Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMTK 61053 is in service on the Amtrak #5(02) out of Chicago today. This either marks the beginning of regular service for Viewliner II baggage cars on the California Zephyr, or this set of the Zephyr was given a new baggage car so it would be a better sight for the executives riding on the end. I suppose the second second option is a bit improbable, right? Right?
I guess the answer is "No, it is probable" since Amtrak #5(03) is heading west with a heritage baggage car.

Saw Viewliner I 62014 today, with newly applied name "Croton River", and newly reapplied Phase IV Decals. I sort of thought the names would come with restriping in III, but I guess not.

Saw Viewliner I 62014 today, with newly applied name "Croton River", and newly reapplied Phase IV Decals. I sort of thought the names would come with restriping in III, but I guess not.
Nice! You have a pic?

For some reason I cannot quote, but the Croton River was on the LSL. It was actually right behind my sleeping car last night. I should of taken a picture. The decals did not seem all to new, close up when I was looking at it in Toledo and in Chicago.

For some reason I cannot quote, but the Croton River was on the LSL. It was actually right behind my sleeping car last night. I should of taken a picture. The decals did not seem all to new, close up when I was looking at it in Toledo and in Chicago.
Ahh ok. So the car wasn't repainted (or decaled)?

I'm not too sure, because I didn't pay *too* much attention to it, but a few glances (it was on both LSL that I took that day, 48 and 49) and it didn't seem like it was repainted or redecaled. I really wish I knew it was different though, I would of taken a photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too sure, because I didn't pay *too* much attention to it, but a few glances (it was on both LSL that I took that day, 48 and 49) and it didn't seem like it was repainted or redecaled. I really wish I knew it was different though, I would of taken a photo.
Ah. Thanks man. Did you happen to notice the cars name plate said Viewliner or the cars name?

I think somebody would have noticed had it been there for very long. The decals both of the name and the entirety of the car itself all looked new. The old nameplate which the name decal was placed on looks every bit of its 20 years in age however.

I have been given to understand that the Viewliner Is will not receive their Phase III striping until they get upgraded to Viewliner II layout.
What about the Amfleet II's? When will they receive their Phase III?

The California Zephyr #5 left Chicago with a Viewliner baggage car today.

051015-5-new%20baggage.jpg

It's AMTK 61049 that's on Amtrak #5(05). This is the third Viewliner baggage car that's been in service on the California Zephyr. Maybe this is the charm that gets them in service from now on.

The green lights on the sides of the Viewliners glow a lot brighter than the lights on the Superliners.

I have been given to understand that the Viewliner Is will not receive their Phase III striping until they get upgraded to Viewliner II layout.
OK, that sort of makes sense. However, there seems to be no schedule for doing that whatsoever. Is it even still supposed to happen? 2017? 2018?

Does Amtrak even have a budget to upgrade the existing Viewliner sleepers? I can see this becoming one of those things which is planned, and then just never happens.

Sorry it took so long to post these,,, but they are photos of the CZ 9 9-7 of the new bag car. I read a post here in Lincoln that they were on the train (we got on at the tail end in Salt Lake so did not see them) so when we got to Omaha i positioned myself in the forward car, jumped off and got these pics. We were something like four hours so i knew we wouldst dawdle i bevel this is the first time they ran the new bag cars in service on the CZ.

9-9-15%202_zpstwhina2v.jpg
9-9-15%201_zpslyf2wyky.jpg
9-9-15%207_zps16fj4yto.jpg
9-9-15%205_zpsxevrt1yn.jpg

It appears this particular crew isn't using the shelves.
From my perspective, there seems to be an inverse relationship between seniority and shelf use. The higher the seniority, the less likely the shelves will be used (the old "this is how we've always done it and I'll never change" mentality). I personally love the upper shelves. Put all the carry-ons, duffles and hanging bags there so you can better stack and arrange the larger suitcases on the floor. Also reduces bending over to place or pick up small items on the floor. Win-win.

I'm struggling to find a use for the bottom shelves, though. They would have been nice to keep bags off the wet floor in leaky Heritage cars. In the Viewliners, they just take up space. Using them greatly reduces both vertical and horizontal storage space.

For some reason, Amtrak #5(08) has two Viewliner baggage cars behind its engines. They appear to be the AMTK 61038 and 61053. The latter was in the consist of #6 yesterday, so the former is the one they added to the consist. This California Zephyr was right on time when it came through Agency, Iowa.

From my perspective, there seems to be an inverse relationship between seniority and shelf use. The higher the seniority, the less likely the shelves will be used (the old "this is how we've always done it and I'll never change" mentality). I personally love the upper shelves. Put all the carry-ons, duffles and hanging bags there so you can better stack and arrange the larger suitcases on the floor. Also reduces bending over to place or pick up small items on the floor. Win-win.

I'm struggling to find a use for the bottom shelves, though. They would have been nice to keep bags off the wet floor in leaky Heritage cars. In the Viewliners, they just take up space. Using them greatly reduces both vertical and horizontal storage space.
Does it look like the bike racks have been installed?

Does it look like the bike racks have been installed?
Yes, the bike racks are part of the shelving system.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back