Viewliner Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jis...I think everybody is missing my point. If the LSL gets the new Viewliner diners all I propose is for the Cardinal to get the hand me down Heritage diners.
Maybe on an interim basis, if the plans are to put Viewliner diners on an expanded Cardinal once all 25 diners have been delivered. But Amtrak has indicated that they don't plan to keep the Heritage equipment in service once the Viewliner IIs have been delivered. A major goal is to reduce maintenance costs, not only with new equipment, but a single car type for the baggage, single level baggage dorms, diners, and sleepers. Fewer different spare parts to stock.

I would expect the Heritage baggage and diner cars that are in better condition will go into reserve storage. But the rest will probably be put up for sale or sold for scrap after a time. Don't know how much interest there would be from private buyers in buying seriously high mileage diner cars.

Luv this news!!

Now, some mention of the Viewliner I sleeper overhauls, namely those with the slightly lowered stripes on the outside, plus the removal of the individual 'view' names. While occupying these cars three months ago, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference. In fact, alot of the issues plaguing Viewliners (need to jam towels to keep doors from vibrating, use of duct tape, and shower doors requiring velcro to close) were still present. Can anyone elaborate why these overhauls weren't so good?
Doesn't sound like they were actual overhauls. That could be the reason.

Luv this news!!

Now, some mention of the Viewliner I sleeper overhauls, namely those with the slightly lowered stripes on the outside, plus the removal of the individual 'view' names. While occupying these cars three months ago, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference. In fact, alot of the issues plaguing Viewliners (need to jam towels to keep doors from vibrating, use of duct tape, and shower doors requiring velcro to close) were still present. Can anyone elaborate why these overhauls weren't so good?
Doesn't sound like they were actual overhauls. That could be the reason.

Even the refurbished Superliner 1 sleeper I was in had duct tape keeping the door closed in the bedroom.

The Viewliner's design doesn't really allow for an overhaul at the moment. I don't think they will ever look as nice as the S1 Sleepers because of their design.

Jis...I think everybody is missing my point. If the LSL gets the new Viewliner diners all I propose is for the Cardinal to get the hand me down Heritage diners.
Maybe on an interim basis, if the plans are to put Viewliner diners on an expanded Cardinal once all 25 diners have been delivered. But Amtrak has indicated that they don't plan to keep the Heritage equipment in service once the Viewliner IIs have been delivered. A major goal is to reduce maintenance costs, not only with new equipment, but a single car type for the baggage, single level baggage dorms, diners, and sleepers. Fewer different spare parts to stock.

I would expect the Heritage baggage and diner cars that are in better condition will go into reserve storage. But the rest will probably be put up for sale or sold for scrap after a time. Don't know how much interest there would be from private buyers in buying seriously high mileage diner cars.
Bet that's what suits @ Amtrak said when VIA bought the Heritage equipment that they are rehabing and still running on the Canadian and Ocean Trains! The poor Card really does need a good Diner AND Decent Cafe/lounge car! :excl: :excl: :excl: Considering the Route, the length of the trip, the Pax Numbers and the High Bucket Prices that's not too much to ask! The OBS do the best they can with Food Service, as jis said it's OK, but the Cafe/Lounge Car sucks big time! :angry: Move the Dome out of California full time, does anyone know why it's only sent back East in the Fall during Leaf Peeper Season??? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cardinal really should have a dome - I've heard that Amtrak could buy an older one at a very low price on the used market. Then the other issues are not so bad. Riders could hang out in the dome and just leave the Cafe car alone. Then a loaded Cardinal would not feel so packed. Once the Viewliner ll cars arrive, just sell the dome. Just a nice short term fix.

They only need to buy one - or lease it. They have the other dome in CA. Two domes - done!

The Viewliner's design doesn't really allow for an overhaul at the moment.
Now what does that mean exactly? That its design won't allow for overhauls? Do you mean that it's difficult to overhaul them because of some characteristic unique or inherent in Viewliners? Then that would have to be the modular stuff because that's the only thing i know of that set's them apart. But that would'nt make sense because the modular rooms were cited up down east and west as making maintenance, and it follows: overhauls (which is a form of maintenance), easy and quick. Slide out the worn components, slide in better ones. Please articulate what you mean in a narrative.

Now what does that mean exactly? That its design won't allow for overhauls? Do you mean that it's difficult to overhaul them because of some characteristic unique or inherent in Viewliners? Then that would have to be the modular stuff because that's the only thing i know of that set's them apart. But that would'nt make sense because the modular rooms were cited up down east and west as making maintenance, and it follows: overhauls (which is a form of maintenance), easy and quick. Slide out the worn components, slide in better ones. Please articulate what you mean in a narrative.
I'm not sure what was done to it but I was on #20 out of NOL 7/29 and I noticed the Viewliner next to mine - 62034 "Seaview" was a TIGER car. I looked at it superficially and it seemed like it had been 'spruced up' but, at the same time did not seem like a complete overhaul.

And that is exactly what many of us hope for and I believe has at least been talked about by Amtrak. That is, trying to find enough money to buy enough modules not only for the new cars, but also for the old Viewliner I sleepers. Then you send them to Beech Grove a few at a time and while one crew slides out the old rooms and replaces them with the new rooms, another crew can tune up the AC units and other undercarriage support stuff.

