Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's CL has four VL baggage cars on it. Three looked brand-spanking new and one has more road grime on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Eagle with a Heritage bag would indicate that there was a shortage of operable heritage bags and that was the reason for the bag-coach only on it in the past. Now with the heritage bags being replaced the surplus allows Amtrak to assign a heritage for now and probably a V-2 once the last batch of V-2s are delivered and accepted. Also the training of personnel will need completion.

Educated guess: the Sunset Limited to New Orleans

will soon get the bag-dorm, while the full baggage car will run through from the Eagle. I think this matches baggage traffic loads, and points towards the PIP plan....

will soon get the bag-dorm, while the full baggage car will run through from the Eagle. I think this matches baggage traffic loads, and points towards the PIP plan....
So for the Sunset Limited when the Eagle and the Limited combine the train will have both a bag-dorm and a full baggage car?

So for the Sunset Limited when the Eagle and the Limited combine the train will have both a bag-dorm and a full baggage car?
That is my guess...

With only 10 bag-dorm cars, where would enough bag-dorms to equip the SL come from? Figure 3 bag-dorms are going to the NYP section of the LSL and 2 to the Cardinal, then have 2 standbys in NYP and CHI. Which leaves 3 bag-dorms for servicing and ? Having only 10 bag-dorms does not support an efficient use of equipment, so we'll what happens with the bag-dorms.

The Eagle with a Heritage bag would indicate that there was a shortage of operable heritage bags and that was the reason for the bag-coach only on it in the past. Now with the heritage bags being replaced the surplus allows Amtrak to assign a heritage for now and probably a V-2 once the last batch of V-2s are delivered and accepted. Also the training of personnel will need completion.
Hi,

The "heritage baggage car" I saw the other day on the Eagle was a former passenger car that was converted into a baggage car. It is the same type of "converted baggage car" that I have seen on the train recently. I have only seen the train about once a week.

AR

I believe the new Viewliner baggage-dorm cars are intended for the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal. Placing one of these cars on either the sunset Limited or the Eagle makes little sense, since you would still need a transition dorm also between the lower level baggage and the Superliners.

With only 10 bag-dorm cars, where would enough bag-dorms to equip the SL come from? Figure 3 bag-dorms are going to the NYP section of the LSL and 2 to the Cardinal, then have 2 standbys in NYP and CHI. Which leaves 3 bag-dorms for servicing and ? Having only 10 bag-dorms does not support an efficient use of equipment, so we'll what happens with the bag-dorms.
I don't believe any bag dorms will go to any Superliner train. It just doesn't make any sense. Yep, they will go on the LSL and the Card.

10 cars for a service where 5 are required is a tremendous spare factor. Perhaps 2 more will end up on 65/66/67, which I could see utilizing 1.5 sleepers. Perhaps they'd make sense on the Pennsylvanian-Capitol combo.

I believe the new Viewliner baggage-dorm cars are intended for the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal. Placing one of these cars on either the sunset Limited or the Eagle makes little sense, since you would still need a transition dorm also between the lower level baggage and the Superliners.
I see them converting the Trans Dorms into Full Roomette Sleepers. Might be nice to convert the Lower Level "Office" into a Loungette.

Why don't they have single level lounges anymore? The cafe car is uncomfortable and usually looks derelict and non-appealing. I know there are some on Acela and Cascades, but what about long distance?

The Amfleet cafe is considered the lounge car as well. At the time they were built, Amtrak thought that the design would be desired by passengers.

Since they're operationally okay and not knocking on death's door like the Heritage fleet is, and since Amtrak doesn't see the monetary gain by having additional or replacement cafe cars (like they do for the sleeper cars,) there's no reason for Amtrak to set aside the money to replace them yet.

AMTK 61053 is in service on the Amtrak #5(02) out of Chicago today. This either marks the beginning of regular service for Viewliner II baggage cars on the California Zephyr, or this set of the Zephyr was given a new baggage car so it would be a better sight for the executives riding on the end. I suppose the second second option is a bit improbable, right? Right?

Conductor confirmed my suspicions. Going to be used on 5 and 6.
So that others (who have not memorized the numbering system of Amtrak's many trains) don't have to click thru Amtrak.com to get the info, by #5 and 6 he refers to the California Zephyr.

Conductor confirmed my suspicions. Going to be used on 5 and 6.
So that others (who have not memorized the numbering system of Amtrak's many trains) don't have to click thru Amtrak.com to get the info, by #5 and 6 he refers to the California Zephyr.
Of course just giving the name of the train should not be that hard. but then again that does not sound satisfactorily geeky, does it? :p

That is my guess...
Sorry, I said "bag dorm" when I meant "Superliner bag-coach". *sigh*

My vision is that the Texas Eagle runs with a full baggage car and transition dorm, while the Sunset Limited to New Orleans runs with a coach-bag and no transition dorm (like the Portland section of the Empire Builder). The 'tail is wagging the dog' on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited combo these days, with heavier loads going up the Texas Eagle side, so this is what I figure will happen.

My apologies, I was just typing it out as fast as possible so I could get some sleep before Chicago.
I was grumbling, but not barking. I ain't mad atcha. Appreciate your input. But some of us on the outside just don't speak the lingo of the insiders. :mellow:

That is my guess...
Sorry, I said "bag dorm" when I meant "Superliner bag-coach". *sigh*

My vision is that the Texas Eagle runs with a full baggage car and transition dorm, while the Sunset Limited to New Orleans runs with a coach-bag and no transition dorm (like the Portland section of the Empire Builder). The 'tail is wagging the dog' on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited combo these days, with heavier loads going up the Texas Eagle side, so this is what I figure will happen.
Now that actually makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back