VIA Rail Consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donctor

Conductor
I had no idea where to post this question. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Anyhow, my question is this: Is there some online resource that can provide me with the current consists of the following VIA Rail trains?

Canadian (#1/2)

Skeena (#5/6)

Ocean (#14/15)

Chaleur (#16/17)

Saguenay (#600-602)

Abitibi (#603-606)

Hudson Bay (#692/693)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I had no idea where to post this question. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.
Anyhow, my question is this: Is there some online resource that can provide me with the current consists of the following VIA Rail trains?

Canadian (#1/2)

Skeena (#5/6)

Ocean (#14/15)

Chaleur (#16/17)

Saguenay (#600-602)

Abitibi (#603-606)

Hudson Bay (#692/693)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

The Canadian differs drastically with the season. In the winter it might have only 10 or 12 cars, in the summer it could be close to 30. I rode it last about four years ago in the summer and it had 27 cars in service and three deadheads. It was extremely heavy on sleepers.

It is almost as if they just add cars as requests come in, rather than havng a fixed consist to build around. And I could be completely wrong.

It would seem that adding sleepers as the need arises is the correct method for operating a passenger train and is the way many of the original companies did it. I recall at christmas all the odd sleepers that the Mo Pac hauled out to help with the extra loads.

I was just talking to another rail fan and he mentioned that the Canadian government is looking into privatizing the system? He also said they have removed the train names from the routes and only use the end terminus as the name. The exception is the Canadian for now.

Yes, Larry, I think the Pullman company helped cars to be sent around as needed.It was fascinating to see cars from lines I had barely heard of.

Actually the trains did have a fixed consist, but often cars were added to it.

I think the Canadian, though, sort of starts fresh for each trip adding cars as reservatins are submitted. And I could be all wrong about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that adding sleepers as the need arises is the correct method for operating a passenger train and is the way many of the original companies did it.
You would think so, and I would too. But the data says that VIA loses more money per passenger than Amtrak does, by a staggering amount, despite not having conductors/trainmen onboard, and charging vastly higher rates. So everything that VIA does is suspect to me when it comes to sensible business practices.

In anycase, Amtrak doesn't have that luxury. VIA has a lot of equipment it doesn't use because most of the system it originally operated was shut down over the past few decades, and the ones that weren't shut down were decreased in frequency. Amtrak barely has enough cars to meet its current off-peak needs.

It would seem that adding sleepers as the need arises is the correct method for operating a passenger train and is the way many of the original companies did it. I recall at christmas all the odd sleepers that the Mo Pac hauled out to help with the extra loads.
I was just talking to another rail fan and he mentioned that the Canadian government is looking into privatizing the system? He also said they have removed the train names from the routes and only use the end terminus as the name. The exception is the Canadian for now.
its true. go to vias website. all trains are now called by there route instead. i guess its supposed to save money.

..........He also said they have removed the train names from the routes and only use the end terminus as the name. The exception is the Canadian for now.
its true. go to vias website. all trains are now called by there route instead. i guess its supposed to save money.
Guess VIA just recognized the fact that probably 90% of people (other than railfans) just ask for a ticket on the train to Churchill or Jonquiere. Not on the “Hudson Bay” or “Saguenay”.....names VIA tagged on these services several years ago which ran for years on CN without names.

The “Canadian” and “Ocean” (the only two names being retained) have more significance...The Canadian, the flagship, being around since 1955 and the Ocean for over 100 years.

VIA #1 Canadian @ Winnipeg Sept 3/09

6434 F40

6408 F40

8616 baggage

8118 coach

8104 coach

8103 coach

8509 Skyline

8413 Louise

8512 Skyline

8322 Drummond Manor

8319 Dawson Manor

8313 Cabot Manor

8307 Blair Manor

8211 Chateau Lasalle

8226 Chateau Salaberry

8503 Skyline

8407 Emerald

8337 Osler Manor

8332 Laird Manor

8316 Christie Manor

8715 Tremblant Park

VIA (former Hudson Bay) @ Winnipeg Sept. 8/09

6458 F40

6413 F40

8601 baggage

8113 coach

8132 coach

8418 York

8216 Chateau Levis

VIA #14 #15 Ocean

(typical consist for Summer 2009)

2 F40

1 Renaissance Baggage

4 Renaissance Coaches

1 Renaissance Lounge/Service Car (coach passengers)

1 Renaissance Diner

1 Renaissance Lounge/Service Car (sleeper passengers)

6 Renaissance Sleepers

1 Renaissance Transition Car

1 Budd Dome Observation “Park” Car

>Edit: Here's todays e/b #14 (Sept 13) reported at Matapedia:

>6452-6445-7003-7223-7226-7217-7315-7401-7314-7500-7520-7507-7502-7506-7513-7602-Revelstoke Park.

