Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, allow me to backtrack a bit. I would quite prefer a full-viewliner consist. From the P42s to the baggage to the coach, diner, and sleepers, it would be a very good looking consist.

I wonder if people would get caught sleeping in the baggage racks in coach, if they keep the upper window!

Oh wait a minute. We're missing something here.

There's been no discussion about replacing the cafe cars.

Oh, that'd be a major ick to have all Viewliner IIs and an AmCan Cafe in the middle!

I do NOT like going back to the pointless arrow! You know how many road signs they had to change to get the swoopy track logo?
At least here in SAC they're at no risk of trouble on the signage front. We're still sporting 100% Pointless Arrow Amtrak signs on all signposts. They never changed them, and I don't think they ever will.
I was thinking that myself. There are so many signs in various parts of the country with the older logo still on them, it would hardly matter.
The problem is that where all the old signage exists is NOT where "Amtrak America" will be running. :eek:

Thanks, GML. I hadn't thought of that although I could tell it was the BR end of the car.

They'd just better not mess with "my" bedrooms! LOL Actually, it's only the H unit that was "mine." (not any more) Hopefully it's not changing too much? It sure is a nice unit.

Do you think many sleepers will actually be in service by next spring?
Once (if) they pass testing, I'd imagine that Amtrak would put them into service ASAP. I'm not sure how much testing each subsequent new car will need (I'd imagine much less than these first fours cars).
The fact that they are testing all four flavors simultaneously is encouraging. It shows that their plan to enter revenue service is agressive!

This may have been answered, but does anyone know why they didn't put a vestibule on the diner, other than "our other diners don't?"
The purpose of a vestibule is to load and unload passengers. They don't want folks boarding the train in the diner. Too hard to manage. The diner has a crew access door, but that's all they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unlikely that many sleepers will be in service by next spring. After the "test cars", the last plan announced involved building all the diners, then all the bag-dorms, then all the sleepers, with the baggage cars on a separate production line.

As a result, by next spring, the Heritage diners are likely to be completely gone, but I wouldn't expect many of the new sleepers to be in service.

I'm sure every car which is ready will go into service ASAP; it's just unlikely that there will be more than 2 sleepers by early spring.

Well, allow me to backtrack a bit. I would quite prefer a full-viewliner consist. From the P42s to the baggage to the coach, diner, and sleepers, it would be a very good looking consist.

I wonder if people would get caught sleeping in the baggage racks in coach, if they keep the upper window!

Oh wait a minute. We're missing something here.

There's been no discussion about replacing the cafe cars.

Oh, that'd be a major ick to have all Viewliner IIs and an AmCan Cafe in the middle!

I do NOT like going back to the pointless arrow! You know how many road signs they had to change to get the swoopy track logo?
At least here in SAC they're at no risk of trouble on the signage front. We're still sporting 100% Pointless Arrow Amtrak signs on all signposts. They never changed them, and I don't think they ever will.
I was thinking that myself. There are so many signs in various parts of the country with the older logo still on them, it would hardly matter.
The problem is that where all the old signage exists is NOT where "Amtrak America" will be running. :eek:

Thanks, GML. I hadn't thought of that although I could tell it was the BR end of the car.

They'd just better not mess with "my" bedrooms! LOL Actually, it's only the H unit that was "mine." (not any more) Hopefully it's not changing too much? It sure is a nice unit.

Do you think many sleepers will actually be in service by next spring?
Once (if) they pass testing, I'd imagine that Amtrak would put them into service ASAP. I'm not sure how much testing each subsequent new car will need (I'd imagine much less than these first fours cars).
The fact that they are testing all four flavors simultaneously is encouraging. It shows that their plan to enter revenue service is agressive!

This may have been answered, but does anyone know why they didn't put a vestibule on the diner, other than "our other diners don't?"
The purpose of a vestibule is to load and unload passengers. They don't want folks boarding the train in the diner. Too hard to manage. The diner has a crew access door, but that's all they need.
Right, but it wouldn't have to be trainlined (if the rest even are), but as I remember, keeping a vestibule next to the diner was one of the original reasons for running the eastern LD trains reversed, in case of an evacuation. I would think that Amtrak would want to have this flexibility so they wouldn't be so constrained on car direction.

It is unlikely that many sleepers will be in service by next spring. After the "test cars", the last plan announced involved building all the diners, then all the bag-dorms, then all the sleepers, with the baggage cars on a separate production line.

As a result, by next spring, the Heritage diners are likely to be completely gone, but I wouldn't expect many of the new sleepers to be in service.

I'm sure every car which is ready will go into service ASAP; it's just unlikely that there will be more than 2 sleepers by early spring.
That's probably the best order, quite frankly. The heritage diners have served well over the years, but need to be replaced ASAP. Same thing for the baggage cars. I can see why the sleepers have a lower priority (yes, there is a shortage, but the Viewliner Is aren't falling apart like the heritage equipment is).

I'm glad that I'll get a to see a heritage diner on the Silver Star next week, before they're gone forever.

