Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The failure to deliver the "second round test" cars disturbs me. Are they *still* working out design details?

I guess after what happened at Nippon Sharyo, maybe it's worth spending a lot of time on design details. But still...

First four of the last 12 baggage cars are moving to Hialeah today on 97(18). Two more batches of four to move on 97(19) and 97(20).

Last I saw Diner deliveries were to begin in February.

Last I saw Diner deliveries were to begin in February.
Thanks for this tip. February would be OK by me. I'd happily take a few diners on February 29. (it will be a leap year. :) )

Hope things keep close to your source's schedule.

Well, Amtrak now says the Silver Star will run dinerless through the end of April. That may be an indication of when they're expecting the new diners to show up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the Silver Star will run Dinerless until the end of April?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it true that the deliveries of the new Diners and Sleepers have been delayed by another year? Is it also true that Amtrak management is intending to eliminate the Silver Star?

Is it true that the deliveries of the new Diners and Sleepers have been delayed by another year? Is it also true that Amtrak management is intending to eliminate the Silver Star?
Actually along the same vein it is just the first step towards eliminating all long distance trains :p Juuust kidding.

Who told you all this?

My crystal ball says the Viewliner II Diners will be in revenue service by April. But, what do I know.

What "second round test"?
The original statement from Amtrak and CAF was that

One "pilot car" of each type will be released for testing. Then they will be returned to CAF for modifications.

(This happened.)

Then a second "pilot car" of each type will be released for testing. Then they will be returned to CAF with final design decisions made and mass production will start.

(This happened for the *baggage car only*. The second pilot cars for the other three types have never been seen in the wild.)

I don't know if the second pilot cars will need to go back. The 61000 only went back once, and 61001 never went back at all. (They were the second pilots)

I'm sitting here at the Savannah station starting at the Palmetto. First, why'd they put the baggage on the rear? Winter arrangement? Thought that was only for the sleepers. Anyway, first time I noticed the black vents on top. Ugly & not very aerodynamic. Finally, they are filthy. No longer new.

I'm sitting here at the Savannah station starting at the Palmetto. First, why'd they put the baggage on the rear? Winter arrangement? Thought that was only for the sleepers. Anyway, first time I noticed the black vents on top. Ugly & not very aerodynamic. Finally, they are filthy. No longer new.
Bag is on the back because they combined 89/90 with regionals that ran close to the same time as them. Therefore 3 coaches are added/removed at WAS. Putting the bag on the back allows easy attachment/detachment.

Where did you hear those rumors?
I saw this on 4RR. I know their information is not always correct, but they've been pretty reliable lately.
In other recent news from 4RR:

The Silver Meteor lost its diner and sleepers and is being cancelled shortly.

Amtrak no longer runs state services.

CAF got the Acela replacement order.

Illinois is backing out of the Charger order.

etc.

Yes, the site has been more reliable lately.

No, that does not mean it is reliable.

Where did you hear those rumors?
I saw this on 4RR. I know their information is not always correct, but they've been pretty reliable lately.
NOW IT'S BEEN REPORTED HERE TOO, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back