View on night trips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love to travel at night. somehow, it is just more dramatic. There is nothing like the secure feeling of well-being one gets, tucked into bed, peering out one's window at a passing scene of snowy roads.....the ringing of the bell, with the doppler effect, along with the flashing lights, and the distant sound of the train's airhorn, at crossings.....stopping at small town depots and watching whatever action takes place on the platform....seeing the deserted main streets of the sleeping towns....listening to the talk on the scanner, knowing that there are people working to insure our safety as we travel....back in the old days, enjoying the right front 'railfans's seat' in a Vista-dome, darkened to allow excellent viewing of the beam of the headlight, the figure eight swing of the Mars light, the wayside green lights, distorted by the heat waves radiating from the engine exhaust, turning red as the locomotive passed them, our train dimming its headlight as we met outher trains....late night parties in the lounge car...purchasing extra rounds when the attendant announcing his closing down........

As for urban scenery, used to love to ride the old Broadway Limited, especially in the long nights of winter. Starting dinner right in Penn Station in one of those twin-unit diner's. Envious commuter's peering in on their way to their commuter train on the opposite track of platform... Exiting the North River tunnel and whizzing past cars on the adjacent New Jersey Turnpike.......Crossing the massive, very industrial looking Dock Bridge into the art deco Newark Station.....seeing an unbelievable amount of commuter trains along the Northeast Corridor.....passing those nice old brick PRR block station towers (supposedly one hundred between NYP and CHI)....crossing the Delaware, and seeing the "Trenton Makes, The World Takes" sign on the highway bridge....seeing the urban desolation of the North Phladelphia landscape....remember vividly a faded sign on an old ice house, proclaiming: "Ice Never Fails", a reference to when new refridgerator technology spelled their demise....The end of electric wires at Harrisburg, and the switch from GG-1 to E8 locomotives....The beautiful moonlight reflecting on the Juniata River as we climbed our way westward....the rounding of The World Famous Horseshoe Curve....the muted roar of the engines passing thru the Gallitzen tunnel.....the steel mill fires lighting up the night as we approached Pittsburgh.......tugboats pushing barges on the moonlit upper Ohio River.......the landscape flattening out to far horizons as we progressed across Ohio.....breakfast in the cheery diner, 'As The Broadway Meets The Dawn'....the view of the mills along the tip of Lake Michigan from Gary, past Hammond, Englewood, the iconic green streetlamp poles of Chicago....the CTA el's.....The distinctive Chicago skyline.....

Sorry if I got 'carried-away'...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My best night memory was leaving Winnipeg sitting in the dark dome car of VIA's Canadian eastbound and seeing the 'Aurora borealis' out the windows! (I was cheep and only had an upper birth that lacked a window so no sitting in bed and see the green mysterious flashes).

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]After traveling a ton in coach and finally experiencing sleepers (through AGR) the ability to have a completely dark space with a window is definitely a great sleeper car feature. One of these days I'll get to experience night on the NEC in a sleeper car. I could just see myself when I redeem my AGR points for a Roomette on the Cardinal sitting in my room curtains fully closed for the final nighttime sprint (in winter) up the NEC from WAS back to NYP. I can't think of any other LD trains that current transverse the NEC at night.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the stories, sounds encouraging. I have a nice set of guidebooks for the route I am taking and was planning to use them as a travel journal. Just jot all my notes on the pages to keep as a memory of the trip. I will be traveling in the winter so a lot will be during the dark, and I am hoping to be able to somewhat keep track of where we are with the book, my phone gps, a compass/speedometer, and my scanner.

Any tips for this would be appreciated.

My favorite "night view" was after dinner service was over, I'd head to the baggage car, unscrew the incandescent light bulbs, throw some luggage or sacks of mail (back in the day) near the baggage doors, and slide open the big door. Nothing like it going thru the mountains, or even X the high dessert on the Chief at near 90 mph. Luckily, I was only busted twice, by some VERY understanding conductors, who let me be, just told me to make sure to close everything up when I was done....talk about your own BIG screen, LIVE, with "smell-a-vision" of burning brake shoes, and Diesel engines.......

I have to go with the View from a Dome on the Canadian while Riding on a Clear Night with a Full Moon shining on the Snow and the Stars So Bright it Seems like you could Reach Up and Touch them! :wub:

(But any Night on a LD Train is a Good Night! ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
*** Moderator's Note ***

Regarding rrdude's post, just to be clear, we staff do not encourage any passenger doing this. At the time, rrdude was employed by the railroad as a crew member. This is how he gained access to the baggage car.

*** Moderator's Note ***

Regarding rrdude's post, just to be clear, we staff do not encourage any passenger doing this. At the time, rrdude was employed by the railroad as a crew member. This is how he gained access to the baggage car.
I guess today he would go down to the lower level of a Superliner car, crawl in the luggage space and sprawl himself evenly over the suitcases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back