with fat.
Oh, the trick is to get it with bacon. You'll get some funny looks, but a bacon-cheese Amy's burger is pretty darn good. I'm wondering if the new chipotle black bean burger is the same product Costco sells.

Last year while on a 9-day Amtrak journey, I got tired of the same old choices day after day, so I tried the veggie burger. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so this was going out on a limb for me, but others on the journey had said it was good.
They were right.

I'm not a veggie; but I do sometimes eat veggie burgers and other veggie food. Personally; I prefer veggie burgers (or other veggie food) that don't (try) to taste like meat. Often the veggie stuff that tries to taste like meat ends up being a poor replica of it. If I want to eat something that tastes like meat then I'll eat meat.

Veggie "burger"...what's the point? I'll have the oxymoron with cheese, please.

>>Once you hang out at a feedlot for eight hours, you might change your mind on that one....<<

Try 15 minutes - that might be enough :)

To me the idea of a veggie burger is not to try to match a hamburger, if i want a hamburger I'll get one - and back when I was a vegetarian, I didn't try to eat non meat items that tasted like meat -

But a good veggie burger is a nice thing - I am going to get some on our LSL/CZ trip coming up this Nov -

Best to all,

David

>>Once you hang out at a feedlot for eight hours, you might change your mind on that one....<<
Try 15 minutes - that might be enough :)

To me the idea of a veggie burger is not to try to match a hamburger, if i want a hamburger I'll get one - and back when I was a vegetarian, I didn't try to eat non meat items that tasted like meat -

But a good veggie burger is a nice thing - I am going to get some on our LSL/CZ trip coming up this Nov -

Best to all,

David

So you're not a vegetarian anymore? Wow thats different.

Being a vegetarian is generally hypocritical in so many ways. Some people never notice the hypocrisy- it implies that one type of living organism is somehow higher then another, for one thing - and will go on being it forever. Some people know the hypocrisy but do it for other reasons, or are comfortably reconciled with it. And other people give up on it when they realize that there is no good reason why we shouldn't eat meat as just another member on the food chain.

Me, I like game.

Being a vegetarian is generally hypocritical in so many ways. Some people never notice the hypocrisy- it implies that one type of living organism is somehow higher then another, for one thing - and will go on being it forever. Some people know the hypocrisy but do it for other reasons, or are comfortably reconciled with it. And other people give up on it when they realize that there is no good reason why we shouldn't eat meat as just another member on the food chain.

Me, I like game.
Well, you're looking at it exclusively from an animal rights perspective. The real argument for vegetarianism in my mind is the idea of 'eating lower on the food chain.' The amount of energy that goes into the production of a pound of beef is staggeringly different than the amount of energy required to produce the same level of food from plants. It's just much more efficient to eat lower on the food chain.

That being said, I won't be giving up meat anytime soon, though I at least try and buy local...

Well, you're looking at it exclusively from an animal rights perspective. The real argument for vegetarianism in my mind is the idea of 'eating lower on the food chain.' The amount of energy that goes into the production of a pound of beef is staggeringly different than the amount of energy required to produce the same level of food from plants. It's just much more efficient to eat lower on the food chain.
That being said, I won't be giving up meat anytime soon, though I at least try and buy local...
There are so many different reasons people want to be veggies, that being one of them. That one makes more sense to my logic then most.

Being a vegetarian is generally hypocritical in so many ways. Some people never notice the hypocrisy- it implies that one type of living organism is somehow higher then another
As opposed to sounding generally ignorant by implying that cattle are no more complex than the grass that they eat? How about not using "hypocritical" incorrectly?
People who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons aren't pretending to espouse that belief when they actually act on it. However, those who do not consider the ethics of their actions....

Being a vegetarian is generally hypocritical in so many ways. Some people never notice the hypocrisy- it implies that one type of living organism is somehow higher then another
As opposed to sounding generally ignorant by implying that cattle are no more complex than the grass that they eat? How about not using "hypocritical" incorrectly?
People who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons aren't pretending to espouse that belief when they actually act on it. However, those who do not consider the ethics of their actions....
Many animals are unethically killed in the farming of crops. And cattle are no more complex then the grass they eat. In fact, I'd say that the grass is more complex since it can manage to power itself, is more adaptive, and much more resilient. Either way, they both consist of living cells.

I've always wondered, if a tree could communicate, what would it say? Its probably lived longer then any of us.

I like animals. I personally think that most animals are better beings then the average person. And more capable of independent thought. But the fact of the matter is, humans are intended to partially be carnivorous. I am supposed to kill and eat animals. And some of the animals I eat are supposed to kill and eat other animals. Which kill and eat other animals. Which eat plant matter. And there feces fertilize the grass, as does their dead, rotting body. Which makes the plant grow and completes the circle of life.

GML:

>I like animals. I personally think that most animals are better beings then the average person. And more capable of independent thought. But the fact of the matter is, humans are intended to partially be carnivorous. I am supposed to kill and eat animals. And some of the animals I eat are supposed to kill and eat other animals. Which kill and eat other animals. Which eat plant matter. And there feces fertilize the grass, as does their dead, rotting body. Which makes the plant grow and completes the circle of life.<

What a powerful grasp of the natural world. Impressive. Intelligent, even. Slightly.

D.

I like animals. I personally think that most animals are better beings then the average person. And more capable of independent thought. But the fact of the matter is, humans are intended to partially be carnivorous. I am supposed to kill and eat animals. And some of the animals I eat are supposed to kill and eat other animals. Which kill and eat other animals. Which eat plant matter. And there feces fertilize the grass, as does their dead, rotting body. Which makes the plant grow and completes the circle of life.
Trouble is you have eaten most of them before all that happens....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back