Vermonter Business Class and Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but not cool enough in Bakersfield in the summer, JimHudson. A few years ago I took the SJ from EMY to Bakersfield for a week's business down there. I didn't buy BC; I don't know if it ewas even available on that train. But the coach cars were set up cafe-table style. I was able to set up my computer and plug it into 110 volt outlet right at the table. When I detrained in B'fld, I walked about one or two blocks to the Holiday Inn. But what I remember most about the trip was a kid listening to the radio and getting all excited when they announced that Michael Jackson had been acquitted.

Yes, but not cool enough in Bakersfield in the summer, JimHudson. A few years ago I took the SJ from EMY to Bakersfield for a week's business down there. I didn't buy BC; I don't know if it ewas even available on that train. But the coach cars were set up cafe-table style. I was able to set up my computer and plug it into 110 volt outlet right at the table. When I detrained in B'fld, I walked about one or two blocks to the Holiday Inn. But what I remember most about the trip was a kid listening to the radio and getting all excited when they announced that Michael Jackson had been acquitted.
Have to laugh :lol: , how right you are about the desert heat! I'm more partial to the Bay Area/Northern California climate and the Beaches of Southern California(wish I could afford to live there! :D )! Most of us not Californians are amazed by the Justice system out there (ie OJ/MJ/various Movie Stars and celebs that seem to always be acquited! )Of course that's LA so perhaps that doesnt count as California! :lol:

The cafe car on the Vermonter is not like on the SJ at all! It is not even in the same league!
Good to hear that. At least, I hope you mean it's in a bigger league!
I wish! :rolleyes: Vermonter is AA baseball, while SJ is major league baseball!
That amazes me! From where I sit (SF) the SJ goes nowhere
I was only comparing the food available from the cafes on each train!

The snack counter on the Vermonter only offers - snack items (including burgers, hot dogs, etc...), while you can get a better meal on the SJ in the cafe car!

I wish! :rolleyes: Vermonter is AA baseball, while SJ is major league baseball!
I have ridden the Vermonter. Its slow-pitch softball, at best.
I think it's gotten better as time goes on. I mostly bring my own food on the train, but I've definitely seen the selection increased from a few years ago. I remember that the only sandwich option used to be a barely edible ham and cheese sandwich - now there's multiple sandwich types and a variety of other choices. I haven't really tried them, so I can't vouch for them. It's the same menu that the Regionals, Empire Service, Adirondack*, and other such trains. However, it still leaves a lot to be desired as far as an actual meal is concerned.

*The Adirondack does have Brooklyn Brewery beer, because it's a New York funded train. Other than that, I noticed no differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back