Not sure that will actually happen, but it would be a great way to refurbish and prolong the life of the current Viewliner sleepers. And the refurb of one car could probably be done in a month of less as opposed to the more than 3 months per car spent on the Superlner I's.

IMHO, the Cardinal will be lucky not to get chopped in the obvious upcoming budget shenanigans.
I doubt it - they're going to need to make big number changes, and Amtrak just isn't a big enough budget driver to waste the time one (I hope, at least).

In that line of thought, how much money has the Fed pissed away by not collecting taxes through the FAA during that mess, and how does it compare to Amtrak's budget? Reason being, if that small amount of money can't even motivate them to find the time and get that passed, then Amtrak's budget should be equally invisible. (again, I hope)

IMHO, the Cardinal will be lucky not to get chopped in the obvious upcoming budget shenanigans.
I doubt it - they're going to need to make big number changes, and Amtrak just isn't a big enough budget driver to waste the time one (I hope, at least).

In that line of thought, how much money has the Fed pissed away by not collecting taxes through the FAA during that mess, and how does it compare to Amtrak's budget? Reason being, if that small amount of money can't even motivate them to find the time and get that passed, then Amtrak's budget should be equally invisible. (again, I hope)
No, Amtrak and HSR is definitely in the cross hairs of a number of tea party activists who hate public transit and direct government subsidies for transportation. While, of course, blithely ignoring the huge subsidies - direct, indirect, and hidden - at the federal, state, and local level for roads, highways, air travel, and oil. The question is how much of a fight will the more mainstream House Republicans, House members from districts with Amtrak service, Senate Democrats, and the Obama put up for Amtrak, passenger rail, HSR, and transit. They will put up a fight, but how it will play out is anyone's guess.

I hope Amtrak can keep all the LD trains running for the next 2 years until after the 2012 elections. In the long run, I think we will see a major resurgence in passenger rail - corridor, HSR, and LD - as oil prices climb & oil availability drops forcing people to use more energy efficiency travel. The more I look at the world's oil production and reserve amount trends, the more I become convinced that the next 10-20 years will be a lot bumpier on a national and global scale than the last 20 as we exit the long era of cheap oil. But this is getting way OT from the Viewliner Diner. :lol:

Oops, left out that according to news articles, the FAA is losing about $200 million a week in taxes during the shutdown due the loss of the authority to charge ticket taxes to cover FAA programs and projects.

I do hope you are right, but when did logic and reason ever have much sway over politicians when there are perceived 'points' to be made? And judging from some of the rhetoric in the last while, there are those who seem to think Amtrak makes an easy target.

And judging from some of the rhetoric in the last while, there are those who seem to think Amtrak makes an easy target.

It is an easy target. Not by any means the best target, not even close to it, but Amtrak and other little things are easy targets for politicians to cut funding for and say "look, we're doing something" because honestly, fewer people care about the little things than the big ones. Eliminating Amtrak (or on the other hand, EAS) completely would be far easier than trying to get through meaningful cuts to defense/medicare/social security budgets.

And judging from some of the rhetoric in the last while, there are those who seem to think Amtrak makes an easy target.
It is an easy target. Not by any means the best target, not even close to it, but Amtrak and other little things are easy targets for politicians to cut funding for and say "look, we're doing something" because honestly, fewer people care about the little things than the big ones. Eliminating Amtrak (or on the other hand, EAS) completely would be far easier than trying to get through meaningful cuts to defense/medicare/social security budgets.
While it is an easy target, it is also a useless target. With the contraints set by the bill passed today, cutting Amtrak funding is like pouring a cup of water on the island of Manhattan trying to put out a fire engulfing the entire island of Manhattan.

It does nothing to help meet the goals that have to be met.

It is indeed rationally a useless target, but when the objection is more religious than rational the only way to deal with is political in nature, that is ideally to have a champion to protect it. Unfortunately the very fact that it is insignificant also makes it a danger since in the bigger scheme of things when push comes to shove it might fall through the cracks. And that is where we as indivudals come in. Make sure to keep writing to you Senators, your Congressman and the President pointing out that Amtrak needs to be funded at full level perhaps with some equitable across the board reduction so as to contribute to the deficit reduction. But it should not be allowed to be singled out for extraordinary cuts.

While it is an easy target, it is also a useless target. With the contraints set by the bill passed today, cutting Amtrak funding is like pouring a cup of water on the island of Manhattan trying to put out a fire engulfing the entire island of Manhattan.

It does nothing to help meet the goals that have to be met.
Yes, but to Mr. Micah he will try to make it look like New year's Eve in Times Square and has said so many times. His latest is a list of small airports that are federally subsidized~ eack pax tix costs over $3,000...and he worries about land cruises where the worse, IIRC, is the Sunset which runs at a $400 loss per pax.

Spotted at Chicago Union station today!!!

Video is not mine.

(12 minute video, Hoosier State? with 8400 appears at 5:54)

Random question: What's the train at the beginning in push mode with three Superliners and nothing else?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Viewdiner looks better in this paint scheme than anything else does, or is it just newly painted and shiny?

I was surprized to see the upper windows on the Indianapolis car.

It looks like a sleeper. Do current Viewliner Diners have upper windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back