>6452 is one of the new rebuilt F40s....just out of the shops

>3 coaches today + 6 sleepers

VIA #600/604 (former Saguenay-Abitibi) July 9/09

(Combined arriving Hervey Jct where they split)

6412 F40

6429 F40

8621 baggage

8145 coach

8116 coach

8619 baggage

8146 coach

8147 coach

VIA #5 (former Skeena)

Jasper June 19/09

6404 F40

8141 coach

1722 low glass-roof coach

Assiniboine Park dome-observation

Last edited:
You would think so, and I would too. But the data says that VIA loses more money per passenger than Amtrak does, by a staggering amount, despite not having conductors/trainmen onboard, and charging vastly higher rates. So everything that VIA does is suspect to me when it comes to sensible business practices.
Wait, no on-board conductors or trainmen? How does this work?

The shortest Canadian that I have been on was 9 cars long in the deep freeze of winter last year. It was a spectacular ride, in some ways even more spectacular than the summer ride, because of the incredible frozen scenery and blizzards that we passed through.

The shortest Canadian that I have been on was 9 cars long in the deep freeze of winter last year. It was a spectacular ride, in some ways even more spectacular than the summer ride, because of the incredible frozen scenery and blizzards that we passed through.
Jishnu, what was your time keeping like for that trip?

Bill, it was pretty much on time +/- less than an hour throughout. It finally managed to get delayed by almost an hour just outside Toronto for no particular apparent reason, i.e. there was no blazing blizzard or anything like that at that point. This was specially odd since it had left Capreol in the middle of a snowstorm and had pretty much run at regular speed all the way. Do not remember if it made Perry Sound or Washago on time since I was busy partying with a bunch of new found friends in the lounge area of Strathcona Park :)

Wait, no on-board conductors or trainmen? How does this work?
On VIA the second engineer in the locomotive performs the duties of a conductor. A Service Manager is in charge within the passenger cars along with car attendants. They perform duties similar to a conductor and trainman on Amtrak.

.........So everything that VIA does is suspect to me when it comes to sensible business practices.
VIA is very well managed. Here’s a Government Transportation Policy Review from 2001.....and it gets even better if you pursue the recent annual reports available in PDF on VIA’s web site.

http://www.reviewcta-examenltc.gc.ca/Submi...20canada(2).txt

.........Amtrak barely has enough cars to meet its current off-peak needs.
VIA is currently rebuilding their F40 locomotives and entire LRC passenger car fleet. A proactive approach.....update now to start-of-the-art before break-downs become too numerous.....good business practice and if rebuilding will give many more years of life for a fraction of the cost of new equipment, why not? Unlike Amtrak where the equipment offering the equivalent capacity of several new trains that have been needed over the past number of years is sitting on some back-track at Beech Grove or other facility waiting for rebuilding.....hopefully the recent new funding will remedy this.

Last edited:
Winter.....my favorite time to ride the Canadian! Here's a trip report when we were 3 hours late leaving Toronto but ontime at Edmonton.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?...amp;#entry62111

I've also been on in the winter when we were 70 minutes early into Winnipeg even after rolling through a snow storm.

VIA is very well managed. Here’s a Government Transportation Policy Review from 2001.....and it gets even better if you pursue the recent annual reports available in PDF on VIA’s web site.
http://www.reviewcta-examenltc.gc.ca/Submi...20canada(2).txt
Explain to me why they, on average, lose $25 more a passenger while charging about double the rate.
It's called accounting! They probably use different systems.
Do you have a specific idea on how that comes to be? Or are you just hand-waving? ;)

It's called accounting! They probably use different systems.
That's silly. Accounting could account for a small difference, sure. But not one that huge. Percentage-wise, its an impressive number.

Also, both companies don't have to make money or keep a cap on losing money. Moreso, they have to give the APPEARANCE of not losing that much money. So I'm sure they both pull every accounting trick in the book.

Amtrak's capital loss is also lower, per passenger. I admit they are both pretty high. But that is, conceptually, impressive. Why? Amtrak buys cars, and they buy them new. VIA hasn't bought a new car since the LRCs. They've bought used Heritage cars and fire-sale Renn cars. But not new cars. Amtrak owns track in large quantity. I think that, excluding the class-1 freights, there is no rail operator in the country that owns more track-miles. Amtrak maintains a pair of electric rail lines of pretty high speed- especially compared to anything VIA runs.

Amtrak owns the entirety of the electric passenger lines of the old Pennsylvania railroad. They own the New Haven's electric passenger line to Springfield - even though it is no longer electrified. They own NHV-BOS. They own the Michigan City-Kalamazoo trackage.

Amtrak should be losing money hand over fist. But they don't. They cost a total of about $400,000 a year in operating expenses- $16 a passenger - and about 1.5 billion a year including their capital program - about $60 a passenger.

Via loses about $41 a passenger operating. I don't care what accounting you use. You can't accounting away 60% of the cost, especially with the government watching over your shoulder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back