VIA AND AMTRAK CONNECTING going to Halifax Nova

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidesOften

Train Attendant
well I am happy to say my vacation is 3 weeks away I am planning feverishly a trip to Halifax NS. Canada, Cabot Trail and Peggy's cove.

I got my tickets for amtrak but I am a little worried about connecting with Via.

IT leaves Montreal at 6:59PM

I found if I do this connection on a weekend I miss Via totally in Montreal. I changed it to Thursday April 9.

Now Knowing Amtrak the way I do and not knowing Via, I was face with another decison.

I was told if I get off at St. Lambert I have a hour to connect which makes me feel somewhat better. ( not much Mind ya)

Normal arrival time in Montreal is 6:30 for Train# 69

OKay anyone have any ideas or done this before?

I am traveling alone. SO HELP!!!!!

Thanks

Rides Often

FLA TRAINS ARE FUN!!

I would never attempt such a tight connection. :eek: If customs is even a little slow, it's all over for you. You've missed your connection at Montreal. Even switching at St. Lambert is questionable. Amtrak within it's own system won't guarantee a connection of less than one hour and that doesn't involve customs.

If I were you, I would be planning to spend the night in Montreal. Now whether that means you push the Ocean back one day or move the Adirondack forward by one day is up to you. But I for one would never take such a chance with that tight of a connection and would not recommend it for you either.

I would second that the connection is way too tight to reasonably expect to make in Montreal. On the bright side though, if you have to spend a night in Montreal there are many, many worse places to have to overnight it is a wonderful city to visit. I would have suggested the possibility of using the Vermonter but the bus connection from St. Albans to Montreal is scheduled to arrive after 10PM which would be of no use to you.

Actually there is no bus connection anymore. Amtrak dropped the bus connection as of April 29, 2004 due to low ridership.

battalion51 said:
Actually there is no bus connection anymore. Amtrak dropped the bus connection as of April 29, 2004 due to low ridership.
But his trip is in 3 weeks which would put his arrival in Montreal before April 29th. After that he'd have an issue there. B)

battalion51 said:
tp, reread that date. It's already gone.
B51,

No, you need to reread the date that you posted. :blink: It's not already gone by, it's one month away. :)

I'm guessing that you meant to type April 29, 2003, but instead you typed 2004. :eek: Oops. :lol:

According to this the connection was still in place in the October, 2003 timetable which is the current one for this train on the Amtrak website, which I looked at to see if it was axed yet because of the talk of doing so.

My bad, I was tired when I typed that up. :unsure: I also forgot what month it was. :lol:

I would try to make the connection, but then be prepared to spend the night if need be; make a res at a cheap hotel in Montreal as a back up plan. Then, either way, you're fine.

OKay Guys I appreciate the advise.

I found a hotel near the station but Via was no help they can't grauntee for the next day if I miss the connection so I will make my Halifax train reservation for the next day. That 24 hours in Montreal.

I knew they were going cut the Bus on the Vermonter or was planning so that why I chose 69 and 71 trains

AH one thing This is a girl not a guy

got to keep a open mind here, fellas

LOL

Rides Often

FLA TRAINS ARE FUN! SEE Ya out there. :D B) :)

battalion51 said:
My bad, I was tired when I typed that up. :unsure: I also forgot what month it was. :lol:
Yeah they got you on that one!!! I was scratching my head on that one myself knowing the bus was already gone!! :D :lol:

tp49 said:
According to this the connection was still in place in the October, 2003 timetable which is the current one for this train on the Amtrak website, which I looked at to see if it was axed yet because of the talk of doing so.
The last I checked the bus was gone already..........maybe they didn't follow through with it, which would be good for "Rides Often!" Ya never know with Amtrak, though. I am surprised that they don't just run the bus everywhere anymore!! :lol: :D

I thought of going that way

but I'll stick with the sure thing and that Montreal

Thanks

Rides Often ( a girl )

Also OBS

FLA TRAINS ARE FUN!!!! :D B) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back