Vehicle rate auto train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b243923

Service Attendant
I have been checking the rates for the auto train for departure Feb 24 and returning on March 11, 2011.

The vehicle rate has gone up for regular vehicles, but not the oversized rate.

What would happen if I book the oversized rate and bring a standard vehicle since the oversized vehicle rate is cheaper.

Thanks

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been checking the rates for the auto train for departure Feb 24 and returning on March 11, 2011.

What would happen if I book the oversized rate and bring a standard vehicle since the oversized vehicle rate is cheaper.

Thanks

Ben
It looks like the regular rate is cheaper for the southbound trip, but higher on the northbound trip. That is wacky. I guess they are yield managing the vehicles as well as the passengers.

I would call the Auto Train reservation number - 1-877-754-7495 - and ask them about it. The specs for the oversize vehicle dimensions list minimum heights, but can they really charge more for taking a smaller vehicle? Or, just book the northbound with the oversize rate, show up at Sanford with your car, and if they ask about it, say you decided to take a different vehicle. They can then put your car in whatever car carrier works.

Great suggestion: "......just book the northbound with the oversize rate, show up at Sanford with your car, and if they ask about it, say you decided to take a different vehicle. They can then put your car in whatever car carrier works.............." Technically, they might be able to charge you more, but I doubt it. The opposite, bringing a larger vehicle, may not work. I'd wait a few more days, let all the expert posters, well, "post."

I'd wait a few more days, let all the expert posters, well, "post."
I'm not an expert poster, but I play one on AU!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've never been on the AT, so I can't help.

Prior to the Amtrak buying the current, new auto racks Amtrak had to carefully monitor how many over sized vehicles they booked as there was limited space for them. For that reason, they've always handled booking them separately and just like sleepers and seats, there are buckets for both regular and over-sized vehicles.

The new racks handle all sizes with no need to use special racks for the over-sized cars. However, perhaps because it's too lucrative to change things or perhaps because operations never talks with revenue management, Amtrak still treats things as though they still have separate auto racks for each type of vehicle.

My guess, and it just that, is that no one will care if you show up with a car when you've booked space for an SUV. If they do care at all, it might be that you paid too much, since the buckets for over-sized are more expensive than the corresponding buckets for cars. However, in this case it would appear that the car bucket has been kicked a few times, while the over-sized bucket hasn't, hence your seeing a cheaper price for over-sized.

If you tried to go the other way however, booking a car and showing up with an over-sized, that would definitely be a problem.

Thanks

Ben
Last year my Aunt and Uncle had a similar situation. They were already in FL with a sedan and decided to buy a Toyota RAV 4 while there, which is just barely an "oversized vehicle" according to Amtrak Auto Train regulations. Since they already had tickets for the trip north for a "regular vehicle" they call Amtrak reservations to ask what to do. The agent said to do nothing and just show up at the Sanford station with the "oversized vehicle". That is what they did and nothing was said. I'm not sure if this is the norm or not. So I would assume (being alert to the danger of assuming) that the reverse situation (having tickets for an "oversized vehicle" and arriving with a "regular vehicle) would be handled the same way.

Thanks

Ben
Last year my Aunt and Uncle had a similar situation. They were already in FL with a sedan and decided to buy a Toyota RAV 4 while there, which is just barely an "oversized vehicle" according to Amtrak Auto Train regulations. Since they already had tickets for the trip north for a "regular vehicle" they call Amtrak reservations to ask what to do. The agent said to do nothing and just show up at the Sanford station with the "oversized vehicle". That is what they did and nothing was said. I'm not sure if this is the norm or not. So I would assume (being alert to the danger of assuming) that the reverse situation (having tickets for an "oversized vehicle" and arriving with a "regular vehicle) would be handled the same way.

We had a similar situation about 4 years ago on the AutoTrain. My brother agreed to take a car down to Florida that belonged to a friends' parents. The wanted to send back their mini-van (they took it down because they could pack more luggage, but found it uncomfortable for their trips around Florida). My brother called in advance to advise Amtrak as to the change of vehicles, but I don't think they added a surcharge for the change.

I have a smart car and they were really perplexed by it. Amtrak gave no discount for mini cars.

Actually - I don't think that the Toyota RAV 4 is an oversized vehicle. Yes, it is taller than a car (see their specs), but - it is not too long. It's a length plus height issue. They consider the RAV 4 to be a standard vehicle. I say this because I have a new Chevrolet Equinox (2010) which is about the exact same size as a Toyota RAV 4 - perhaps even bigger by just a bit. And I was told that it is standard, and I used AGR standard vehicle award to pay the fare.

Actually - I don't think that the Toyota RAV 4 is an oversized vehicle. Yes, it is taller than a car (see their specs), but - it is not too long. It's a length plus height issue. They consider the RAV 4 to be a standard vehicle. I say this because I have a new Chevrolet Equinox (2010) which is about the exact same size as a Toyota RAV 4 - perhaps even bigger by just a bit. And I was told that it is standard, and I used AGR standard vehicle award to pay the fare.
The criteria used to determine that the RAV 4 was an oversized vehicle was the 65" height requirement, which it just barely exceeds. To the best of my knowledge the length criteria was not being used last year. If so I don't remember seeing it. Can anyone confirm if the length of the vehicle, which is now being used to determine whether a vehicle is oversize or not, a new change?

Amtrak has always used length, width, and height measurements to determine oversized vehicles. As I mentioned earlier, the old car carriers had specific carriers for cars that were 3 levels and oversized carriers which were 2 levels. For this reason there have always been measurements for all demensions to determine oversized.

Amtrak has always used length, width, and height measurements to determine oversized vehicles. As I mentioned earlier, the old car carriers had specific carriers for cars that were 3 levels and oversized carriers which were 2 levels. For this reason there have always been measurements for all demensions to determine oversized.
I never knew that length was factored into the equation and somehow missed it in the instructions. I have been giving my Aunt and Uncle bad advice. As a matter of fact they have booked their Auto Train trip for this December and have booked an "oversized" vehicle for their RAV 4 based on my "assistance" :blush: ! I'll inform them and they should be able to get a refund for the difference. Thanks!

I never knew that length was factored into the equation and somehow missed it in the instructions. I have been giving my Aunt and Uncle bad advice. As a matter of fact they have booked their Auto Train trip for this December and have booked an "oversized" vehicle for their RAV 4 based on my "assistance" :blush: ! I'll inform them and they should be able to get a refund for the difference. Thanks!
My understanding is that if you exceed any one of the demensions, then it is an oversized vehicle. It's not a combination of all 3 demensions. Sorry for the confusion.

You could clarify that by calling the Auto Train hotline @ 1-877-754-7495 as that number is staffed by experts on the Auto Train, it's not the normal call center.

My understanding is that if you exceed any one of the demensions, then it is an oversized vehicle. It's not a combination of all 3 demensions. Sorry for the confusion.

You could clarify that by calling the Auto Train hotline @ 1-877-754-7495 as that number is staffed by experts on the Auto Train, it's not the normal call center.
You were clear as I understood that it was not a combination as well and actually I was unclear. I should have said I didn't know length was considered. Again thanks for you help!

Copied off Amtrak site...

Standard vehicle - "Vehicles less than 65 inches in height; or vehicles 65-88 inches in height and less than 182 inches in length. Maximum width: 84 inches. Ground clearance: at least 4 inches. Check-in is required at least 1 hour prior to departure".

So 65" is OK if it is less than 182 inches in length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back