viewliner 3 orders

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamflemming

Train Attendant
So this October the first view liner 3 will be delivered. I have heard potential plan for the Pennsylvanian to have through cars to Chicago around other rumors. Another rumor is a possible 7 day a week cardinal, my fave east-of-missisppi train.

Edit: as pointed out by Cho Cho Charlie, They are actually viewliner 2's :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I must have missed something. What's a Viewliner 3?

A new Viewliner, but with the private toilets restored? :D
Sorry, I meant viewliner 2's :blush: I was thinking like, there are superliner 2's so the next would be 3's :rolleyes:

If any body doesn't know, here is the wikipiedia part on them

Viewliner II

In the 2009 budget, increased funding was provided to allow Amtrak to initially order 130 Viewliner II cars in the form of diners, sleepers, baggage-dorms and baggage cars with an option to purchase 70 additional cars.[6]

On July 23, 2010 Amtrak placed an order worth $298.1 million with CAF USA, a fully owned subsidiary of Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles located in Elmira, New York, for the full order of 130 new cars. According to Amtrak president Joseph Boardman, CAF's capability to construct the entire car at its factory, rather than relying on subcontractors, as well as submitting a lower bid, were the reasons the company won the contract over Alstom, the only other bidder.[7]

The order totals are as follows:[8]

Initial 130 new cars 25 sleepers 25 diners 25 baggage/dorms 55 baggage cars

One may wish to catch up with what has already been posted and discussed in excruciating detail about the Viewliner IIs in this forum. There are at least a dozen past threads bearing on this subject. The two more relevant recent threads are:

* New Cars

* New Car - where built

In general one can find more on this by doing a search on Viewliner or "Viewliner II"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back