Video Camcorder Suggestions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again: Thanks again for everyones info on my upcoming train trip on the Zephyr & the Sunset Unlimited in February.

Here is my question: I have a Canon A560 camera - I think that will do super pictures for my trip - it does have video capability - but I want something better. I only want to pay between $150 & $250 - I am not taking a laptop on my trip so I won't have the capability to upload off my camcorder until after the trip is over. Any model suggestions?? I am looking at the JVC GZ HM300 - it has a 20x optical zoom with an advanced stabilizer - Any helps would be helpful Thanks Dave Wisconsin - (I Love Amtrak - & TRAIN)

Last edited by a moderator:
Many digital still cameras can now shoot HD video. From my experience, the quality on some of the higher-end cameras can rival dedicated video cameras. The benefit is that you end up with one camera that can shoot excellent stills and HD video.

I would suggest taking a look at the recently announced Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2. Here's a link to a preview http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-G2-Interchangeable-14-42mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003AOAXL4

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a JVC GZ-MS120AU the last two trips. Easy to use plus it has immediate recovery on photo shots. Mine cost about $240 last year, now going for less than $200. If you can get one with built-in hard drive.

Aloha

I deal with Pro camera's a lot. The only major difference is how long they last. When brand new they are almost the same quality, but the smaller, cheaper cameras wear out much faster.

Here is my question: I have a Canon A560 camera - I think that will do super pictures for my trip - it does have video capability - but I want something better. I only want to pay between $150 & $250 - I am not taking a laptop on my trip so I won't have the capability to upload off my camcorder until after the trip is over. Any model suggestions?? I am looking at the JVC GZ HM300 - it has a 20x optical zoom with an advanced stabilizer
I kinda doubt you'll find that JVC model for anything like your price range, and given no en route uploading a good bet might be a mini-camcorder that uses flash memory (SD or micro SD cards that can be gone through, saved for later uploading, and replaced with new ones as used up). Several manufacturers make such models in your price range, e.g. JVC Picsio GC-FM2; Kodak PlaySport Zx3; Sony bloggie MHS-CM5; Panasonic HM-TA1; Sony bloggie MHS-PM5; Toshiba Camileo S20; Samsung HMX-E10.

I don't recommend the Toshiba Camileo H30 $159. I had 1 for 3 weeks. Check out the reviews on the H30 Amazon.

My review is titled "Sadly, not up to snuff".

Bad camera, bad, bad.

The S20 may be ok, I have no experience with it. It did get more favorable reviews on Amazon.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back