Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trains in question are the Carolinian, Palmetto, Silver Meteor and Silver Star.
Sorry, that was announced recently. I simply forgot.

Checking Amtrak.com I see that the new services you mention, along with the Heartland flyer, are listed as "Walk-Up Checked Bicycle Service", as opposed to "Walk-On Bicycle Service' which lists the traditional state supported trains along with the relatively new Capitol Limited service.

I'm guessing that the distinction between the two types is that "Walk-up Checked" loading and unloading requires the presence of an Amtrak employee at the baggage car, whereas the "Walk-On" in its many configurations is self loading.

The Capitol Limited is a strange hybrid. All the literature leading up to the service introduction stated you roll your bike to the last car (a coach bag) and load it yourself. But both of the times I used the service, the bike car was the second of 3 coaches; and it appeared that you had to get someone to open the baggage compartment door. I later learned that the door between the vestibule and bike compartment is kept open; and in fact I detrained that way without bothering the conductor. But a newbie wouldn't know that, or even know a coach from a coach bag.

The experience was so painless that I wish there were enough coach bags for all the SL trains,.

Interesting mix of bike policies. If I'm reading it right, on the segments of the Carolinian that are congruent with the state route there's no extra charge for walk up bikes, but elsewhere there is. The Heartland Flyer doesn't charge extra either and allows walk ups at unstaffed stations -- but maybe it's not V2 bags? I'd guess its different equipment but I've never been on it.

If Amtrak can get its head wrapped around state train best practices for walk ups - ie on/off at every station and no extra charge - it'll have a winner.

The trains in question are the Carolinian, Palmetto, Silver Meteor and Silver Star.
Sorry, that was announced recently. I simply forgot.

Checking Amtrak.com I see that the new services you mention, along with the Heartland flyer, are listed as "Walk-Up Checked Bicycle Service", as opposed to "Walk-On Bicycle Service' which lists the traditional state supported trains along with the relatively new Capitol Limited service.

I'm guessing that the distinction between the two types is that "Walk-up Checked" loading and unloading requires the presence of an Amtrak employee at the baggage car, whereas the "Walk-On" in its many configurations is self loading.

The Capitol Limited is a strange hybrid. All the literature leading up to the service introduction stated you roll your bike to the last car (a coach bag) and load it yourself. But both of the times I used the service, the bike car was the second of 3 coaches; and it appeared that you had to get someone to open the baggage compartment door. I later learned that the door between the vestibule and bike compartment is kept open; and in fact I detrained that way without bothering the conductor. But a newbie wouldn't know that, or even know a coach from a coach bag.

The experience was so painless that I wish there were enough coach bags for all the SL trains,.
I haven't completely kept up with the new bicycle policies and services (haven't been on a bike since I was a kid), but why is the Capitol Limited carrying bikes in a Superliner coach-baggage - and importantly, why was money spent to equip that car for bicycles - when the new Viewliner baggage cars come ready to carry bikes? Seems like wasted effort.

This seems like an appropriate place to put these pictures:

edge7blueshirt.jpg

edge-clvlnd-01_zps690caf21.jpg

Ts0901-Bean-bag-numbered-web-500x500.jpg
Well, I liked it best in the original post.

Not that I had cracked the code. LOL. It was Amtrak Blue who showed those skillz.

Thanks go to him and Thirdrail7 for this good news.

Now I'm hoping to see the last 12 of the bag cars later this week. But I've so dampened down my expectations, if we get even 6 more cars I'm ready to break into song, Oh Happy Day!

AmtrakBlue BTW is not a he. At she didn't look like a he the last time we met.
Actually, it's in her mini-profile displayed on her posts, but in words, not a pix.

My bad. I'm really glad to see that she's such a full-fledged and productive member of this board since we're so overwhelmingly male otherwise. SarahZ is good (and posts her picture, LOL. But we could probably use more female gender commentators.

The Capitol Limited in Toledo uses boxes and puts them in the baggage car.
At stations on the CL with checked baggage you have the option, checked in a box or roll-on. Checked ($15 for box and $10 for handling) would be preferable to roll-on ($20) if you were connecting say to Florida since you wouldn't have to pay the $20 for each segment. And you wouldn't have to worry about the bike during the layover. Unless of course you wanted to do some sightseeing during the layover.

The Capitol Limited in Toledo uses boxes and puts them in the baggage car.
At stations on the CL with checked baggage you have the option, checked in a box or roll-on. Checked ($15 for box and $10 for handling) would be preferable to roll-on ($20) if you were connecting say to Florida since you wouldn't have to pay the $20 for each segment. And you wouldn't have to worry about the bike during the layover. Unless of course you wanted to do some sightseeing during the layover.
I go to Toledo at least once a week. They don't do roll ons.

The Cap Limited is listed on the Amtrak website as being available for walk on (with reservation) The CL route page shows this as effective 9-15.. Of course, that does not mean it is actually happening yet in the real world.

The Cap Limited is listed on the Amtrak website as being available for walk on (with reservation) The CL route page shows this as effective 9-15.. Of course, that does not mean it is actually happening yet in the real world.
Of course it is. I don't know where Tyler got his information, but anyone showing up to the station with a bike would be pretty angry if the link on the reservation page turned out to be phony.

tol.jpg

Of course it is. I don't know where Tyler got his information, but anyone showing up to the station with a bike would be pretty angry if the link on the reservation page turned out to be phony.

tol.jpg
Where I'm getting my information? First hand experience, in fact I was there this morning, and they always pack them in boxes. I go 1-5 Times a week and it's mostly the Capitol Limited since it's the first in at 1139.

I suspect it is not impossible. If Tyler wants to strengthen his case he needs to ask the station staff at Toledo as to what the actual situation is rather than just observing. If the station staff says they don't do it, well then that would be it I suppose. OTOH if .... I guess you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it is not impossible. If Tyler wants to strengthen his case he needs to ask the station staff at Toledo as to what the actual situation is rather than just observing. If the station staff says they don't do it, well then that would be it I suppose. OTOH if .... I guess you get the idea.
That is logical. He should inquire further. Because bikes are in boxes might not mean they don't have the walk on service. It might mean the bike owners don't want to walk them on. They might prefer their bikes in boxes. Or that the walk on space is sold out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

The staff at Toledo is irrelevant. If a person already has their travel documents (such as an e-ticket) and a bike tag, they wouldn't need to deal with the station personnel.

The best bet is to talk to the crew on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back