We need to remember that the first diner, sleeper, bag-dorm cars were delivered for testing only this past week. There are months of testing ahead. It is not just testing and certification, training and familiarization on the new Viewliners for the maintenance, service, and operating crews at multiple facilities has to be completed as well before the new cars can enter service. If the first set of new diner cars enter service in December or January, which could be optimistic, there are 20 Heritage diners to be replaced with 5 additional diner cars to enter the fleet. Also, given the history of delays for the CAF production, reasonable to expect that issues will be discovered during testing that will require some changes, hopefully only minor ones. So I think odds are that there will be heritage diners in service into the summer of 2015.

In the FY14 budget and FY14-18 Five Year financial plan which was released a few months ago, it states that the final CAF car is expected to enter revenue service by March 2016. So, if there are no more serious schedule slips and they are sticking to the diner, bag-dorm, sleeper production order, after the 2 test/shakedown cars, the rest of the sleeper cars probably won't start to enter revenue service until late 2015.

If plans stays close to schedule, 2016 will be a big year for new equipment. The ACS-64s and 130 CAF Viewliners should all be delivered by early 2016. The Nippon-Sharyo corridor bi-level cars should be entering revenue service in quantity. The Siemens Charger locomotives should start to enter service by mid to late 2016, easing the demands on the P-42 fleet which may be struggling to keep enough units in daily service by then. 2016, the year of foamer overload....

I'm on today's southbound Adirondack that is currently sitting outside ALB waiting for an open platform. Spotted the new cars sitting about 100 yards behind us. I was focused on my calc homework in my lap and the "retro" livery certainly caught my eye! Fumbled with my phone and could only get a pic of the baggage car at the end of the test train

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Saw the same train!

Amtrak172

Correct me if I'm wrong but, Amtrak's not going back to the old pointless arrow logo. AMTRAK SAID that the first of every new Viewliner II to be produced will have the older Amtrak pointless arrow logo (Amtrak America logo). The current Amtrak logo will return on the standard production of cars.

Amtrak172

Correct me if I'm wrong but, Amtrak's not going back to the old pointless arrow logo. AMTRAK SAID that the first of every new Viewliner II to be produced will have the older Amtrak pointless arrow logo (Amtrak America logo). The current Amtrak logo will return on the standard production of cars.

Amtrak172
Is the same true for the rest of the livery? Only the first few cars in this special phase "IIIb" and the rest in phase IVb?

Well it good you don't need a "H" room at this time. Of the two major changes from a Viewliner 1 to a Viewliner 2. The "H" bedroom get a big change. In short it becomes a roomette, not a bedroom. Yes it can fit a wheelchair, and the bunk is left to right, but the private bathroom is gone. The public restroom just out side the door is wheelchair accessible.

The other major change is the no toilet in the roomette. One accessible unit up front, two in rear standard bathroom to the rear.

Hubby needed the H unit, and he passed away a couple of years ago.

I'm sorry to hear they're making a major change to the H unit; I think it was the best unit on any of the trains. I suppose it took up too much space. So the restroom is not even inside it any more? That seems much less "accessible" but I'm sure it's within ADA guidelines or they couldn't do it.

I knew the toilets were gone from the roommettes; opinions sure vary about that! Thanks for your post.

Amtrak172
Is the same true for the rest of the livery? Only the first few cars in this special phase "IIIb" and the rest in phase IVb?
No, all of the new Amtrak Viewliner II's will have the Phase III striping. The first of every new car to be produced will have the older Amtrak logo. The standard production of the cars will be delivered with Amtrak's Phase III stripping and Amtrak's current logo.

Amtrak172

Are you sure there will be no toilet in the H room? I knew the toilets were being removed from the roomettes but I thought the bedrooms and handicapped room would keep theirs. Removing the toilets would certainly make the rooms less accessible even with an accessible restroom at the H room end of the car.

I just found a floor plan for the Viewliner II sleeper. The accessible washroom is directly connected to the H room. There is no door to the aisle. So the H room will have its own washroom.

On second look, it appears I found a Viewliner I floor plan. Sorry about that. I guess I jumped into this discussion with improper knowledge.

On second look, it appears I found a Viewliner I floor plan. Sorry about that. I guess I jumped into this discussion with improper knowledge.
I did not think I had ever seen any floorplans for the Viewliner II's. I would assume if there were any, they would be in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

http://www.railplan.com/caf---amtrak-viewliner-ii.html

Seem I had a fail to recall, or they had a change of design. The Viewliner 2 "H" room has been change, but not the way I was thinking, and not for the better IMHO. The bathroom is now in room like the Superliners with bathroom right next to the bed. I would hope a shower curtain can be pulled across.

Me bad.

Or maybe I have the Finland sleeper on my brain. Nice double decker wide gauge made by TALGO.

Sorry about that, poor use of "good". Strange at my age I can still plant my foot in my mouth.
No worries and no apology needed! My post in no way indicated that someone other than me had needed the H unit. I would have interpreted my post exactly the same way you did.

As for me, I break out in hoof and mouth disease even more than I did when I was younger. LOL (Ask Ryan about his temporary avatar.)

Thanks for posting the link to the new Viewliners. The design of the new H unit has pros and cons, but the pros are probably more important. Personally, I like the old design better, and hubby would have too, but his limitations weren't so great that we couldn't get him into the private bathroom and then he could close the door and manage without help. Honestly, though, for those with severe mobility limitations, the new design will probably be much easier to transfer to from a wheelchair. I'm very glad there is no need to go into the hall to get into the restroom; that would have been more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back